R. I. P. Ennio Morricone

ciarlese

Apparently, Rome is renaming its Auditorium Parco della Musica (according to Wikipedia the second most visited cultural music venue in the world) after Morricone:

https://www.cinematographe.it/news/ennio-morricone-auditorium-parco-della-musica-intitolato-al-maestro/

My purely fragmentary Italian and Google Translate are not sufficient to confirm if "intitolare" means they're really *renaming* it or "only" dedicating it to him; perhaps @TownerFan can clarify.

On 7/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently, Rome is renaming its Auditorium Parco della Musica (according to Wikipedia the second most visited cultural music venue in the world) after Morricone:

https://www.cinematographe.it/news/ennio-morricone-auditorium-parco-della-musica-intitolato-al-maestro/

My purely fragmentary Italian and Google Translate are not sufficient to confirm if "intitolare" means they're really *renaming* it or "only" dedicating it to him; perhaps @TownerFan can clarify.

It means "renaming". The previous name was "Auditorium Parco della Musica", the new name is "Auditorium Ennio Morricone". It is written a bit more explicitly here: https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cultura/musica/2020/07/17/campidoglio-dice-si-lauditorium-si-chiamera-morricone_0a2922ce-3dc3-41d7-bc62-aea29e80ea57.html

A Morricone concert was just announced in Seoul on August 1. I really didn't expect to attend a concert until way into the future, but with low Corona numbers here - around 50 a day throughout the whole country, I feel ok going.  No word on the program yet:
http://www.sac.or.kr/SacHome/perform/detailE?searchSeq=43571 

Hi, guys. I'm new here.

I have a doubt: I listened yesterday the Fistful and Dollars More extended soundtracks from the Italian GDM record label, but I found both to have poor sound  quality. Is it just me or the CD's really do have a bad music production?

Many thanks.

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Some tracks are in mono but overall it sounds fine.

The worldwide 8 tracks remasters releases are better ??

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The other cues are mono as they should be.

The score was recorded as mono??

1 hour ago, Boreli said:

The score was recordes as mono??

Who knows?

The 7 stereo tracks were probably recorded separate, for the LP only.

Films of that era were almost always mono releases.

The scores themselves were often recorded on 3 tracks- then mixed down to mono.

They didn't always save the three track masters, sadly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Since Morricone's passing this summer, my rather meager EM collection has exploded! Probably some 70-80 new titles in my iTunes (aided, in large part, by some friendly EM collectors on FSM and Maintitles), and sampling even more on streaming services. Guess I've listened to some 200 Morricones in total, that were unfamiliar to me before. And to think I still only own some 1/5th of his entire output.

Anyone else had a Morricone resurgence after his passing?

morricone.jpg

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

You have the Italian version of LEGEND? Have to admit, not as elegant as the regular, international cover.

I don't particularly like the cover, but it's the original OST program, which is longer than the release with the nicer cover.

It's still available at an affordable price.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00002470Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, but I'm content with my shorter version with a nicer cover. I wasn't even aware the Italian version differed in content. But each Morricone score has so many soundtrack versions, with different covers, it's a jungle to get lost in.

I did a comparison, and the original OST has some exclusive tracks that I consider essential.

Shortly before the man's passing, I purchased this CD of arrangements for the guitar. As I've told you before, it's great! :)

Morricone: Once Upon a Time, Arrangements for Guitar | HIGHRESAUDIO

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks, but I'm content with my shorter version with a nicer cover.

You shall not judge an OST by its cover!

;)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I listened to it back when we talked about it. It's not bad or anything, it just didn't do much for me. I was fairly indifferent.

Maybe it's just one of those albums that require repeated listening to fully appreciate.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

I listened to it back when we talked about it. It's not bad or anything, it just didn't do much for me. I was fairly indifferent.

Because it's only one instrument? I'm asking because a friend of mine doesn't like solo guitar or solo piano, no matter what music it is.

I just noticed the guitarist is Enea Leone. The son of Ennio?

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Because it's only one instrument? I'm asking because a friend of mine doesn't like solo guitar or solo piano, no matter what music it is.

I just noticed the guitarist is Enea Leone. The son of Ennio?

The son of Sergio, you mean. No, it doesn't appear so. Just a coincidence. Sergio Leone only had two kids, AFAIK, Raffaella and Andrea. And they were both born in the 60s (Enea, no relation, was born in 1978):

Wolf+Wall+Street+Milan+Premiere+0yh80KCq

I don't mind a single instrument or solo instrument adaptations of 'bigger' pieces, like in this case. I don't know why it didn't connect with me. Perhaps the dynamic range, or virtuosity, wasn't pronounced enough.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don't mind a single instrument or solo instrument adaptations of 'bigger' pieces, like in this case. I don't know why it didn't connect with me. Perhaps the dynamic range, or virtuosity, wasn't pronounced enough.

My main complaint about the album is that the GBU theme is so understated. Otherwise the album is close to perfection, and without flubs and timing issues.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

The son of Sergio, you mean. 

It's funny that I always mix up Ennio Morricone and Segio Leone.

I have the same problem with Vince Vaughn and Vincent D'Onofrio.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The groundskeeper at the cemetery where he's buried had to restore his plot over the weekend.

Something about " turning over in his grave....".

😎

On 7/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, bruce marshall said:

Chris Malone is working on a project......

WAS wworking

• 6 months later...