Technique

Gustavo

Hello! I am starting community college, I am also majoring in music as well. I was wondering how you studied music and music theory at a young age? 

(should move this to general discussions)

It would depend on in which country you are going to school. If in the US, to be very honestest and realistic, you probably won't get much of a musical education, and it will really be on you to learn. A great many classes that are given in Europe and Asia are not in the US, and unfortunately getting a tutor would be difficult I think. I went to conservatory in Europe, DM anytime with questions.

YouTube is basically the best way to learn in this day and age. I taught myself to write music just from a combination of a handful of tutorials and trail-and-error/practice. It's not as hard as you'd think.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

YouTube is basically the best way to learn in this day and age. I taught myself to write music just from a combination of a handful of tutorials and trail-and-error/practice. It's not as hard as you'd think.

Exactly. And try to find some good videos or websites/ books on music analysis. That will really help you move along

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Just to be clear, you are not asking JW.  

Oh, so he's one of those people...

6 hours ago, Gustavo said:

Hello! I am starting community college, I am also majoring in music as well. I was wondering how you studied music and music theory at a young age? 

Just to be clear, in case you think you are talking to John Williams himself; the man is elderly. He doesn't use computers or even know this website exists. He's probably never used the internet in his entire life.