What device does Williams use for film playback?

Fabulin

Yeah probably he uses whatever is set up for him to view the film. He probably has a Blu-ray player operator on hand to assist him with such pesky technical tasks.

Seriously I don't think that today, a movie in preparation goes out of the studios... In any format.

I think the composer have to go to the studios to see any version of the movie he works on.

Already this is a problem that the scripts circulates often too much... Think about an unfinished version of a scene or a movie...

54 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Seriously I don't think a movie in preparation goes out of the studios... In any format.

I think the composer have to go to the studios to see any version of the movie he works on.

Already this is a problem that the scripts circulates often too much... Think about an unfinished version of a scene or a movie...

Oh I doubt that very much, especially now at his age. Even back in the ET days, a projector was set up at his house next to his piano (see video below). While I don't really know how it's done today, it should be trivial to do with a computer system and an external monitor that displays the time code and cue points, with his assistant loading up new clips as they are sent over the Internet or transported with a USB stick.

But just imagine him working at his house and some kids are blasting star wars to him from the street. The man himself comes out and greets them!  :)

On 7/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, Incanus said:

Yeah probably he uses whatever is set up for him to view the film. He probably has a Blu-ray player operator on hand to assist him with such pesky technical tasks.

In fact, the music editor is the one who views the film repeatedly and prepares the sync points for Williams (according to the 1980 documentary), so I assume the editor is the one who handles the BluRay or whatever. Williams probably just checks the scene a couple of times during the day.