Return of the Jedi SE rough cut ending

mxsch

I'm once have found this video and then lost it, but finally rediscovered it, that's the only copy on the whole YT. I have no idea what's it's source, but it is very cool, so I want to share it with you all. This dynamic cuts of planets are much better than final version.

This track was used as temp music, and VC closely replicates it.

And to throw dumb question, what "9m4" for example means in cue list?

4 minutes ago, mxsch said:

So, if film shot on digital, there will be no markings like this?

Nah they still use that system today.

Flip through various pages of this thread to see:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20819-the-complete-cue-lists-thread/

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah they still use that system today.

Flip through various pages of this thread to see:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20819-the-complete-cue-lists-thread/

Yeah, I've seen this. So, they separate movie into digital reels or what?

4 minutes ago, mxsch said:

Yeah, I've seen this. So, they separate movie into digital reels or what?

Apparently so, yea

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Makes sense to use a bookmarking system like reel during production, since timestamps would be constantly changing in the edit

Indeed. That does make a lot of sense when you look at it that way. For some reason no one has ever explained it to me that way before.

3 hours ago, Biodome said:

A reel for a sound film is closer to 11 minutes (standartized as 1000 ft of 35mm film, run at 24 frames per second)

Interesting. Like I said, must depend on the production. I have certainly seen reels in the 15-20 minute range before. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the format they shoot on, what they're finishing in, etc.

It started out a lame ass piece of music for that scene and what JW delivered ended up the same way.

If Williams was able to come up with something on his own without this temp track, maybe it could have turned out better. It seems like Lucas was deadset on this ethnic sound derived from Indian entertainment typical of the enlightened 90s.

17 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Indeed. That does make a lot of sense when you look at it that way. For some reason no one has ever explained it to me that way before.

Interesting. Like I said, must depend on the production. I have certainly seen reels in the 15-20 minute range before. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the format they shoot on, what they're finishing in, etc.

Each film of the OT had12/13 reels (about 10 minutes each).

Each film of the PT had 6/7 reels (about 20 minutes each).

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of a relief to see that, as ever, it wasn't Williams' bad instincts that led to a lousy result.  I used to prefer "Victory Celebration" to "Ewok Celebration"; now I've grown up, and I don't really care for either of them.

Actually, I find an unexpected poignancy in Giacchino's Muzak version of VC from Star Tours II, thanks to the out-of-left-field cantina counterpoint ("Ah, guys, remember when we were all back at that crazy bar...?"): (it's at 8:26 if the URL timestamp doesn't work)