Harry Potter Box recommendations

mxsch

Philosophers Stone:

Harry Gets His Wand

Gryffindor Wins the House Cup

CoS:

Petrified Justin

Transformation Class (alternate segment)

Fawkes Heals Harry (alternate)

Azkaban:

Trouble Takes Many Forms

On the Bridge - Remembering Mother

Summoning the Patronus

The Executioner

The Rescue of Sirius

Sirius Says Goodbye / Turning Time Back

If you loved the scores in the films, and felt the albums didn't include a number of important cues, then the box set is a no-brainer. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, bollemanneke said:

Even just holding the box set or putting my hand on it from time to time (yes, I do that) fills me with a sense of magic, even if HP3 is not 100% chronological and complete.

That irks me so deeply.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed again. I even sometimes re-download the two podcast interviews with MM just to re-live those happy months.

Doing the same for all the recent Mike podcasts, it's so nice to hear him speaking about his process, I never get tired of it.

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:
  • an alternate opening for Buckbeak's Flight (this was replaced by an insert in the film and on album)

How do we know it was ever recorded?

• an alternate stinger (only the revised stinger was included)

What was that again?

• and some missing/incorrect film takes (the film take used for Sir Cadogan Again is missing and Befriending The Hippogriff uses the wrong take)

Are you sure that they use an alternate take in the film for Sir Carogan Again? To me it all seems like edits and adjustions by the sound team.

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There was an original take with a quiet leadup.

The revised opening is loud percussion.

The film presumably uses the revised opening as intended.

The OST track "Buckbeak's Flight", also present on the LLL, shifts that revised opening to earlier, revealing some of the original opening buildup after it ends.

The OST track "Mischief Managed" as well as the film credits shift the revised opening even earlier, revealing even more of that original opening with harp runs and such.

I feel the film version really doesn't work great so I would have been completely fine with just the OST track + the original take included.

What was that again?

The twinkly DVD menu transition thing, early Aunt Marge Points the Finger. Or That's A Lie. Not sure which is which and whose earlier version it is.

Are you sure that they use an alternate take in the film for Sir Carogan Again? To me it all seems like edits and adjustions by the sound team.

@crumbs, show him that side by side comparison of rips. There are performance differences, it's a different take, though we're not sure at what speed it was recorded, if it was slowed down artificially or not. From the cue list title (Sir Cadogan for Dufay Ensemble and Percussion) I'm completely sure JW wrote, recorded and intended the percussion too, it's not just a sound team mockjob.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

What was that again?

The first version of 1M4 Aunt Marge Points the Finger, heard here at 1.19:

They only included the revised version (1M4X) on the LLL. Not sure why they didn't just include both versions with the other stinger, oh well.

It was recorded, confirmed by someone who worked on the set. They just made the decision not to include the cue with its original opening as a bonus track.

As @Holko said, even if the percussion was an addition by the sound effects team, after slowing down the album take and comparing with the film version, there are performance differences. It's unknown whether it was recorded at this slower tempo or artificially slowed down, but that's a separate point.

I mean depending on your point of view, none, really; The OST always had the Sir Cadogan cue, and it's on the LLL too.  We just don't have the additional percussion instruments heard under it in the film.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

But yea, there was no room to include the cue without the percussion intro, unfortunately.

Look, Jay, I really truly appreciate all this great info, especially you finally straight up admitting you didn't have it all, but please stop this specific kind of bullshitting. Disc 2 is only 75 minutes long, 2 of which are taken up by a useless not great sounding trailer that wasn't even written or recorded by JW. The Buckbeak cue is 2:10 long.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean depending on your point of view, none, really; The OST always had the Sir Cadogan cue, and it's on the LLL too.  We just don't have the additional percussion instruments heard under it in the film.

And the different take with slight performance differences used in the film.

Just now, Holko said:

Look, Jay, I really truly appreciate all this great info, especially you finally straight up admitting you didn't have it all, but please stop this specific kind of bullshitting. Disc 2 is only 75 minutes long, 2 of which are taken up by a useless not great sounding trailer that wasn't even written or recorded by JW. The Buckbeak cue is 2:10 long.

Rude.

How detailed was the sheet music leak? Wouldn't that reveal if the percussion in 3M5/5A Bonding With The Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again matches the percussion heard in the final film, previously speculated as a sound effects team addition?

4 minutes ago, blondheim said:

So how much of the Defay Ensemble music are we missing?

Seems like it's only 3M5A, Sir Cadogan Again. The music at the end of the film is 100% the same as the album take (albeit truncated).

7 minutes ago, blondheim said:

So in total we are essentially missing some alternates and film versions of cues?

Yea

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

And the diffent take with slight performance differences used in the film.

Right, that's why I meant depending on your point of view.  We have the essence of what JW wrote, just not multiple takes of the same music.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How detailed was the sheet music leak? Wouldn't that reveal if the percussion in 3M5/5A Bonding With The Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again matches the percussion heard in the final film, previously speculated as a sound effects team addition?

I literally linked to the sheet music page in my post.  Brothersound posting that was the first time I'd seen that; It wasn't in the old sheet music leak from 10+ years ago everyone has

Seems like it's only 3M5A, Sir Cadogan Again. The music at the end of the film is 100% the same as the album take (albeit truncated).

I wonder if there were 3 takes recorded, or rather 3 main versions which could have been edits of multiple takes

1) the 3M13 tempo with percussion (what we see in the sheets)

2) the 3M13 tempo without percussion (on the OST/LLL, and used at the end of the film)

3) the 3M5A tempo with percussion and fermatta ending (seen in the new sheet page posted, heard in the film where intended)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Right, that's why I meant depending on your point of view.  We have the essence of what JW wrote, just not both of the two different takes of the same written music

Out of interest, was there ever discussion about including the film version of Quidditch, Third Year, sans the choral overlay? I assume the choir was recorded as a separate element and Cuaron just opted to use the original recording without the overlay (seeing as the music doesn't sound artificially manipulated in the film mix or anything).

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I literally linked to the sheet music page in my post.  Brothersound posting that was the first time I'd seen that; It wasn't in the old sheet music leak from 10+ years ago everyone has

Sorry, I can't read sheet music and figured that page you linked was only an excerpt of a more comprehensive leak (not just the recorder part, which seems to be the only fragment of that cue to leak).

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Sorry to belabor this point, but the LLL has all the Defay Ensemble music from the original album? Or is it truncated and/or different in some way from the OST?

Yes, it's all there at the end of track 10 on disc 1. The LLL has pretty much everything the OST has, barring a cymbal crash at the start of Buckbeak's Flight in the credits suite (and a few subtle mixing differences in places).

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Out of interest, was there ever discussion about including the film version of Quidditch, Third Year, sans the choral overlay? I assume the choir was recorded as a separate element and Cuaron just opted to use the original recording without the overlay (seeing as the music doesn't sound artificially manipulated in the film mix or anything).

There would have been no room for something like that, and I doubt JW would have approved it

7 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Sorry to belabor this point, but the LLL has all the Defay Ensemble music from the original album? Or is it truncated and/or different in some way from the OST?

It's the same on the OST and on the LLL.

On the OST, it appears in the track "Hagrid The Professor" from 0:00-0:30.  On the LLL, it appears in the track "The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan" from 0:47-end.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sorry, I can't read sheet music and figured that page you linked was only an excerpt of a more comprehensive leak (not just the recorder part, which seems to be the only fragment of that cue to leak).

I can't either, but you can start to learn by looking at this stuff enough.  If you pull it up and look at it, you can see there's stuff going on in the first 6 bars, yea?  Then it's empty for 24 straight bars, right?  But there is a symbol in bar 30?

The music in the first 6 bars is the "Bonding With The Hippogriff cue" dropped from the film, but on the LLL at the end of Befriending the Hippogriff.  The notation on bar 30 indicates a fermatta ending, which is how the Cadogan music ends in the 3M5A scene in the film, but not how it ends in the originally intended 3M13 version, like heard on the OST/LLL.

The LLL has pretty much everything the OST has, barring a cymbal crash at the start of Buckbeak's Flight in the credits suite (and a few subtle mixing differences in places).

Can you remind me what mixing differences there are?

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The LLL has pretty much everything the OST has, barring a cymbal crash at the start of Buckbeak's Flight in the credits suite

Interesting! Was this omission a request by JW?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, the film version of Quidditch, Third Year, does not include the choir? :( That's disappointing, I always liked that part with the choir.

Just listen to the LLL set then. :)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

There would have been no room for something like that, and I doubt JW would have approved it

Oh, I meant having the non-vocal version in the film score track (Page 394 And Quidditch, Third Year) and the choral version in the bonus section (Quidditch, Third Year, which presumably needed to match the OST version).

Fair enough if JW wouldn't have approved it though, if he didn't intend it that way. Just curious because I always preferred the film version and would've loved to hear it clean. The huge orchestral swell that gives way to an eerie silence, in conjunction with the striking visuals, works very effectively in the film (moreso than the choral outburst that JW intended). I think Cuaron got this one right.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, the film version of Quidditch, Third Year, does not include the choir? :( That's disappointing, I always liked that part with the choir.

I haven't seen the movie in years.

It does have the choir. And I don't like it, I prefer the film version.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

No, all 3 released versions of Quidditch, Third Year include the choir (twice on the LLL and once on the OST).

A version without vocals (as it appears in the film) has never been released, sadly.