Last Crusade sound specifics

mxsch

This thread is making me pull out Williams' original Indy albums to compare. I'd buy a definitive release, were it to happen but in the meantime, my 9, 11 and 13 track concert suite presentations serve me adequately.

(I didn't like the sound of the Concorde, not that it wasn't nice to have unreleased material. I would rather have less material that sounds better, but that's just me.)

I happen to agree with the Datameister. There is a thrilling rawness to Raiders, what I like to call 'dirty brass.' Although, Temple is by far my favorite of the three scores. Who knows, that may change one day. But since it is also my favorite of the three films, I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Slightly off-topic, but what do people think of Wallin's mixes for Robocop 2 and The Fugitive? Those scores sound great to me

Never heard Fugitive ost, but Robocop 2 is dope.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, ymenard said:

I always felt that the Last Crusade orchestration make it feel a little too artificial, mostly with all the doublings that feel electronic (eve if they are just dry and sharp higher notes from instruments).  The same type of recording appears on The Phantom Menace, but he had the large orchestra to not hide all of this.

Ok wait - you're on to something! I thought there was synth in it too!

The age of a recording has very little to do with how it sounds on CD.

RECORDING technology has not changed much, so a well recorded score from 1967 can sound as good as 1997 ( YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE for example).

The issue has always been transferring master tapes to another MEDIUM. This is why there was a short lived ' original master recordings' movement.

What has improved is the ability to faithfully reproduce master tapes. Digital, which doesn't degrade when mixed down, is primarily responsible for this development

To summarize: don't focus too much on the age of the original recording.

But, you all knew this.😁

On 7/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, crumbs said:

...I can't stand that tinny, small orchestra sound of Giacchino scores.

Have you heard DAWN OF PLANET OF APES?

1 minute ago, Spider-Fal said:

Ehh? How come pre-80's William's scores sound fatter than 80's-2008, and 2008-present scores sound more metallic then?

CAN you translate that into English?

😉