Ennio Morricone's TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA 50th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

I wanna give disc 1 a full listen but I'm pretty likely to order this. The main title's badass, the OST is a lovely guitar exploration kind of like The River's, the film score is more varied.

15 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Can anyone confirm for certain whether the UMG LP album was a re-recording?

I don't see any reason to think it was a re-recording.  The press release doesn't mention that, and some of the tracks on the first disc don't have a * next to them, meaning they have the same content as music heard on the LP.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

some of the tracks on the first disc don't have a * next to them, meaning they have the same content as music heard on the LP.

Most of them still have a (film version) tag.

Main Title (film version)* 4:17 - Main Title (Original Version) 4:17 - Main Title 4:15 - Main Title (Reprise) 3:31

1 and 2 must be different takes, 3 is probably 2 with a differently timed silence before and after, 4 is a third, faster take.

The rest are all the same length give or take some seconds but the disc 1 versions have (film version) and no star. Is it that they are from a different source/are a different mix but the same take? Though when I listened to the OST today they didn't seem the complex multilayered cues/recordings that could be mixed so differently. Maybe just the different film and OST elements (sometimes of the same takes) allowed for different degrees of clarity or stereo mixing abilities, so they just present them separately instead of picking one main program with all tracks from the possible source the producer deems best and adding the other's extra tracks as bonus on the end of the one disc they'd all fit on.

20 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, why does it say "(film version)" and there is still no * at the end? The running time of those tracks is the same as well.

This is most often because the edit points between takes are different between the film and the album.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have it in me to do a full spreadsheet so just the shared tracks (OST runs a bit faster on all of them):

Main Titles - film version is very much different from the OST version - the intro is an entirely different take, the first statement up until the end of the religioso Sara choir is similar, then they branch off again into a different structure (the OST has one more quick choir and braying before going off into the bird imitation interlude and a shorter loud return section after it with less statements of the Gaussian melody and one more choir before going off into the more stripped back orchestration at the end). Original version is an earlier take of the OST version. Reprise is an entirely different faster take that is in fact on Disc 1 under "Two Mules Theme" with a bit more dynamic range.

A Time for Miracles - seems to be the same take, strings are much more prominently on the OST but are still prominent in the fim version.

La Cueva - there are timing differences here that the speed difference doesn't account for, at least bits must be from a different take. Film version shortens the end transition to the main theme, probably a microedit.

La Cantina - seems to be the same, slightly louder in the film version.

The Swinging Rope - seems to be the same take, pretty different mix, OST version is a lot wider but the solos are very far-left, film version is more center+left

The Battle - seems to be the same take, film version has more dynamic range, the percussion hits peak above the orchestra.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...