What Is The Best Rendition Of The Raiders March?

What is the best rendition of The Raiders March?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Raiders March
    • "Flight From Peru" - When Indy Escapes The Temple
    • "The German Sub" - When Indy Is Spotted On The Sub
    • "Fast Streets Of Shanghai" - When Indy Escapes Lao Che
    • *"Over The Himilayas" - First Map Montage In TOD
    • *"Underground Heroics" - When Indy Is Pounding The Big Thuggee Guard
    • "Finale And End Credits" - TOD
    • *"Dunn And Duffy Circus Train" - End Of The Cue Where It Cuts To Indy As An Adult
    • *"Don't Call Me Junior!" - When Indy Takes Out The Nazis With A Machine Gun
    • "Scherzo For Motorcycle" - When Indy And His Dad Appear On The Mototrcycle
    • "End Credits" - Last Crusade

*Indicates an unreleased cue.

The Raiders March is one of the best themes John Williams has ever composed, but where do you think it was used the best? My vote goes to Underground Heroics. This rendition, with Indy pounding the Thuggee guard and Short Round pounding the Maharajah, just sends chills down my spine everytime I see it. A close second for me is The German Sub, the first full rendtion of the theme in the movies, and with a powerful scene.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Indicates an unreleased cue.

The German Sub, the first full rendtion of the theme in the movies, and with a powerful scene.

I voted for that one.It's sort of played over the top like Supeman's Theme when he lifts up the Helicopter.

I also like the "bridge "section of Indy's theme as heard in The Portugese Coast in Last Crusade.

K.M.

I voted for the end credits of Temple of Doom. I think it is quite remarkable how Williams weaved Short Round's Theme in.

Jeff -- whose favorite Williams theme is.......(see below)

Definitely the German Sub, however the fanfare at the end of Streets of Shanghai is very well done and my second favorite.

Good call about the mixing of Shorty's theme with Indy at the end of TOD, though.

I like at least one from each movie, so I'll categorize by movie:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

- Clarinet solo of fanfare that wasn't included on DCC expanded release during transition shot from school to Indy's house

- "Journey to Cairo"

- "Desert Chase"--when Indy's riding the horse through the camp and when he gets away in the truck

- "To the Nazi Hideout"--while Indy's sneaking around, trying to find a uniform

- "Ark Trek"--the bassoon solo

- "End Credits"--the French horn repetition at the end of the Marion's theme segment

Temple of Doom

- "Fast Streets"--Repeated fanfare during the escape on the airplane

- "Map Sequence"

- "Let's Get Outta Here"--the tender/cheesy scene where Indy hugs Short Round that sounds a lot like the cue when the fedora guy puts his fedora on young Indy in Last Crusade

- "Underground Heroics"

- "End Credits"

Last Crusade

- "Dunn and Duffy"--Indy running from the train

- "Portuguese Coast"

I voted for the Raiders March.

Justin

The little flute like coda at the end is cool too. on the original End Credits of Raiders.I also like the part where the middle part of the indy march builds up just after Marion's theme in the end credits.

k.m.

Oh, no. This one is actually a recording, like those compilation CDs. It's on a CD called "By Request...". It contains music from Star Wars, Jaws, and the Olympic Fanfare with the original opening bars, and Liberty Fanfare for the 1986 rededication of the Statue of Liberty. :mrgreen:

No, there isn't such a thing, though some members here last year (and at MovieMusic) wrote a letter to Robert Townson (from Varese Sarabande) asking for a recording for the 20th anniversary of Indy, but they said that Williams was revising his score (much like he doeas for concert performence, I would think)... but seems that there might be a rerecording of the Indy scores, or at least the one from Raiders

I went for German Sub.

"I cannot find Mr Jones, sir. I've looked everywhere."

"Well keep looking, he's got to be around here somewhere."

*beat*

"I've found him."

"Where?"

"There!"

Neej- who hopes the very best rendition will come in Indy IV

IMO,I like Mc Neely's Jaws re-recording over Williams original.

K.M.

I haven't heard either of them, so I can't chime in. Even so, I don't think I would like them better.

~Harry

I do welcome new recordings of these wonderful works... much like Beethoven's and Mozart's music has been recorded, it's always interesting to have more recordings of true masterpieces

It may just be me, but I think of a rerecording of something by Williams as fake Williams music. I don't think of it as the real thing because I know that he isn't there conducting and making sure it sounds the way he wants it to.

~Harry

Well, I don't mind it.. I might like Williams' recording better, but something fresh is always interesting... including if done by Williams himself... that's even better

It may just be me, but I think of a rerecording of something by Williams as fake Williams music.  I don't think of it as the real thing because I know that he isn't there conducting and making sure it sounds the way he wants it to.

~Harry

That's a very bizarre way of looking at things. "Fake Williams"? It's the same music, just a different interpretation. And believe me, I've heard recordings that are superior to Williams' originals. Gerhardts Empire Strikes Back is a perfect example. McNeely's Jaws is also a wonderful album.

I agree with Hector's view on this. Music is designed to not only be listened to but also to be performed.

Harry, you should seek out some of these albums and make an informed decision. It certainly is not "fake Williams". I think you'll find them to be wonderful and far superior to that Star Wars Trilogy album on Sony, that was conducted by the real Williams.

Neil

I don't know about the Gerhardt version of ESB. I listened to some of it once, and it really didn't do much for me. I much rather would listed to the Williams version, but perhaps I'll listen to Gerhardt again and give him another chance.

Yes, Fake Williams, is a good way to say what I think about that. :mrgreen:

~Harry

Fake Williams??? :roll: ;) Silly Harry... :mrgreen:

But... I really can't stand the trumpets and trombones on the Gerhardt. They are mixed too loud and over power everything else plus they simply suck at playing TESB. Also, I don't like some of the ways that Gerhardt conducts it.

You're silly too, wrinkly big head alien guy! :mrgreen::(

Anyway, I think the trumpets and trombones are too quiet in some places. I was listening to it today, and I really like the Williams version better, not the "fake" Williams. ;)

~Harry

From each film:

In Raiders, The German Sub is close, but I'm impartial to the OST album so I must vote for both the Flight From Peru and the Desert Chase. Can't decide between those two. Both are sweet!

In TOD, the ingenious weaving of Short Round's theme in the "Finale And End Credits"

And, in TLC, the unreleased "Dunn And Duffy Circus Train"... the end of the cue where it cuts to Indy as an adult getting punched in the face as the music segues into Cross Of Coronado. Damn, I love that! And that is what I voted for!