When composing music, which medium do you usually use for sketching?

When composing music, which medium do you use for sketching?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. When composing music, which medium do you use for sketching?

• Pen and paper
    • Notation software (such as Sibelius)
    • A simple recorder
    • A sequencer
    • Other (please comment)

I primarily use notation software to sketch ideas. But if I'm not near a computer and I get an idea, I will resort to pen and paper. If I'm not near pen and paper...then I'm f***ed.

6 minutes ago, Loert said:

I primarily use notation software to sketch ideas. But if I'm not near a computer and I get an idea, I will resort to pen and paper. If I'm not near pen and paper...then I'm f***ed.

Can't you dictate melodies or chords into your smartphone? 

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hope this is a joke!

How do you notate music in Word?

A C A D A#

I pretty much do everything by ear, so I don't really "notate" as much as perform and tweak.

I usually use a mix of pen and paper and sequencing. The only time I use notation software is when I'm creating parts for other musicians.

Pen and paper forces me to think about things in a very deliberate sense, whereas on a sequencer I feel very free to experiment and a sense of linear progression since it's "tangible".

When I'm not around either, I've developed a shorthand notation that allows me to write on pretty much anything. This is a sketch of a cue I wrote for a score a few years ago while waiting in a pizzeria. (Ripped and crumpled because I didn't care about it after I properly got it down.)

I basically treat it like a percussion staff, and write pitches above the noteheads, with arrows reminiscent of arrow shortcuts you use in a notation program to indicate a farther away interval, such as going down a 6th instead of up a 3rd. There's also miscellaneous orchestration information on there as well as a  bar of drum groove.

7066.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You could always learn MML. ; )

I was just pulling something out of my butt as an example of how it could be done, I don't ever do this myself lol

6 minutes ago, The River (Fal) said:

I was just pulling something out of my butt as an example of how it could be done, I don't ever do this myself lol

How do you do it then, and how does it involve your butt? :D

1 hour ago, The River (Fal) said:

I pretty much do everything by ear, so I don't really "notate" as much as perform and tweak.

So basically I just improvise playing everything on my keyboard, and then fixing errors by hand later.

For me, sketching is kind of similar to what Nick describes above. When I'm usually working by the piano, I just sketch anything interesting on paper, or do brainstorming over a sequencer. Ultimately I go back to paper to work out larger structure and development. Then I mock it up. Sometimes, if that's not necessary, then I go straight to notation software.

Do you ever have an idea, and write it down how you think is right, but since you don't have a perfect ear, of course it's not right, but it will always lead you back to the idea you had in your head anyway? 

39 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Do you ever have an idea, and write it down how you think is right, but since you don't have a perfect ear, of course it's not right, but it will always lead you back to the idea you had in your head anyway? 

I see that as one of the key purposes of sketching, honestly. It was really inspiring to me as a teen to see sketches from someone like Stravinsky, because so often you could be hard pressed to link up the sketches with what you know of the piece itself (ie Rite of Spring), but obviously it was enough to put him on the track he needed to go.

I use Musescore.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I can't really write, so I have to use a sequencer whether I want to or not. Although admittedly I do seem to get my best ideas when I'm in the shower, on the crapper, or on a long road trip (TMI). In those instances I have to rely on continuously humming the melody to myself over and over again for potentially over an hour, or if I have my phone with me I'll just record myself humming like a moron.

Yep, I quickly record my awful voice and then transcribe it and wonder why I ever thought it was good.

I get my best ideas on the toilet - forcing ideas and other matter out!

I like using voice memos on my phone as a filter. I'll go weeks just recording whatever little 15-30 second ideas I get in my head, then when they start taking up too much phone memory, I go through and copy them into a sketchbook. Usually just jot down melodies but sometimes will work out harmony etc if it's something that's been stuck in my head for awhile. Then whatever audio clips are leftover where I have no idea wtf I was thinking or I'm just too bored by them to transcribe, deleted forever.

Unfortunately I don't have the work ethic to have expanded many of these things over the years. Notation is tiresome, either by hand or plugging into Finale. I enjoy working stuff out on piano most so sequencing seems more fun, maybe, but intimidating to learn. I do always wish I could focus up and flesh these out the way I hear them, make them real. Drives me crazy but at least enriches my own little world <3 

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

sequencing seems more fun, maybe, but intimidating to learn. I do always wish I could focus up and flesh these out the way I hear them, make them real. Drives me crazy but at least enriches my own little world <3 

No time like the present! The tools out there have become so numerous, easily available, and after some initial breaking in, rather easy to use, too.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How do you do it then, and how does it involve your butt? :D

1586097216?v=1

For orchestral music: notation software Finale

For electronic music: sequencer software Cubase

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

In those instances I have to rely on continuously humming the melody to myself over and over again for potentially over an hour, or if I have my phone with me I'll just record myself humming like a moron.

Relatable.:lol:

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

continuously humming the melody to myself over and over again for potentially over an hour, or if I have my phone with me I'll just record myself humming like a moron.

If it’s good enough for John Tesh...