Witches of Eastwick Vienna Performance (updated with video)

Tom

This is the best it has ever sounded. If this had been on Across the Stars, it would have been my favorite arrangement and track.

Williams in Vienna and Across the Stars are now essential Williams purchases.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Did they use a thunder sheet in Vienna? I’m remember there was one used in this piece by the LSO.

Not that I recall. It's probably not part of the solo violin arrangement? (I haven't listened to the clip yet. Gotta save the remaining tracks for whenthe Blu-ray arrives ;) )

I remember at the Saturday performance that somebody on the righ balcony coughed really loud at the wrong moment during this performance - and remember hoping that they would choose the Sunday performance for the Blu-ray.

I think they would be able to wipe out that cough if it was needed, since they wiped out all the applause in the CD version of The Imperial March.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

I think they would be able to wipe out that cough if it was needed, since they wiped out all the applause in the CD version of The Imperial March.

That's a different take, presumably. I don't know if they recorded any inserts with ASM (or how difficult it is to splice a small edit into a solo performance).

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Does anybody else get a Danny Elfman vibe from " Witches Dance"?

I know what you mean here. The “mechanical” feeling and atmosphere in some sections. 

I think I remember reading there was at least some recording of the orchestra aside from the concerts? Anyway, I'm so glad there is no audience clapping at the end. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

I think I remember reading there was at least some recording of the orchestra aside from the concerts? Anyway, I'm so glad there is no audience clapping at the end. 

Yes, after the Sunday concert there were some patch up recordings that we could witness over a small monitor at the cloakroom. 

7 hours ago, tmarps said:

I know what you mean here. The “mechanical” feeling and atmosphere in some sections. 

It almost sounds like it could have been theme music for TALES FROM THE CRYPT!😊

5 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Yes, after the Sunday concert there were some patch up recordings that we could witness over a small monitor at the cloakroom. 

The question is, was ASM included or did they only have the orchestra for these?

Williams renamed it for the concert version first recorded on the Horay for Hollywood CD, but yeah, the original theme was for the witches not the devil. 

On 7/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, bruce marshall said:

Does anybody else get a Danny Elfman vibe from " Witches Dance"?

Funny you mention this.  WAY back in the late '80s, I saw BEETLEJUICE on video and remember thinking the opening title music was so original and fresh and (quietly) lamenting that JW didn't really write music like that.  Then I saw WITCHES OF EASTWICK and was blown away!  That it was written the year previous was just icing on the cake.  WITCHES was the first CD I ever bought and is still one of my favorite Williams scores.

It's reminiscent of Elfman insofar as Elfman's trademark style is plastering a film with wall to wall danse macabres. But Williams' piece is much too refined to actually confused it with Elfman.

36 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's reminiscent of Elfman insofar as Elfman's trademark style is plastering a film with wall to wall danse macabres. But Williams' piece is much too refined to actually confused it with Elfman.

Have you heard Elfman's violin concerto yet?

Karol

53 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

😉

Screenshot_2020-07-06-21-06-44~3.png

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Have you heard Elfman's violin concerto yet?

No!

I do have to mention that I was positively surprised by a low-key Elfman score recently, when I watched The Girl on the Train and wondered who wrote the not particularly musically interesting, but nicely low key semi-electronic score.

Also reminds me that I still have to pick up Black Beauty.