Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

Has Hans Zimmer aged well?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Mark Isham respects me.

That is good enough!

You picked that as most memorable of the decade? 

BloodBoal would be ashamed of you. 

20 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I wonder who JWFan’s most ignored user is? *cough*

Great question.  I just tried poking through that Admin Control Panel and that doesn't seemed to be anything that is tracked, or at least not displayed anywhere...

Treating the question seriously for a moment, even if that may not have been its intention:

Zimmer has aged well, physically. He looks pretty good for someone in their 60s. 

Musically, he has evolved considerably. I will always prefer his 'golden period' between the late 80s and late 90s, but I don't expect him to stay there forever. I've continually been impressed by his decision to explore new territory, even if I don't connect as strongly to it on a personal level. But post-2000 stuff like SPIRIT, THE LAST SAMURAI, THE DA VINCI CODE, INCEPTION, MAN OF STEEL, THE LONE RANGER, INTERSTELLAR and CHAPPIE have been great both in context and on album. More ostinato-driven, perhaps, with big chords rather than fully formed power anthem melodies and such, but still great. I marvel at the visionary quality of something like DUNKIRK, even if it's closer to sound design than music score, and my appreciation is more how it works in context than on album. 

Finally, I think a lot of the stuff he did in his early days has 'aged' better than some of the "purer" synth composers of the era, like Faltermeyer, Hammer or Moroder. I love those guys to death too, but they bear their time more clearly on their sleeves (even if synthwave is now in fashion again). Zimmer's broader landscapes have a more timeless quality to them.

I agree with the first paragraph.

Much of his synth stuff sounds too much like Vangelis to me.

I like RAIN MAN. Not much else in that vein.

He is really the only major composer who can still surprise, good and bad

• 7 months later...

What happened with Zimmer and a popular reviewer on Facebook?

People are saying Zimmer was drunk and made a personal attack against him?

First of all, I have to say that I don’t like Zimmer’s approach to music, as if it were a mass-produced product straight out of a factory...

But now that I know he's a drunkard and a dick on the social medias... hmmm... :huh:

Sometimes, I dig Zimmer's unfiltered honesty in some of these interactions. Fanboy entitlement could always use a healthy shakeup.

In this case however, he was just being a dick.

I've only seen Erik's summation of the events. Apparently it was in response to the 4 hour length of JXL's upcoming Justice League score. Someone said something like: "it would have to be the best score in the world to warrant that length". And Southall wrote "Exactly.", to which Zimmer responded:

156448721_10158777047055935_649098216112

I remember saying years ago in one or two threads that Zimmer's music will age horribly. Like Jean-Michel Jarre. 

In some ways, even Vangelis will prove to be more "timeless" than Zimmer's state of the art sound - meaning at the time it was written. 

Zimmer was a part of the Nolan Batman Borefest Trilogy, which people were declaring the greatest comic films ever made upon release while absolutely trashing the original films and Danny Elfman scores. A few of us were unphased by the pop cultural shifts, still loved the originals and criticized Nolan and of course Zimmer. But after the one with Bane came out, everyone suddenly warmed up to the original films as though the Nolan Borefests never occurred and were retroactively declaring Batman Returns the greatest Batman film despite the intense criticism it endured for many years. "You actually like this one? The Penguin rides around in a rubber duck car."

I'm wondering, how are the Zimmer scores now regarded since the dust has settled and everyone just went back to respecting the 1989 Saga and recognizing the Elfman theme as the definitive Batman theme.

He's always been an arsehole to those beneath him.

He used to be quite active on the VI Control forum. I once started a thread asking advice on how to replicate a specific Thomas Newman sound. He basically replied:

"Hire George Doering in for a session."

Cheers. :wave: 

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm wondering, how are the Zimmer scores now regarded since the dust has settled and everyone just went back to respecting the 1989 Saga and recognizing the Elfman theme as the definitive Batman theme.

I do think there's an entire generation that identify the Batman logo with Zimmer's brass bwaaaahms. People would go mental if they did another one and that was at the end of the trailer. 

Nolan/Zimmer are basically considered an iconic collab at this point and The Dark Knight is going down as a classic movie, like it or not. The score too, I guess, although I feel like Inception and Interstellar get the most mentions for Zimmer.

I may be out of the loop, though, but in general I think their Batmans are considered more definitive as Nolan/Zimmer scores than as Batman scores? Like I don't think anybody's really comparing it to Elfman.

Yeah but just as objectively as possible, JNH is totally forgotten in those movies, like he doesn't factor in when people talk about them and they don't seem to factor when people talk about his career.

Personally I don't really care, I don't think about them, I don't listen to the scores or watch the movies. I watch the Joker scenes on YouTube sometimes because Ledger is brilliant. But those movies and scores are definitely touchstones for tons of people, no question. 

36 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Zimmer can say whatever tf he wants but he's obviously punching wayyyyyyy down here.

He comes across as unfriendly and antagonistic online towards anyone politely asking for help. Reminds me a bit of Ford Thaxton. I'll never forget when he wished death on someone he disapproved of on Facebook through some platitude meme graphic, maniac.