Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

Has Hans Zimmer aged well?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

A producer apparently found Zimmer's attack on Southall very funny.

Yes, I noticed earlier. A silly sycophant response. Let's hope the whole thing's blown over now.

38 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A producer apparently found Zimmer's attack on Southall very funny.

BTW, that dude ain’t a producer. I got duped. Very embarrass but he’s still an ass!

1 minute ago, Erik Woods said:

It’s a general comment meaning that no score other than the greatest in the world deserves a four hour release. Gary and James did not judge Justice League at all.

I'm honestly not trolling at all with this question, I'm serious:

This statement: "I doubt this is the best film score ever"  is a judgement.  How can you say "Gary and James did not judge Justice League at all."

I feel like I am missing something here.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

It's just one of Koray's old pet peeves. Which is now repurposed for this ill-fitting purpose.

Guys up in arms about Zimmer's lame Junkie defense, which isn't even overly aggressive or something, makes me think filmscoredom is a bunch of pathetic losers. Which of course would include me, which i absolutely deny. See, now i created my own little prelude to a shitstorm.

Man! You are one pathetic loser! No offense.

3 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

BTW, that dude ain’t a producer. I got duped. Very embarrass but he’s still an ass!

He does great advertising for HBOMax!

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

LIke me.

Ok, I'll give you a like. But only one.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

it even specifically banned talk about JW and I doubt the members could actually find the joy in his music and would likely be just sitting there to spot every 3 notes by Prokofiev or Walton etc. but I don't see JW bitching about it. Or even worrying about it.

That's the power of not having a Facebook account.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think your initial post was more rude than mine

I asked you why you got angry that different people hold different opinions than you.  You responded by calling me a robot, and asking me "What the fuck are you talking about?".  I do not think anybody reading this conversation would think that I was more rude than you were.

10 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

It’s a general comment meaning that no score other than the greatest in the world deserves a four hour release. Gary and James did not judge Justice League at all.

Why not? It's his music. Who are we to say what kind of release his music "deserves" (especially for music we haven't heard). Sounds pretty entitled to be honest, and there's definitely judgement underneath a statement like that.

It's perfectly fine to make critique about the quality of one's music and their presentation (Lord knows most modern film music albums are just way too long across the board), but these blanket statements around what film music should and shouldn't be are the kind of thing that gives our crowd a bad rep.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I asked you why you got angry that different people hold different opinions than you.  You responded by calling me a robot, and asking me "What the fuck are you talking about?".  I do not think anybody reading this conversation would think that I was more rude than you were.

I found your presupposition (i.e. the strawman argument) that I get angry that other people hold different opinions than I rude, because it's simply not true.

But again - if none of us intended rudeness, there is no issue here. Move along.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I found your presupposition (i.e. the strawman argument) that I get angry that other people hold different opinions than I rude, because it's simply not true.

Hmm, I think we have different definitions of what "rude" means, then.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

But again - if none of us intended rudeness, there is no issue here. Move along.

How does you calling me a robot not intend rudeness?

Hmm, I think we have different definitions of what "rude" means, then.

Seems so.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

How does you calling me a robot not intend rudeness?

That was a joke.

So finally the score of the new cut of Justice League consists of a 20-minute suite wrote by Zimmer, then remixed by Junkie XL to make a 4 hours and a half program? Am I right? So it's like a live gig, like the music in a rave? :lick:

Is that what it is? ;)

I'd still like to know what else Hans and James said in between those initial two statements and the final apology, but I guess no one who has access to whats his name's page is willing to help out those of us who don't have access to it.

All of this is just reminding me of the time that Roger Ebert shit on Rob Schneider in a famous Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo review and then a year or two later Schneider sent flowers to Ebert who was recovering from cancer-related surgery, with sincere well-wishes in a card signed "Your least favorite movie star." That was nice. Guess Zen Buddhism's working for Schneider.

Maybe Southall and Zimmer could read that blog post together someday. Kum ba yah.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Maybe Southall and Zimmer could read that blog post together someday. Kum ba yah.

23 minutes ago, Bespin said:

then remixed by Junkie XL to make a 4 hours and a half program

2 hours ago, KK said:

Why not? It's his music. Who are we to say what kind of release his music "deserves" (especially for music we haven't heard). Sounds pretty entitled to be honest, and there's definitely judgement underneath a statement like that.

It's perfectly fine to make critique about the quality of one's music and their presentation (Lord knows most modern film music albums are just way too long across the board), but these blanket statements around what film music should and shouldn't be are the kind of thing that gives our crowd a bad rep.

It's just an opinion. It's not law. James has been a defender of the "properly curated/produced soundtrack album" for years so it comes to no ones surprise that he would agree with someone else opinion who supports his own.  And it certainly doesn't justify one of the most popular current film composers to go off on him.

In this case, he was not defending his own music, he was defending Junkie XL's music

Unless he also defended his own music in comments that haven't been posted here yet, of course.

I really don't know why Zimmer got so defensive about the music his padawans write. They're getting almost all the major movies and TV shows to score, they have a lot of fans (just check the YouTube comments of Junkie's tracks for JL), a lot of money... So what if a segment of film score fans don't care about their music?

I just think it's weird that Zimmer made it personal.

But I mean, look, I will say there's some parallel here between how upset Zimmer apparently got feeling like his hard working friend was being unfairly mocked and Southall's friends and colleagues jumping to his defense with their own hyperbole because they feel he's been unjustly bullied in return. Just a thought.

Anyway they've kissed and made up and here we are still delivering commentary.

Make Up Love GIF by Bounce

10 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

The Big Man is the reason why Zimmer reacted the way he did. I am glad he did.

Another fake Zimmer account?

58 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Are you really an asshole for expressing that you’re not interested in such a lengthy score with the rather reasonable assumption that it would only be warranted if it was the best ever - but it is highly unlikely for that to be the case? Especially since now we know that this wasn’t Zimmer’s real target, it’s like he was just looking for an excuse rather than feeling justified in being an asshole. Which, to be quite honest, the defence of ‘he started it!’ is an incredibly childish excuse for bad behaviour.

Also, at least in my eyes, it’s not the punching down that was the problem, it’s the absolutely incomprehensible bevy of ‘criticism’ Zimmer put together. Everything said is now apparently invalid because JunkieXL had a big audience once, time moves...faster during COVID (literally what?), and your articles are boring because I said so. Complete non-sequitirs that address nothing and are based off pompous claims that my friends and I are famous and successful therefore you are wrong.

Followed up by an apology that has the tone of ‘I’m sorry you and so many others are bad at your job so its inevitable I was going to rage at you’...what an ego this lad has. I understand that human beings are not built to withstand massive waves of negativity but we at least have to power to try to avoid them. If Zimmer is so annoyed by the criticism of himself and his friends he is more than welcome to stay off the Internet.

I am not sure if that makes you an asshole, but hypothetically if there is a four hours long Star Wars film and Williams is a about to release a 4 hours long score, do you see people saying "This isn't justified" or "This better be the greatest score of all time to justify it" or "This is vanity." I seen all those replies on various sites. I bet Williams will never get treated like this. The only reason people are saying what they are saying is to be mean spirited towards Junkie. Honestly, judge the score after you listen to it. If it sucks (which there is a high chance), then it sucks. Then you can criticize it. But don't criticize and make projections about someone's intent before the score is released.

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I just think it's weird that Zimmer made it personal.

But I mean, look, I will say there's some parallel here between how upset Zimmer apparently got feeling like his hard working friend was being unfairly mocked and Southall's friends and colleagues jumping to his defense with their own hyperbole because they feel he's been unjustly bullied in return. Just a thought.

Make Up Love GIF by Bounce

The amount of shit that the film music community put on Junkie over the years is far more than the other way around. When the heck have Junkie say anything bad about anyone on this site or any site? Yet I seen people calling his music "noise" and that he is "going to destroy film music" and that he is a "goon." Now, as public figures, people like Zimmer and Junkie need to develop thicker skin. That is true. But when you poke at the bear, eventually they bite. Again, as a NBA fan, I seen fans yell some of the most disrespectful shit at players. When players yell back, they cried like they were victims. Yes, players need to have thicker skins, but I don't feel sorry for the other side.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Another fake Zimmer account?

Nope. Just someone telling it like it is.

@MepharielI take it you haven’t seen how The Ultimate Edition of the Phantom Menace was regarded...

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bias against composers so much as people preferring curated releases as opposed to every single minute of music ever composed. I think like people who go to fancy restaurants, they want to go on a journey that has been meticulously put together by the chef who is a master of their craft. When the score release is around the length of the movie then it’s a pretty good indication it’s going to be everything as opposed to a curated experience.

And to be perfectly clear, I’m talking in the context of the exchange between Zimmer and Southall. I’m not really interested in what other people on other forums have allegedly said.

11 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

@MepharielI take it you haven’t seen how The Ultimate Edition of the Phantom Menace was regarded...

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bias against composers so much as people preferring curated releases as opposed to every single minute of music ever composed. I think like people who go to fancy restaurants, they want to go on a journey that has been meticulously put together by the chef who is a master of their craft. When the score release is around the length of the movie then it’s a pretty good indication it’s going to be everything as opposed to a curated experience.

And to be perfectly clear, I’m talking in the context of the exchange between Zimmer and Southall. I’m not really interested in what other people on other forums have allegedly said.

Did people say that The Phantom Menace needs to be the greatest score ever to justify its length BEFORE if was released? What kind of standard is that? 

What you said have nothing to do with 4 hours of music. I listened to albums that are 1 hour long and I felt like it could be condensed to 30 minutes. I would argued regardless of the length, there are more albums that can use a reduction than addition. That is why people have playlists with only certain cues. That is your preference. Fine. Not everyone has to share your preference. But it is the ridiculous standard that people placed on Junkie that I have an issue with.

TPM UE was criticized for not including every note written for the film, as advertised. So the desired release would have been much longer than the movie.

So much going on in this thread... too hard to quote everyone separately, so I’ll just brain-dump a few thoughts:

@Erik Woods, you’re wrong and @Jay is correct; Southall and that first poster were judging an unreleased score. The words “I doubt...” are words of opinion and opinion is judgment. 

Zimmer’s long winded semi-apology does not excuse his lashing out at a score reviewer, which upon re-reading comes across as a lot of empty bragging. (Whoever earlier used the term “non-sequitur” in this context was absolutely right.). We can be glad for them if Southall and Zimmer buried the hatchet, but it doesn’t mean we need to move on. There’s a troubling trend of true insecurity on Zimmer’s part that’s worth exploring. 

(As an aside, JXL’s original announcement of his 4-hr score on Twitter reads like another gimmick to either boost interest in the snydercut or to make the movie seem like the Biggest Epic of All Time. To be fair, if I were marketing this movie, it’d be my job to do exactly those kinds of things.)

Somebody, maybe @Mephariel, mentioned something along the lines of us not pre-judging JXL’s 4 hr score until it releases and noted the potential hypocrisy in the hypothetical event of a JW curated 4 hr SW score being announced. Unfortunately, the comparison isn’t truly apt because both composers are known quantities to us and thus we go into any new release with an a priori (or Bayesian, forgive the joke) expectation—namely, that four hours of JXL score for this bloated movie is probably going to be three too many, while four hours of JW’s SW would be assuredly far more engaging and enjoyable.

Bottom line, this score is almost guaranteed NOT to merit its 4-hr length, nearly everyone knows it (even if they won’t admit it publicly), and Zimmer was butt-hurt enough by a very reasonable a priori opinion to make a classless rant for all the world to read. At least that’s my take.