Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

Has Hans Zimmer aged well?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why does he even join this social media sandbox?

covid boredom?

I think it's a little pathetic when a public figure is checking what people are saying about him/her on social media, and decides to "answer" the haters.

We have a saying here that basically states: Not even Jesus Christ managed to please everybody. I mean, He is the Son of God and still people crucified Him. So, if even Jesus had His haters, why don't Zimmer can't accept that there is people that don't like his music?

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

why don't Zimmer can't accept that there is people that don't like his music?

He wasn't defending his music.  He was defending Junkie XL's

Up above, when Zimmer said this: "And who criticizes the critic? Does any composer ever speak out? Where is accusing JXL of sounding amateurish (and admitting to how insulting that sounds) be seen as not deeply hurtful to my friend Tom Holkenborg?"

He was harkening back to this Southall review from 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20201124070112/http://www.movie-wave.net/deadpool/

The score is soulless and colourless,: the incessant obnoxious noise-filled action cues are entirely generic and the occasional attempts to do something different or emotional sound like they could be from a low-budget daytime tv show.  I don’t get it, I really don’t: it goes all over the place, lacks any cohesion, the only real “concept” behind it seems to have been “wouldn’t it be cool if we recreated the synth sound from Michael Jackson’s Beat It?” (answer: not if you do it like this) – how could something which sounds frankly as amateurish (and I know how insulting that word is and how unqualified I am to use it) as this end up in a major 2016 film?  That’s no personal slight against the composer, who I’m sure did his best, but it’s depressing really; still, focus on the positives: after the last track of score, on comes George Michael’s “Careless Whisper” and I can honestly say there is nobody in history who will ever have been more relieved to hear that song.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well Mikael Carlsson accepted my friend request, so I can now bring you the entire text of the entire conversation - or rather, any parts Zimmer and/or Southall participated in (and a David Arnold bit for good fun).

No idea why none of you with access were willing to do this for us after repeated requests, but at least I can get the job done now

The first rule of Mikael Carlsson's Facebook wall is that you don't speak about Mikael Carlsson's Facebook wall.

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think it's a little pathetic when a public figure is checking what are people saying about him/her on social media, and decides to "answer" the haters.

We have a saying here that basically states: Not even Jesus Christ managed to please everybody. I mean, He is the Son of God and still people crucified Him. So, if even Jesus had His haters, why don't Zimmer can't accept that there is people that don't like his music?

Lorne Balfe searches his own name on twitter for sure. It’s sad. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The human brain is not evolving as fast as leaps in technology are giving us platforms where once internal thoughts can be made instantly available to many others

One's. Sorry, couldn't resist.

All music is created by musical instruments reflecting the technology of their time and a composer must master their language. I’d call those that are ignorant of the tools available to them in a modern film-score hacks and the luddites that opine an old narrow view of what ‘proper’ film music is just narrow minded fools that need to widen their gaze or they will never have the pleasure of experiencing the new...

John Williams a hack. 

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion or expectations on creative works, even if those thoughts are negative. You will never please everyone and the second you start striving for that, your art will diminish in quality. It's just something you have to except as a creative person. Some people will love it and some will absolutely hate it, especially in this day and age of such extreme divisiveness. 

You can't help but have these feelings of expectation as a human being. I do think we need to keep an open mind about Junkie's score and only judge based on what we actually hear, but as with the film, I do find that have certain expectations or a lack thereof. I can't help it, but I try my best to remind myself that I haven't properly seen or heard the final product. I will reserve final judgement until I actually see and hear the damn thing, but after that I think it free reign to an extent. If things don't sit well then they just don't. I can't force myself to like something.

However, I don't think saying "I doubt this is the best film score ever." warranted such a response from Zimmer, whether defending Junkie or himself, but that's just me. He could've simply left it at "How about you wait until you've heard it?" sort of comment or something, but perhaps the divisive nature of the scores from him and his colleges are getting to him. I don't know, but I totally understand that. I mean some people call him the "god" of film music (an actual thing I've heard) while others revile everything he works on. I can imagine that that could get frustrating, especially if you're so emotionally attached to the work you create like he says. 

In the end, it's all subjective. I have a lot of trouble personally trying to keep myself in check when it comes to expectations and what not, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with having those expectations.

It just seems like everyone got a little too charged and began insulting each other's work and that's not a productive time. I don't really know what else to say about this. That's my rambling response.

9 minutes ago, publicist said:

To put things in perspective: the mountain laboured and brought forth a mouse. 

I certainly don't hate that track. My main complaint is, and this is an issue I have with a lot of modern scores and not exclusive to Junkie or Zimmer, the compression just diminishes a lot of power once those big drums come in and pushes everything so much closer together. It doesn't feel as big as I know it could. My other issue is that I can tell there is a theme happening here, but I can't quite fully pick up on it or recall it.

On the plus side, It does seem more heroic than I was expecting and it has a cool vibe to it. It reminds me a bit of some of the epic trailer music from the late 2000s that I listened to.

19 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

It reminds me a bit of some of the epic trailer music from the late 2000s that I listened to.

More doesn't need to be said.

Just now, publicist said:

More doesn't need to be said.

I mean. Many look down on that kind of music, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it. It may not be the most prestigious music, but it gets a blood flowing and is fun to listen to. My reason for the comparison is that I find things just absolutely brash in something like Man of Steel when it gets big. This still has something more heroic and enjoyable, like that trailer music did. I meant it in a more positive way, but I can see the other point you're making.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

To put things in perspective: the mountain laboured and brought forth a mouse. 

Yea...I'll pass.

51 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I mean. Many look down on that kind of music, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it. It may not be the most prestigious music, but it gets a blood flowing and is fun to listen to. My reason for the comparison is that I find things just absolutely brash in something like Man of Steel when it gets big. This still has something more heroic and enjoyable, like that trailer music did. I meant it in a more positive way, but I can see the other point you're making.

4 hours of it!

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

4 hours of it!

Lol. I mean fair enough. Judging by the other track released, in seems there will be breaks in the pounding epicness.

I also fear listening to those Fury Road-style violent drums for 4 hours, but apparently Junkie managed to learn something about film music with Conrad Pope on the last few years, so I'll give the album a try when it comes out. Probably I'll edit it to a nice 60-80 minute presentation.

I certainly am not going to complain one way or the other about it getting a four hour presentation. Whether I like it or not.

This is what we ask for time and time again with these Expanded or Complete releases. So, I absolutely support this getting a four hour release. My only thing is: I'd like other scores to get this treatment upon release as well or at least in addition to an additional Album. I suppose I can't help but think: Why this score or not others? Oh well.

Again. I'm happy to see a complete (I assume) release right off the bat. I'll be curious to see what people come up with for cutdown Album presentations too

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...Apparently Junkie managed to learn something about film music with Conrad Pope on the last few years, so I'll give the album a try

Pope is a great orchestrator.

Check.out his work for Desplat on RISE OF THE GUARDIANS.

13 hours ago, KK said:

Seems like the two came to an understanding, and Zimmer carried his ground pretty well.

What Zimmer did what was to moan Southall into censoring a few harmless reviews, that probably criticized said musical creations all too well. In retrospect, a perfect fit for the age of woke and Twitter outrages.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

What Zimmer did what was to moan Southall into censoring a few harmless reviews, that probably criticized said musical creations all too well. In retrospect, a perfect fit for the age of woke and Twitter outrages.

So besides being an hysterical bitch in social media websites, what's the worst Zimmer could have done to Southall? Could he have potentially escalated this to a defamation case in a judicial setting against Southall's critical reviews?

Zimmer seems to be a shamer, look at my creative pals that were done wrong! His old german arch enemy Muething (from our own german FB group) engaged Zimmer in a real ugly catfight in this thread over his 'hack empire', and as unwelcome such display of open hatred may appear, he got much closer to the heart of the matter, namely that Zimmer is a good salesman and his commercial appeal all too easy mistaken for boundless creativity.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

Zimmer seems to be a shamer, look at my creative pals that were done wrong! His old german arch enemy Muething (from our own german FB group) engaged Zimmer in a real ugly catfight in this thread over his 'hack empire', and as unwelcome such display of open hatred may appear, he got much closer to the heart of the matter, namely that Zimmer is a good salesman and his commercial appeal all too easy mistaken for boundless creativity.

Muething's mad ramblings in that Facebook thread were more disgusting than anything Zimmer wrote in relation to James.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Muething's mad ramblings in that Facebook thread were more disgusting than anything Zimmer wrote in relation to James.

Thor, let it go.

Let the haters rant.

You're Better than them😊

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Can yo uelaborate? What did James take down? That's still a disgusting outcome. I'll be more critical of HZ from now on.