Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

Has Hans Zimmer aged well?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, JWFan Moderators said:

A politically- and religiously- charged post and its follow-up replies have been removed from this thread.

Please use the Report feature on these type of posts in the future, instead of engaging.

Thank you.

Good! I felt the ludicrous post couldn't stand un-responded. But much smarter move to remove the post and the following replies (including mine).

All people have to do is click "Report" on posts that break the rules.  If enough people click Report, it gets automatically hidden without the mods having to manually take care of it.  You don't have to reply to off-topic posts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2021 at 5:02 PM, Edmilson said:

Is Zimmer a billionaire? I mean, I know he is quite rich, but I never thought film score composers can earn money like this, even if you're a famous composer like him. 

He takes from the poor (his minions) and gives to the rich (himself).

On 03/12/2021 at 10:34 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

He takes from the poor (his minions) and gives to the rich (himself).

If only. I don't think Wallfisch, Powell, Jackson, Djawadi, Holkenborg are complaining. Zimmer did more for his composers than anyone did for other composers. If you want to make money, the House of Zimmer is where it is at.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

If only. I don't think Wallfisch, Powell, Jackson, Djawadi, Holkenborg are complaining. Zimmer did more for his composers than anyone did for other composers. If you want to make money, the House of Zimmer is where it is at.

I'm sure it's the place to be if you're desperate for a steady income.

On 05/12/2021 at 9:45 PM, Mephariel said:

Except fairly recently, Holkenborg had to sell off a lot of gear, suggesting he was going through financial woes (though it's also possible it might've all become obsolete). Not to mention that part of the whole Facebook debacle involved mentions from a person in the know stating how a lot of the assistants have to rely on pirated software, as they can't afford it properly. Plus, there has been stories where key team members had to show up to work while sick, just so Zimmer can consider them worthy enough to continue working with at 'additional composer' level.

So while they might not be complaining now, that presumably involved a whole lot of suffering just to merely be considered for the big leagues. The whole business isn't friendly to most of the people that try to get in, and many RCP employees are no exception.

On 06/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, HunterTech said:

Except fairly recently, Holkenborg had to sell off a lot of gear, suggesting he was going through financial woes (though it's also possible it might've all become obsolete). Not to mention that part of the whole Facebook debacle involved mentions from a person in the know stating how a lot of the assistants have to rely on pirated software, as they can't afford it properly. Plus, there has been stories where key team members had to show up to work while sick, just so Zimmer can consider them worthy enough to continue working with.

So while they might not be complaining now, that presumably involved a whole lot of suffering just to merely be considered for the big leagues. The whole business isn't friendly to most of the people that try to get in, and many RCP employees are no exception.

The case of the transphobia towards some woman whose name I don't remember fits nicely in this list.

It seems to me that being in film music often isn't great.

I was considering mentioning that accusation, if not for the new rules likely prohibiting it from being discussed too much. I'll just say that given the context in which the person posted the information (who likely has no interest in pursuing any action over it), I find it fairly believable that he would stoop that low.

And no it's not Wendy, since I imagine Zimmer either has to begrudgingly respect her for essentially giving him the platform he currently has, or doesn't even remember that she's trans (unlikely, but I feel it would be in his character).

On 10/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, Brónach said:

I like your avatar

thx! I actually commissioned someone I know recently for a new YDP drawing, since I kind of wanted one for avatar purposes, as there's only so many ones I could find that fit the moods I want at any given moment.

On 06/12/2021 at 12:28 AM, HunterTech said:

Except fairly recently, Holkenborg had to sell off a lot of gear, suggesting he was going through financial woes (though it's also possible it might've all become obsolete). Not to mention that part of the whole Facebook debacle involved mentions from a person in the know stating how a lot of the assistants have to rely on pirated software, as they can't afford it properly. Plus, there has been stories where key team members had to show up to work while sick, just so Zimmer can consider them worthy enough to continue working with at 'additional composer' level.

Because stories and speculations are what I should go with. Yeah right lol. I go with hardcore facts. RCP composers have gotten blockbuster jobs because of Zimmer. Balfe, Gregson-Williams, Holkenborg, etc. Not to mention a host of newly graduates in Bloody Fingers Music. Bottom line is, Benjamin Wallfisch never had the projects that he had without Zimmer. He spoke about how much Zimmer meant for his career in multiple interviews. What was he doing with Dario Marianelli? Not Blade Runner. Not It. Not Shazam!. You think Balfe would be where he is now without Zimmer's guidance? Would Holkenborg have even gotten into the industry without Zimmer? Or scored a Batman/Superman film? 

John Powell on Zimmer: 

So the first time I met him was at Air Edel. He liked me and he gave me more sounds and samplers to help him try and do it. I ended up helping this other composer who was ghost writing for him. We presented a demo, which nowadays is completely normal but back then no-one was doing it besides Hans. So once I took away information from that experience, I flourished.

So I am very much a child of that technique, of demoing everything to the nth degree. It gives me control over the way I like to construct things. There are huge limitations and you have to fight against falling into lots of traps but I don’t think I’d have a career if I hadn’t been able to adapt those techniques that Hans pioneered.

I love how there is so much hate with Zimmer that Facebook stories trumps actual records. Some of the most successful composers today, including Powell, Toprak, Djawadi, Wallfisch, etc. all came from RCP. Yeah, some RCP composers probably struggled financially, but they probably would struggled 10 times more without Zimmer.

BTW: Holkenborg's net worth is estimated to be around $7-10 million. Yeah he is really struggling. 

On 05/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure it's the place to be if you're desperate for a steady income.

I mean, some people are allergic to success. The ones that are not...joining RCP is a consideration.

7 hours ago, Mephariel said:

mean, some people are allergic to success. The ones that are not...joining RCP is a consideration

Sure, but looking back at your career after 10+ years at RCP, and all you hear is generic RCP stuff... that's gotta be depressing.