Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

Has Hans Zimmer aged well?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Has Hans Zimmer aged well?

59 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

.who the heck is this bruce mashall fellow, with 400 something posts in the last month and all of them read something like this:

" Hey man! I've been PUBLISHED!😠Screenshot_2020-07-26-12-18-13~2.png

At least I use my real name instead of stealing the mantle of my idol.😉

Screenshot_2020-06-19-21-17-26~3.png

I wonder if anyone here will get the Andy Kaufman reference.

The humor- impaired FSMers were clueless.

Btw

I don't mean to post oversized pix...on my phone I can't tell.

Im happy to fix the problem if given the know how

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I don't mean to post oversized pix...on my phone I can't tell.

Actually I like the size of these pictures just fine. I print these threads out on my printer, hanging them around my house as an artistic statement. The threads have versus battles, until one gets replaced and I make a cootie catcher out of them, of which I entertain the neighborhood kids with, a member's post in each slit. The big pictures or gif/memes usually print out as a whole page so I use them as the top of the cootie catcher for decoration. I would appreciate more images like this and of this size in the future.

What.is. " cootiecatcher"?

19 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Actually I like the size of these pictures just fine. I print t. The big pictures or gif/memes usually print out as a whole page so I use them as the top of the cootie catcher for decoration.

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I voted, because I assumed that this poll was about his music.:unsure:

I was of course referring to how HZ's current musical output compares to that of earlier decades, but I don't mind that posters interpret the headline differently.

It seems to me that many film composers ultimately reach an age where they're more or less spent, buy they keep on writing music out of habit, such as Silvestri and Horner. It could be argued that HZ has had this "affliction" for most of the last decade, although it started to set in considerably earlier.

14 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

His early scores (RAIN MAN, GREEN CARD, THELMA AND LOUISE) I'll always like, but most stuff after GLADIATOR just seems to be formulaic, juvenile drivel.

This.

If the question is whether Zimmer's music is aging well, I answer Yes. I've often read people saying that the use of synth gives his scores a dated sound, but there is no problem to my ears. 

If the question is whether Zimmer is aging well as a composer... Well he hasn't impressed me since Interstellar, though I don't dislike Chappie and Dark Phoenix (and I haven't heard everything he has done). We'll see how his next batch of movies goes... if they ever get released :angry:

Of his most recent scores, I came to like Dark Phoenix and tolerate Blader Runner 2049Dunkirk and Inferno are both a load of rubbish (not helped by my disliking both films).

I don't think his style is dated at all, for the majority of cases.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

And who the heck is this bruce marshall fellow, with 400 something posts in the last month and all of them read something like this:

He was banned from FSM a few months ago for his incessant, barely coherent rants.  Before banning him, Lukas Kendall pointed out that he was by far FSM's most-ignored user.  Apparently he's taken up refuge here.  Lucky JWFan.

34 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

He was banned from FSM a few months ago for his incessant, barely coherent rants.  Before banning him, Lukas Kendall pointed out that he was by far FSM's most-ignored user.  Apparently he's taken up refuge here.  Lucky JWFan.

Tattle tale!😡

5 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Before banning him, Lukas Kendall pointed out that he was by far FSM's most-ignored user. 

Well, to be fair, Yavar and Thor were tied for second place. And they are nice guys!

I'd have normally made a jab about finally seeing a "Hans Zimmer Dumping Ground Thread" after all my time here, but honestly the bruce marshall conundrum is making it very entertaining.

Having consumed quite a bit of electronic music that's still appreciated to this day, I get the feeling Zimmer likely is gonna age fine. I imagine the reason his later works feel more uninspired in comparison to his early days is because he's been adopting more modern EDM sensibilities, which I can imagine is seen as pretty vapid here. Dark Phoenix is particularly emblematic of that, since it's basically an HZ techno album that he decided to make in the current age. He's been distancing himself more from traditional film music ideas, which means little for the casual crowd, but likely reaffirms how much he's seen as trash in parts of the score community. He's likely doing it because he no longer has to prove himself to Hollywood, since he's pretty much the film score guy currently (though you could also argue that because he's tired of the current climate that he is trying to switch things up however he can).

I used to be a lot angrier about him, seeing just how dull a lot of other modern film scores feel as a result of how in demand the RCP method is for popular movies. But once I actually got to listening to more of his work and understanding his thought process (even he despises how stagnant everything feels now), I certainly don't fully blame him for having caused the film music trends to be like they are. Though I'll also concede he used to be much more interesting in his earlier days, I still am curious to see where he goes from here.