“Stranger Things” (Netflix)
“Succession” (HBO)

Outstanding Comedy Series
“Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO)
“The Good Place” (NBC)
“Dead to Me” (Netflix)
“Insecure” (HBO)
“The Kominsky Method” (Netflix)
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon Prime Video)
“Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV)
“What We Do in the Shadows” (FX)

Outstanding Limited Series
“Watchmen” (HBO)
“Mrs. America” (FX on Hulu)
“Unbelievable” (Netflix)
“Unorthodox” (Netflix)
“Little Fires Everywhere” (Hulu)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson, “black-ish”
Don Cheadle, “Black Monday”
Ted Danson, “The Good Place”
Michael Douglas, “The Kominsky Method”
Eugene Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Ramy Youssef, “Ramy”

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, “Dead to Me”
Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Linda Cardellini, “Dead to Me”
Catherine O’Hara, “Schitt’s Creek”
Issa Rae, “Insecure”
Tracee Ellis Ross, “Black-ish”

Outstanding Variety Talk Series
“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy Central)
“Full Frontal with Samantha Bee” (TBS)
“Jimmy Kimmel Live!” (ABC)
“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO)
“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, “Ozark”
Brian Cox, “Succession”
Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us”
Steve Carrell “The Morning Show”
Jeremy Strong, “Succession”
Billy Porter, “Pose”

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Jennifer Aniston, “The Morning Show”
Olivia Colman, “The Crown”
Jodie Comer, “Killing Eve”
Laura Linney, “Ozark”
Sandra Oh, “Killing Eve”
Zendaya, “Euphoria”

Outstanding Competition Program
“The Masked Singer” (Fox)
“Nailed It!” (Netflix)
“RuPaul’s Drag Race” (VH1)
“Top Chef” (Bravo)
“The Voice” (NBC)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie
Jeremy Irons, “Watchmen”
Hugh Jackman, “Bad Education”
Paul Mescal, “Normal People”
Jeremy Pope, “Hollywood”
Mark Ruffalo, “I Know This Much Is True”

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie
Cate Blanchett, “Mrs. America”
Shira Haas, “Unorthodox”
Regina King, “Watchmen”
Octavia Spencer, “Self-Made”
Kerry Washington, “Little Fires Everywhere”

Outstanding Animated Program
Big Mouth • Disclosure The Movie: The Musical! • Netflix • Netflix
Bob's Burgers • Pig Trouble In Little Tina • FOX • 20th Century Fox Television
BoJack Horseman • The View From Halfway Down • Netflix • Tornante Productions, LLC
Rick And Morty • The Vat Of Acid Episode • Adult Swim • Rick and Morty, LLC
The Simpsons • Thanksgiving Of Horror • FOX • Gracie Films in association with 20th Century Fox Television

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score)
The Crown • Aberfan • Netflix • Martin Phipps, Composer
Euphoria • Bonnie And Clyde • HBO • Labrinth, Composer
The Mandalorian • Chapter 8: Redemption • Disney+ • Ludwig Göransson, Composer
Ozark • All In • Netflix • Danny Bensi, Composer, Saunder Jurriaans, Composer
Succession • This Is Not For Tears • HBO • Nicholas Britell, Music by

Outstanding Music Composition For A Limited Series, Movie Or Special (Original Dramatic Score)
Hollywood • Hooray For Hollywood: Part 2 • Netflix • Nathan Barr, Composer
Little Fires Everywhere • The Spider Web • Hulu • Mark Isham, Composer, Isabella Summers, Composer
Mrs. America • Reagan • FX Networks • Kris Bowers, Score by
Unorthodox • Part 1 • Netflix • Antonio Gambale, Composer
Watchmen • It’s Summer And We’re Running Out Of Ice • HBO • Trent Reznor, Music by, Atticus Ross, Music by

Full list of nominations here.

13 minutes ago, Romão said:

No nominations for the actors in Better Call Saul?

Giancarlo Esposito was nominated for Supporting Actor on a Drama Series, but he was the only one from BCS.

The music nominations again are a disappointment. I love Ozark, but I can't remember anything from the music, only some dramatic synths here and there. It's hard to be positive with the future of film scoring when this is the kind of "music" that are being successful at these awards shows.

I enjoyed Succession much more than I did The Mandalorian. But last I remembered, it was mostly slight variations on season one material.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I enjoyed Succession much more than I did The Mandalorian. But last I remembered, it was mostly slight variations on season one material.

You're partially correct. There's the main and end theme from season one and two new themes from season two. These make up roughly 95% of the show's music. That being said, the variations on these three are absolutely delightful, as each gets put through the ringer of Baroque-style ensemble combinations. The compositional level is certainly high despite there being some repetition. It's never boring, that much is certain. 

I am still partial to The Mandalorian, but am very excited to see two bright rising stars in Britell and Goransson all the same.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's hard to be positive with the future of film scoring when this is the kind of "music" that are being successful at these awards shows.

Why so negative again? Two great scores have been recognized, and both are well above average. The quality bar of current television scores is low to begin with, as is budget in most cases, so I'm not sure what you were expecting. I can't speak for the other three, but if your outlook on the future of film scores is based on the type of music that gets awarded, your view is much, much too narrow. There will always be good music if you're willing to branch out from the "popular" choices.

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's a Disney Plus Exclusive.

Stranger Things is a Netflix exclusive. Yet it's also available on Blu-Ray. Same with House of Cards, The Crown, Black Mirror, etc. 

It's not unheard of for "exclusives", especially big ones, to get physical releases. If anything Disney may release it shortly before Season 2 premieres to entice more people to come to Disney Plus and watch it...as Netflix did with Stranger Things. Season 1 got released shortly before 2, 2 got released shortly before 3 (turns out that's not entirely accurate, but it did come out a few months before 3), and I assume that 3 will eventually be released right before Season 4...eventually comes out.

It's possible.

20 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Stranger Things is a Netflix exclusive. Yet it's also available on Blu-Ray. Same with House of Cards, The Crown, Black Mirror, etc. 

Stranger Things is yet to receive a Blu-Ray release over here in Australia, probably because it's a flagship series the platform offers exclusively. It's strange it was given a physical release in the US.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Stranger Things is yet to receive a Blu-Ray release over here in Australia, probably because it's a flagship series the platform offers exclusively. It's strange it was given a physical release in the US.

Apparently the 4K release has no HDR.

13 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Why so negative again? Two great scores have been recognized, and both are well above average. The quality bar of current television scores is low to begin with, as is budget in most cases, so I'm not sure what you were expecting. I can't speak for the other three, but if your outlook on the future of film scores is based on the type of music that gets awarded, your view is much, much too narrow. There will always be good music if you're willing to branch out from the "popular" choices.

Maybe I was too harsh. I'm not familiar with Britell's or Gorannsson's work, mainly because I haven't watched Succession yet, and there's no Disney+ here at Brazil, so The Mandalorian haven't been released officially here. I know the score is well regarded, so I'll give it a spin once the show legally available here.

11 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Apparently the 4K release has no HDR.

Yeah the Season 1 4K is only marginally better than the Standard Blu-Ray. Season 2 4K, however, does have HDR and improves quite on a bit on the picture compared to the Blu-Ray.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Ah. That's annoying. Sorry to hear that. I thought it was kind of strange, but honestly it makes sense. I bet there was a ton of people that didn't have Netflix but heard about Stranger Things. Letting those people experience part of one of their biggest shows could potentially entice them to subscribe and catch the newest season as it's released. Especially since it takes a long time for the physical releases to come out after initially streaming release.

Like I said before though. Exclusive doesn't always mean it'll never be released. Netflix has released numerous series in physical formats over the years before Stranger Things was their flagship. House of Cards has releases and I feel like it was one of their flagship shows for awhile. It happens.

And now on topic, since this strays quite far from the point of the thread XD.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hipster!

How dare you!

9 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

:eh:

It's quite fun for what it is. And it works really well in the show.

Ludwig's score left no real impression for me and was mostly a chore to sit through.

This is true. But hey, I found myself bobbing my head to some of Reznor's killer grooves and humming along poorly to Britell's morose adagios.

Sadly, I was mostly staring at the clock with the Ludwig stuff...

It's not like any of this is glorious, era-defining music anyway. But I know I had a good time with some of it, and didn't care so much for the rest.

image0.jpg?width=800&height=450

I guess I misunderstood, as Reznor and Ross won outstanding music composition for a limited series, movie or special. Goransson has officially won outstanding music composition for a regular series. Anyways, both of them now have an Emmy, Grammy and Oscar. Congratulations, Ludwig! Look forward to hearing more soon!

EDIT: ninja’d by Jerry!!

The above discussion is all completely moot.  Actually Göransson and Reznor weren’t even nominated in the same category :lol:

Reznor won limited series and Göransson won regular series.  They both won!

4BC6D87B-B97F-4EAB-BD67-80B98F2C2A1A.jpeg

Pretty much! 

The Tony is always the toughest one. Musicals are just a much harder crossover, especially with today’s musicians/composers.

How far is Lin-Manuel Miranda with his EGOT?

I haven't watched The Mandalorian (Disney+ will only arrive here in Brazil in November), but I listened to the 8 albums, and they're all great. Congrats to Gorannssoon, one of the most interesting composers that came out over the last few years.

Technically the award Goransson won is for specific EPISODES up against each other, not entire SEASONS up against each other, but I think in reality it is basically entire season scores that are really competing.  Specifically, the nominees in the category he won were:

• Ludwig Göransson for The Mandalorian (Episode: "Chapter 8: Redemption") (Disney+)
  • Martin Phipps for The Crown (Episode: "Aberfan") (Netflix)
  • Labrinth for Euphoria (Episode: "Bonnie and Clyde") (HBO)
  • Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans for Ozark (Episode: "All In") (Netflix)
  • Nicholas Britell for Succession (Episode: "This Is Not for Tears") (HBO)

I've seen those episodes (and entire seasons) of The Mandalorian, Ozark, and Succession , and EASILY think Goransson did the best work, though I think Britell's work on Succession is great as well (nothing in Ozark's score has ever been noteworthy to me at all, and I've never seen any episode of The Crown or Euphoria).

Here are the nominees for the award Reznor and Ross won

• Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for Watchmen (Episode: "It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice") (HBO)
  • Nathan Barr for Hollywood (Episode: "Hooray for Hollywood: Part 2") (Netflix)
  • Mark Isham and Isabella Summers for Little Fires Everywhere (Episode: "The Spider Web") (Hulu)
  • Kris Bowers for Mrs. America (Episode: "Reagan") (FX)
  • Antonio Gambale for Unorthodox (Episode: "Part 1") (Netflix)

I've not seen any of those shows other than Watchmen, and I've never heard any of those scores outside their shows except for Watchmen's, but I like the Watchmen score - both how it worked in the (great!) show, and by the two listens I gave to the OST albums on Spotify.