Universal CD Shelving

Arpy

Anyone have any good CD racks/shelving units that fit a range of sizes and shapes? I've tried designing a rack which has expandable walls, and moveable dividers so the thickness of the cd cases doesn't become an issue.

The rack's dividers would slide along a track up or down, and the two walls can expand.

Here's a crappy sketch of what it might look like when a standard sized jewel-case and the multiple disc jewel-cases you might get from LLL are placed inside:

20200730_191909_2.jpg

I totally understand your need, and it's frustrating there's so few options out there (at least here in Norway).

My best advice, that would also be available in Australia, is to purchase several of Ikea's Benno / Gnedby CD shelves, and mount them together.

If you dislike the double walls, you could modify them without too much work.

Improved Ikea Benno CD Shelf

https://www.instructables.com/id/Improved-Ikea-Benno-CD-shelf/

It's not a perfect solution - you can't increase the width of each room, but you can at lease vary the height. And it's two meters tall, so you won't waste much vertical space.

Done !

EDIT: Note that if you want a door on the shelves, to avoid dust and sun bleaching, or toddlers, you could mount two Benno / Gnedby shelves together without removing the double wall in the middle, because then you can fit a 40 cm wide Benny door on it.

Yeah, you'll surely have to build the shelf yourself! 

If I were to buy another shelf today, I'd probably just buy two Benno / Gnedby shelves without any modifications, so I could put on a Billy door.

If I had more free time and the right equipment, I'd buy a Billy shelf with door and then reduce the depth of the shelf.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When I first saw the title of this thread, I feared that Universal Music had shelved production of CDs!

We can only hope. Some titles should stay forbidden.

• 5 weeks later...

I just happened to be on CraigsList looking for CD shelving options and came across a post for Ikea Gnedby shelves that the user said is now discontinued.  I went to Ikea's site and sure enough when I searched for it no results.  I currently have 2 of the white Gnedbys holding my collection in between 2 white BIlly bookshelves but I am going to eventually run out of room.  Of course the CL post is for 3 black ones and they are a considerable distance from my house to get them plus I'd have to paint them to match.  Might have to rethink my whole strategy now for my office.  

25 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I just happened to be on CraigsList looking for CD shelving options and came across a post for Ikea Gnedby shelves that the user said is now discontinued.  I went to Ikea's site and sure enough when I searched for it no results.  I currently have 2 of the white Gnedbys holding my collection in between 2 white BIlly bookshelves but I am going to eventually run out of room.  Of course the CL post is for 3 black ones and they are a considerable distance from my house to get them plus I'd have to paint them to match.  Might have to rethink my whole strategy now for my office.  

Gnedby isn't discontinued, at least not in Norway. Contact your local Ikea store, I'm sure they can get them for you.

15 hours ago, Romão said:

Ikea's Billy shelves have the perfect size for cd's. A sigle Billy can hold 12 rows with the perfect height for cd's on a vertical position.

Mostly perfect...  The LOTR CRs force you to move the shelf up a notch

15 hours ago, Romão said:

Ikea's Billy shelves have the perfect size for cd's. A sigle Billy can hold 12 rows with the perfect height for cd's on a vertical position.

But they're way too deep.

You're wasting a lot of space if you don't modify them.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But they're way too deep.

You're wasting a lot of space if you don't modify them.

How so?  There's about a 1/4" gap from the front of the case to the edge of the shelf.

13 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

How so?  There's about a 1/4" gap from the front of the case to the edge of the shelf.

If you're referring to the dedicated CD/DVD shelves that match the design of the Billy book shelves, I agree. In Scandinavia (at least), these CD/DVD shelves are called Benno / Gnedby.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How's it going with your shelving plans, @Arpy?

Haven't had a chance to seriously consider anything atm, unfortunately. I think once I have the money and time, I'll probably take your recommendation of the IKEA shelves.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, Arpy said:

Haven't had a chance to seriously consider anything atm, unfortunately. I think once I have the money and time, I'll probably take your recommendation of the IKEA shelves.

As long as you don't shelve the plans!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn’t mine, but I had picked up 3 of these from Best Buy about 12 or so years ago. They each hold 756 CDs.  They are still available but much more than what I paid for them.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atlantic-oskar-wood-media-cabinet-maple/4221593.p?skuId=4221593

AB0283DA-C8B6-4C3B-BCFB-9DF9637E0EA9.jpeg

On 11/2/2020 at 3:07 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is there an option with doors?

Wayfair has these, a bit pricy at over $400.00. But I’d love to have them.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/loon-peak-wood-multimedia-media-cabinet-w001503283.html

B86E31F2-CFD6-443C-BCBB-48CDB3859371.jpeg

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice! But I prefer doors without glass. Looks less messy, and you avoid bleaching of the spines when exposed to the sun.

I keep mine positioned to where the sun doesn’t hit the shelves. Plus I keep the blinds closed. I had to take care in my “man cave” as well with my models and Godzilla figures. 

15 hours ago, Ollie said:

Wayfair has these, a bit pricy at over $400.00. But I’d love to have them.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/loon-peak-wood-multimedia-media-cabinet-w001503283.html

B86E31F2-CFD6-443C-BCBB-48CDB3859371.jpeg

I don't have enough bare wall but two would be big enough for me.