Song Compilation Soundtracks!

It may be embarrassing to admit, but we all have them in our soundtrack collection: song compilation soundtracks! By that I mean soundtracks that mostly consists of pre-existing songs. Do you dare to list the ones you've got?

I can tell you that when I was nothing but a little rascal, I wanted nothing more than to buy this CD.

It had exclusive “unlikely” collaborations between a lot of big names. In a way, I guess it paved the way for some collabs that would hit a few years later (such as Jay-Z and Linkin Park) as well as the mash-up culture that hit in the late 90’s.

9C0A9F55-8D1B-48FB-B14D-8774248EF2C5.jpeg

I bought the soundtrack album from Spider-Man 2 when I was twelve years old not realizing there was a score album also :banghead:

Still liked the songs, and the album contained two suites from the score so it wasn't anything to complain about!

For comps of previously released songs, The Matrix and O Brother come to mind.

If you count albums of new songs "from and inspired by" movies, there are others. Top Gun, Twilight: Eclipse, anything by Giorgio Moroder (Metropolis, Scarface).

I actually do not own any purely song compilation soundtracks. Soundtrack albums with score and songs yes but not a single album with only songs or "songs from and inspired by the film".

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I actually do not own any purely song compilation soundtracks. Soundtrack albums with score and songs yes but not a single album with only songs or "songs from and inspired by the film".

What about albums in the past?

And are you implying you don't own the soundtrack to the Sibelius film?

4453294-origpic-56e96b.jpg

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I used to have that on CDR.

I wonder how many people did... it was the Napster era! Actually now that I think about it, I too had it on a CDR that a friend made me. In recent years I finally bought a legit used copy. I forgot about that, lol.

Actually, the first-ever soundtrack CD I got, way before I was interested in scores or soundtracks, really, was this -- bought right when the film came out in 1991:

ab67616d0000b2738e790709b9f3ce9dc731f49f

I have a number of others, like THE BLUES BROTHERS. And a whole bunch of soundtracks that contain mostly songs, and little score. Most of my A.R. Rahman albums, all the Menken/Disney stuff, THE WARRIORS, DOWN TWISTED, SPRING BREAKERS, ZABRISKIE POINT, MANHUNTER, CLIMAX, Moroder stuff, Faltermeyer stuff etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about albums in the past?

And are you implying you don't own the soundtrack to the Sibelius film?

4453294-origpic-56e96b.jpg

I have always been a score fan more than a fan of songs used in movies so nope, I never bought any. I used to be very annoyed to find that they had ordered the "songs only" version of a soundtrack release to our local CD store instead of the score album back in the day when I used to buy my music from brick and mortar stores.

And I don't own that "song album" for that Sibelius movie. Although I do own the music used in the film on several classical music recordings. :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have a number of others, like THE BLUES BROTHERS. An

That's a great album, but it's a grey area. Although it's pre-existing songs, the recordings are new, especially made for the film.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Menken/Disney

Don't those films mostly have original songs by Menken?

31 minutes ago, Incanus said:

And I don't own that "song album" for that Sibelius movie. Although I do own the music used in the film on several classical music recordings. :lol: 

Is the film any good?

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the film any good?

Sadly not very. The director is known for some very average to awful fare and despite the first rate Finnish actors in the leading roles, Sibelius is a rather stiff period picture that plays it entirely safe and faithfully follows nearly all of the major anecdotal events of his life until his death. The end result is hardly a biopic masterpiece. Serviceable. The music is truly the best thing about it.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Sibelius is a rather stiff period picture that plays it entirely safe and faithfully follows nearly all of the major anecdotal events of his life until his death.

Interesting. I read in a review that the film took too many liberties with the facts.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. I read in a review that the film took too many liberties with the facts.

Well that too. But I found it a rather stuffy and play-it-safe biopic.

Back to the Future

Good Will Hunting - the two score selections are superbly chosen.

O Brother, Where Are Thou (does that even have a score?)

From Dusk TIll Dawn - The songs completely eclipse what little there is of Revell's score.

Plus a handful of other older 90s ones where the single 'theme' score track is sufficient for me, and I can ignore the songs.

I also love the two songs Lana Del Rey did for Big Eyes, and couldn't care less about Elfman's music.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Actually, the first-ever soundtrack CD I got, way before I was interested in scores or soundtracks, really, was this -- bought right when the film came out in 1991:

ab67616d0000b2738e790709b9f3ce9dc731f49f

This is on permanent rotation, in my car. Nice crisp production (courtesy of Jimmy Iovine), and plenty of atmosphere.