• TPM
    • AOTC
    • ROTS
    • TFA
    • TLJ
    • TROS

Here is something about them all from me:

SW: First and classic, nuff said.

ESB: Considered to be the best on Filmtracks, for example. I really like it, but it too much relies on Yoda's and Vader's themes, imo.

ROTJ: Most complex work of all 9 for me. So many themes here, all finale stuff is just superb. Only minus is Ewok stuff.

TPM: Most Star-Warsy from prequels and obviously the best from them, but not for me. Ending battle and all after it there is on god-tier too.

AOTC: Not my cup of tea. Aside action tracks, I'm not a big fan of all this quiet romance stuff, except some tracks, like Meadow Scene.

ROTS: My favourite or second after ROTJ, very emotional, hits on the same level as ROTJ in terms of drama, or even more. No Ewok stuff, woo-hoo! Not very developed in terms of themes, and that is the main compalint on Filmtracks. It's actually very funny to read reviews from release time about this score. If this is still all true, ROTS is underrated as hell. Final stuff kicks ass again. Best opening stuff by far too.

TFA: Strongest from the sequels, excellent new themes, best End Titles for me.

TLJ: Relies heavy on old themes, and overall feels.... I don't know. This thing with repeating opening battle music in Battle of Crait is really bothering me. So. overall, meh. I like second motif of Rebellion Reborn very much, btw.

TROS: Still listening to it, but now it is the weakest for me.TLJ is close second. Minus perfomance, of course. All official releases gave us too little of final recorded amount of music. Score is butchered to hell in the movie, even prequels weren't like this. Plus very questionable use of themes, like repurposing music from ESB scene where Yoda lifts X-Wing e.t.c.

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@mxsch The ESB Yoda Uses the Force reuse in TRoS seemed like a perfect moment to do so. How is it questionable when it's intentionally referencing the same actions from ESB? It makes that scene much stronger.

And what about reusing Yoda theme in Reunion? I'm sorry, I've just forgot that I've wanted to mention this one.

26 minutes ago, mxsch said:

TLJ: Relies heavy on old themes,

Whats wrong about that? Do you want him to write new themes for characters who already has one? I think TLJ is the best sequel score because it has so much thematic material in it. 

30 minutes ago, mxsch said:

This thing with repeating opening battle music in Battle of Crait is really bothering me

It is a Battle motif so it is suppose to be in both Battle scenes. 

7 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

Whats wrong about that? Do you want him to write new themes for characters who already has one? I think TLJ is the best sequel score because it has so much thematic material in it. 

It is a Battle motif so it is suppose to be in both Battle scenes. 

Battle motif, cool, almost whole cue is a motif. TLJ suffers from duration and amount of underscore.

25 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@mxsch The ESB Yoda Uses the Force reuse in TRoS seemed like a perfect moment to do so. How is it questionable when it's intentionally referencing the same actions from ESB? It makes that scene much stronger.

And what I've wanted to write about TROS, Yoda's theme now not only Yoda's theme, Luke and Leia's theme now not their theme only too.

The sheer complexity and the way Williams maneuvers through the themes in ESB made it so that none of the themes felt overused (Yoda and Vader are prominent characters in the film).

6 minutes ago, mxsch said:

Battle motif, cool, almost whole cue is a motif.

I don't get it, you have the tenacity to rate the other scores and have listened to them to know how Williams uses themes and motifs etc., and then you can't work out why or how a motif can be used in a cue like The Battle of Crait? 

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

The sheer complexity and the way Williams maneuvers through the themes in ESB made it so that none of the themes felt overused (Yoda and Vader are prominent characters in the film).

I don't get it, you have the tenacity to rate the other scores and have listened to them to know how Williams uses themes and motifs etc., and then you can't work out why or how a motif can be used in a cue like The Battle of Crait? 

Oh, never mind. I've got it from the beginning. Just my stupid nitpicking.

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

??

NAn3ojT.gif

Williams applied it to the whole Reunion thing, when Luke and Leia played when Lando met his daughter.

Just check this out.

This guy actually have some mistakes, like he thinking that Imperial March is only Vader's theme, but overall, he is on point.

9 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

How can it not be ESB.....

because the same question is asked every six months and people grow tired of picking of the obviously correct choice.  

On 8/1/2020 at 2:01 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Tons of great points in this post, but this is something I feel is overlooked. One of the best parts of an otherwise disappointing credits suite is that big, almost march version of the Anthem of Evil. I don't remember many other uses like that in the film at all. That, plus probably most of the deeper Sith stuff got lost in having to make two movies and a finale to 9 parts in one film.

Anthem of Evil is also unique in that, of all the leitmotifs in the saga (those shown on @Falstaft's list), it just blows me away that it's the only one not to have a full statement somewhere in the film proper (i.e., other than the end credits). It's second half never gets played in the film itself.

And I'm talking about the A section of themes, the part that makes the theme the theme. Even themes in other films that don't appear very much like Luke and Leia, or Poe have a complete statement. Rose's theme as well, which is heard a lot, appears only single time in complete form during The Fathiers. 

I'm just saying that in his Star Wars scores, it seems important for Williams to have a complete form of each new leitmotif somewhere in the film, then to use the end credits as a summary of those complete statements, not as a place to reveal a full theme. So Anthem of Evil almost certainly had more to do in the film.

Since we don't have complete scores, I am merely scoring the original albums here.

Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi and Star Wars are the three best albums. Perhaps not in that order, although perhaps. Just because it is newer, I listen to The Last Jedi a lot.

Score in context makes it much tougher.

Interesting @blondheim, not many members here seem to appreciate Attack of the Clones.

It's a score I find myself returning to more and more - I like the balance between the action and the quieter moments and the development of the love theme.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Interesting @blondheim, not many members here seem to appreciate Attack of the Clones.

It's a score I find myself returning to more and more - I like the balance between the action and the quieter moments and the development of the love theme.

I'm really changed my mind about AOTC to much bigger appreciation.