James Horner's CASPER (1995) - 2CD edition from La-La Land Records (2020)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Casper is indeed great. Now that the score is complete, I'll be able to judge which one is better, Casper or Balto (both came out in 95).

Balto is better but the expanded Casper is welcome. As is just about anything by Horner these days.

How much is missing from the OST?

Karol

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Casper is indeed great. Now that the score is complete, I'll be able to judge which one is better, Casper or Balto (both came out in 95).

That's as good an excuse as any to listen to those scores again.

I've never seen this movie and have no idea how much music might have been recorded that wasn't on the OST album, but I can't wait to hear this new presentation regardless!

I just remembered I HAVE seen this film! We watched it a few years back during a free month or week or something of HBO. 

Bill Pullman is the dad, and there's a freaking Dan Aakroyd cameo. Huh. 

I suppose Casper on disc 1 is the complete film score program with additional 12 minutes on disc 2  and alternates/ bonus cues.( I doubt the film OST on disc 2.)

Curiously this is a Horner score I have never heard in any form. Time to check it out to hear if it warrants a purchase in complete form.

25 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Curiously this is a Horner score I have never heard in any form. Time to check it out to hear if it warrants a purchase in complete form.

This rounds up the score's assets rather well:

Sounds like animation scoring Horner combined with the obligatory Elfman temp track references. I'll have to listen to the whole album now.

There is a gorgeous passage late in the film where Casper's Lullaby is given a full-strings performance. It is one of those instances where I'd buy a deluxidation simply for one new track...but I can't afford to do that anymore. Alas...

9 hours ago, Kühni said:

There is a gorgeous passage late in the film where Casper's Lullaby is given a full-strings performance. It is one of those instances where I'd buy a deluxidation simply for one new track...but I can't afford to do that anymore. Alas...

That's not on the OST?

A 2-disc set means it'll be priced at $29.98, plus shipping. That's kinda outside my budget right now, but this is an irresistible Horner for me, so I know I'll end up ordering next week.

LLL usually has a 25 percent off sale first week of Sept.

Just saying.😊

18 hours ago, Incanus said:

Sounds like animation scoring Horner combined with the obligatory Elfman temp track references. ...

That's why I only program 5 tracks!

On 7/31/2020 at 1:01 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Hopefully, they haven't wrecked the dynamic range.

Funny you should say that.

The ost is particularly well recorded.

The bass drum can be felt across the room!

26 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The bass drum can be felt across the room!

It's a Shawn Murphy job, that's pretty much a given even with his worst recordings. Casper is a good one though. That end credits swing piece has a lot of punch, too. I seem to remember that it's a bit flat in the treble department, so if the new version sounds a bit brighter, that's probably not a bad thing.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:52 PM, Jay said:

"you Horner fans"? You don't like any James Horner scores?

I like Willow, Legends of the Fall, and bits and pieces of Titanic.  I have a ton of his albums but don’t really care for many of them.  He’s a lot like Goldsmith for me - I used to blind buy because I felt like I SHOULD like him, but never really did, so now I don’t waste my money.

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I looked up a few tracks of Casper in the waveform, and you can hardly even see it, the friggin thing is so quiet. It's awesome!

A good Horner score is a mute score!

Karol