James Horner's CASPER (1995) - 2CD edition from La-La Land Records (2020)

Jay

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

I don't understand the concept of this GIF.

Please explain.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I like Willow, Legends of the Fall, and bits and pieces of Titanic.  I have a ton of his albums but don’t really care for many of them.  He’s a lot like Goldsmith for me - I used to blind buy because I felt like I SHOULD like him, but never really did, so now I don’t waste my money.

You don't like Horner OR Goldsmith?!!!!😉

20190402_215225_HDR.jpg

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I like Willow, Legends of the Fall, and bits and pieces of Titanic.  I have a ton of his albums but don’t really care for many of them.  He’s a lot like Goldsmith for me - I used to blind buy because I felt like I SHOULD like him, but never really did, so now I don’t waste my money.

You can at least put the albums on eBay and get some of your money back. :)

CASPER: 25th ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1514
Music by James Horner
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 4

Orders start 12 noon (pst) on 8/4 at www.lalalandrecords.com

Casper25th-Web.jpg

La-La Land Records, in association with Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, Universal Music Special Markets and Geffen Records, proudly present CASPER: 25th ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED EDITION, an expanded and remastered 2-CD reissue of renowned composer James Horner’s (ALIENS, PROJECT X, GLORY, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER), original motion picture score to the 1995 fantasy drama/comedy CASPER, starring Christina Ricci, Bill Pullman and Cathy Moriarty, and directed by Brad Silberling. Maestro Horner fashions a wondrous, emotional orchestral score for this amusing and touching fantasy in which a young girl befriends and aids the titular friendly ghost when she and her afterlife therapist father move into an old mansion. Beautiful, hauntingly heartwarming, and brimming with fun, this notable score shines in this deluxe remastered and expanded release, showcasing the expanded score, with never before released material and additional bonus tracks, on Disc 1, and the remastered original 1995 soundtrack presentation on Disc 2. Produced by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Matessino, in consultation with original recording engineer Shawn Murphy, this limited edition release of 3000 units features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jeff Bond and art design by Jim Titus.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1
Expanded Soundtrack

1 Kids With A Camera ** 1:49
2 Carrigan & Dibs 2:40
3 March Of The Exorcists 2:44
4 On To Whipstaff ** 2:22
5 “No Sign Of Ghosts” 7:31
6 First Haunting / The Swordfight (Film Version) ** 5:22
7 Casper Makes Breakfast 3:43
8 Ride Of The Valkyries / Ghost Melt* :31
9 Kat Walks To School ** :55
10 Fatso As Amelia * 1:27
11 The Doctor Is In * 1:54
12 The Lighthouse - Casper & Kat 4:57
13 Costume For Kat 1:39
14 Kat In The Attic / Fond Memories **2:26
15 Descent To Lazarus 10:19
16 ‘Dying’ To Be A Ghost (Film Version) ** 3:05
17 Carrigan Crosses Over 2:32
18 Dad Returns 3:15
19 Casper Gets His Wish** 2:01
20 One Last Wish 4:19
21 The Uncles Swing /
End Credits 6:23
Total Score Time: 72:10

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
22 Kids With A Camera (Film Version) ** + 1:48
23 Casper The Friendly Ghost (Score Segments) *+ 1:12
24 Teaser 1:08
Total Additional Music: 4:09
Disc 1 Total Time: 76:26

DISC 2
Remastered Original Soundtrack

1 “No Sign Of Ghosts” 7:32
2 Carrigan & Dibs 2:40
3 Strangers In The House 2:35
4 First Haunting / The Swordfight 5:01
5 March Of The Exorcists 2:44
6 The Lighthouse - Casper & Kat 4:57
7 Casper Makes Breakfast 3:42
8 Fond Memories 3:39
9 ‘Dying’ To Be A Ghost 7:03
10 Casper’s Lullaby 5:38
11 Descent To Lazarus 10:20
12 One Last Wish 4:19
13 Remember Me This Way
(Performed by Jordan Hill) 4:28
14 Casper The Friendly Ghost
(Performed by Little Richard)+ 2:11
15 The Uncles Swing /End Credits 6:24
Disc 2 Total Time: 73:19

* Previously unreleased
** Contains previously unreleased music
+ Contains “Casper The Friendly Ghost”
Written by Mack David and Jerry Livingston

Yeah, that's a strange one. Does the OST have a radically different mix to the film score or something? Maybe some alternates that haven't been included on disc one?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, that's a strange one. Does the OST have a radically different mix to the film score or something? Maybe some alternates that haven't been included on disc one?

Maybe they're simply obligated to include it?

Karol

Mike mentioned he was working on a score where Shawn Murphy had requested changes to the dynamic range (because he wasn't happy with the previous release).

This might be the release he was referring to, hence the remastered OST?

Does no * after "Teaser" mean Horner wrote original music for a teaser trailer and included it on his OST presentation?  Which track is it inside of if that's the case?

Mike Matessino, who co-produced the reissue and Shawn Murphy, the score’s original recording engineer, decided to take a more modern sonic approach to the overall dynamics and presence. They also applied this to the original album, a remastered version of which makes up disc 2 of the new La-La Land edition.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the review of James Horner Film Music, including how many music is actually missing from the OST, track by track analyses, and more!

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/casper-expanded-edition-our-exclusive-review/

That article includes the back cover, which is really nicely done

casper-2020-tracklist.jpg

Nice splash art too

casper_LLL_2CD_2020.jpg

OK, that article says (emphasis mine)

Finally, Casper’s three ghostly uncles get a theme which is tonally similar to the one for Carrigan and Dibs but musically different – it receives the deluxe treatment in Teaser (La-La Land disc 1 track 24, arguably the best of the unreleased cues), which Horner composed prior to the film’s release and which features spectacularly orchestrated, fast-paced statements of the theme.

So I guess "Teaser" wasn't on the OST after all, and they just forgot the * in the press release

(also, all the music was composed prior to the film's release! :p)

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK, that article says (emphasis mine)

So I guess "Teaser" wasn't on the OST after all, and they just forgot the *

(also, all the music was composed prior to the film's release! :p)

the * is on the back cover :)

definitely among my Top 5 Horner scores, so I'm quite excited that it got an extended release, even if there's not that much unreleased music. Waiting for The Perfect Storm now...! (listening to the leaked complete score on repeat for days)

24 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

definitely among my Top 5 Horner scores, so I'm quite excited that it got an extended release, even if there's not that much unreleased music. Waiting for The Perfect Storm now...! (listening to the leaked complete score on repeat for days)

Now THAT is a score I want complete and available. :)

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, you repeated my point. 

Because it would be weird to record the music after the film was released, can't really think of many films that have had cues recorded for that film after it was released, only the Middle-Earth EE's come to mind.

16 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

How much is unreleased? I love that main theme, but remember the OST being very repetitive.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

How much is unreleased? I love that main theme, but remember the OST being very repetitive.

Aproximately 11 minutes, according to the review on JHFM:

[...] By and large, roughly 55 minutes of the underscore survive in the finished film.

The La-La Land album features the full 77-minute score, featuring must-have cues that were previously unreleased. [...]

If we pull out the calculator, the 1995 album was 61 minutes without the songs and Casper’s Lullaby, compared to 72 minutes today with this new edition (without counting the four interesting bonus minutes). The addition of unreleased music in the new presentation of the score on disc 1 is therefore limited to 11 minutes and may not seem to be worth the purchase for those who already have the 1995 album. However it can be justified by taking into account the narrative experience which is new because the arrangement of the tracks is more respectful of the film. These 11 minutes are spread over half of the 21 total tracks, so the feeling of novelty is constantly present, and is not limited to one or two cues.

Oops, I wasn't very clear in my post. I was actually referring to unreleased music from The Perfect Storm, not Casper! Sorry guys!

It's a very lengthy OST at 79 minutes, figured it didn't have much unreleased.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It is, but Horner took out quite a few of the less thematic action cues, which makes the ca. 110-120 minute long score still a doozie. With Casper it's more like a big yawn - at 40$ or more with shipping especially - because it was a great, almost complete album to begin with.