James Horner's CASPER (1995) - 2CD edition from La-La Land Records (2020)

Jay

Casper always was a bass-heavy score, it's inherent in Murphy's recording. Whatever mixing or mastering they threw at it, it remains very similar to the original mix (which was rather quiet and kinda cavernous).

most of the music for the first scene with Carrigan and Dibs was cut, the music starts when the fire reveals the hidden ink. I added the music as (probably?!) intended by James Horner. Notice the glissando strings doing some Mickey Mousing at 1:07 !!! :D

You can haunt me all you want but it's gonna be in a great big expensive house with lovely purple wallpaper and great big green carpets, and a little dog called Carrigan...a bitch! Just like you!

Obviously, people post score restore videos all the time.  You just can't upload them to JWFan's servers as an attachments, you gotta slap em up on Vimeo or Google Video or something

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Obviously, people post score restore videos all the time.  You just can't upload them to JWFan's servers as an attachments, you gotta slap em up on Vimeo or Google Video or something

I did the entire film's audio mix, AND I did separate sequences. I've been doing them for years. I sent you an email with a link to the film with the restored score. 

I was hoping to join in on this discussion. Was pretty excited for this release.

Can't wait to listen, but it seems my copy (along with The Pagemaster) is simply stuck in LA. No idea when it'll get here. It's been there for 6 days now and no new shipping updates in the last two days either.

I eagerly await as I read what everyone thinks! Lol.

7 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Can't wait to listen, but it seems my copy (along with The Pagemaster) is simply stuck in LA. No idea when it'll get here. It's been there for 6 days now and no new shipping updates in the last two days either.

Well, we all know who is to blame for that!

😠😡

UPDATE. Casper and Pagemaster have finally (and randomly) shown up today.

After being shipped by LLL on the 13th, being stuck in LA through the 18th, and then shipping updates stopping altogether until it showed up today, the 22nd.

Gonna be honest, I've never experienced anything like that before. This kind of crap can really hurt businesses.

Back more on topic though. Time to LISTEN!

22 minutes ago, Kühni said:

I doubt LLL has any power over the USPS/shipping companies, especially in these fucking Corona times that both do complicate everything but which also make for a very easy excuse if something goes awry. A shipment of mine took a week from San Francisco to Redondo Beach, and is being processed in Compton since last week. Wonder if it'll make it to Germany before the end of the year!

Oh of course. It's not LLL's fault at all. 

I'm not gonna complain too much more about it. They got here and they got here in good shape. I was mostly just baffled by the utter lack of information and length which hasn't really been an issue in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyable presentation. I only had a chance to check it out last night. It doesn't necessarily alter my perception of the score but having some extra bits does help (the opening, for example). It does solidify the perception Horner was really a master at kid's movies and produced some of his best work for those. While many composers would mainly accentuate the silly elements, Horner finds a way to add some emotional credibility.

Karol

17 hours ago, Jay said:

publicist, don't be rude.  If you don't like a post, you don't have to reply to it.  You can close the thread and read another one instead

Jeez, it's just a little ribbing. These guys spam every second thread with 'better than everyone' posts, which is a nuisance.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Jeez, it's just a little ribbing. These guys spam every second thread with 'better than everyone' posts, which is a nuisance.

You understand the world of difference between saying a composer is great and telling another forum member to shut up right?

• 1 month later...

I just listened to this score for the first time last night and LOVED IT!!!! The off-the-wall spooky, mischievous cartoon sound combined with Horner's usual sensibilities worked wonderfully. What a FUN score to listen to. And I was very happy with the listening experience of the first disc. Putting the Casper theme material together at the end, followed by the teaser, turned out to be a good approach. Shame that disc 1 couldn't close out with Casper's Lullaby. But I'm looking forward to giving this some more listens. It's perfect for Halloween, but also has a bit of a Christmas feel as well, probably from the sleigh bells, the chorus, and the warm, emotional scoring in some parts. I also caught Cocoon vibes, but found it more engaging than that score (sorry, I know Cocoon is big around here). And it's one of the nicer-looking releases I've bought lately. The front cover, spine, and disc art all looks fantastic.

• 3 months later...

The Chronological Film Score Blog has some different timestamps for OST stuff than my google doc, I'd assume he's right and I should update my doc

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2021/01/casper-1995.html

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Trope said:

I've just ordered this one! Never listened to the OST before. Does this rank highly in Horner circles?

It's among my Horner top 5 favourite scores. In his "straight to the heart" kind of work. The inclusion of the original OST in disc 2 is a very good thing as it's a very different edit compared to the film mix on disc 1. And you get to have "Casper's Lullaby", a cue recorded specifically for the 1995 album release. A beautiful, nostalgic, haunting theme which makes me shed a tear every single time.

Tech wise, the sound is amazing on both discs and the 1995 album has been remastered. As usual, Mike Matessino did an amazing job.

1 hour ago, Levraibond said:

It's among my Horner top 5 favourite scores. In his "straight to the heart" kind of work. The inclusion of the original OST in disc 2 is a very good thing as it's a very different edit compared to the film mix on disc 1. And you get to have "Casper's Lullaby", a cue recorded specifically for the 1995 album release. A beautiful, nostalgic, haunting theme which makes me shed a tear every single time.

Tech wise, the sound is amazing on both discs and the 1995 album has been remastered. As usual, Mike Matessino did an amazing job.

This has me hyped! Thanks for the recommendation and description.