Rate Ludovic Bource's score to The Artist

Jurassic Shark

Rate Ludovic Bource's score to The Artist  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Ludovic Bource's score to The Artist

• Haven't heard it

I saw the film yeas ago and remember the music being entirely appropriate and functional... but memorable? Not really.

It was elevated at the oscars because attaching it to a silent film makes it fashionable to say it's amazing.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ah, you bought the LP. :)

I do listen to a lot of LPs, but no, in this case I bought the CD.

It's not that I can't listen to The Artist. It's that I don't listen to The Artist. Sometimes it's hard to put your finger on why you don't feel like listening to something, even though you like it.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I liked the film and score a lot, enough to buy the album, but then I never listened to it. Make of that what you will.

Poseur!😝

It's a good score to a.very entertaining remake.of A STAR IS BORN.

Using VERTIGO was a copout.

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I have the FYC bro. I was being sincere. It's mp3 though. I can share the track listing I figured out too, if you want it.

Here's the track listing of the FYC.

https://www.discogs.com/Ludovic-Bource-The-Artist-Original-Score/release/13435347

Yeah I meant I can share the track listing of my combined chronological OST/FYC playlist. Back in the day I actually checked the film to figure it out.

Also just checked and the mp3s I have are 320 kbps, which is also the best available online that I can find right now.

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Yeah I meant I can share the track listing of my combined chronological OST/FYC playlist.

Great! Does the OST have tracks not on the FYC?

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Back in the day I actually checked the film to figure it out.

All that work and you still don't listen to it. ;)

The FYC is missing the tracks from the OST that were not composed for the film, and I believe it's missing "My Suicide", which if I remember right is the original composition that goes where "Scene D'amour" was in the theatrical film. It makes sense if the Academy was supposed to be considering the theatrical version of the film ("Scene D'amour" was replaced with the original composition for the Blu-ray).

Lol yeah sometimes collecting music ends up being about the thrill of the chase. Although I did listen yesterday, after all this talk about it. It holds up, it's a really good score. Favorite tracks:

George Valentin

Pretty Peppy

Comme une Rosee de Larmes

Auction Rooms

Peppy and George

4 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

My Suicide

My Suicide is basically an arrangement of Herrmann's Scene D'Amour.

4 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

"Scene D'amour" was replaced with the original composition for the Blu-ray

Was that the case also for the DVD?

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Lol yeah sometimes collecting music ends up being about the thrill of the chase. Although I did listen yesterday, after all this talk about it. It holds up, it's a really good score. Favorite tracks:

George Valentin

Pretty Peppy

Comme une Rosee de Larmes

Auction Rooms

Peppy and George

I find the first ten (ca.) tracks of the OST to be really entertaining, then my attention starts to drift a bit for the remainder of the OST. I'm not saying it's bad, some of the tracks just require more attentive listening. I like how varied the score is!

Always found this to be an overrated film and score. The film, in particular. The score is OK in its pastiche stylings, but nothing remarkable, IMO. So it got an even 2.5 from me.

I own the soundtrack, but haven't played it in a long time. When it didn't grab after a few listens back in the day, I just let it sit there (I was also irritated by how popular it was; it was even a favourite on Norwegian radio). I'll no doubt play it again at some point.

Several times since the film came out, I've listened to the album on Spotify and considered whether to purchase it. At first, I think I was turned off by too much variation in its expression, and the fact that the second half of the OST is more subdued. Then I listened more closely and found almost all tracks to be interesting in some way. And I don't mind Herrmann imitations as long as they're done as well as here!

Btw, what do people think of Alfonso De Vilallonga's score to Blancanieves, the "sequel" to The Artist? :)

On 8/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Just compare the tracks.

As Stravinsky said, lesser artists borrow; great artists steal. :)

My suicide is not used in the movie. It is replaced with Vertigo.

That's why I said above that it used Vertigo for finale and many academy members felt is should have been disqualified.

17 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

My suicide is not used in the movie. It is replaced with Vertigo.

That's why I said above that it used Vertigo for finale and many academy members felt is should have been disqualified.

I know, but My Suicide it used on the BR version, according to @Smeltington.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, what do people think of Alfonso De Vilallonga's score to Blancanieves, the "sequel" to The Artist? :)

Now THAT score, I really, really like. I have my own 49-minute curated playlist of the overlong soundtrack.

Reading thru this thread had me questioning reality. For a second I thought the Vertigo cue was NOT used in the film even though I distinctly remember it being there. But now i understand it was replaced on the Bluray release.