Billy Goldenberg has passed away

bruce marshall

One of the best, most innovative, and underrated Hollywood composers ever.

I loved him so much I wrote an article about COLUMBO just so I could praise the amazing RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN score.

Maybe, like Shirley Walker, he will get his due in the aftermath.

Rip BG

20200805_175143.jpg

I created a track list for the untitled LP.

It's on the YOU TUBE posting ( uncredited)

Screenshot_2020-08-05-18-06-16~2.png

Screenshot_2020-08-05-18-43-56~2.png

Sad to hear about this yesterday. 

Goldenberg is the composer with whom Spielberg has worked the most, after Williams. You could even release a compilation of their stuff together; I did a thread on this on FSM a few years ago, but alas, I can't find it anymore. DUEL, plus all the TV stuff.

I also once had a fan-made Goldenberg compilation, but I don't know where it went.

One of the great what - ifs:

What if Goldenberg scored SUGARLAND - SS sent him the script.

That would have lead to JAWS and CE3K ( I personally think BG would have equalled or surpassed JW).

If JW never scores JAWS, SS doesn't recommend JW to George Lucas!

Williams never becomes JOHN WILLIAMS!

The mind boggles....

Indeed. But I'm thankful we have the Goldenberg/Spielberg collaboration that we have. Now if only some would release it. This 2CD set, I'd buy:

1. DUEL (1971) - curated soundtrack selection

2. THE EARLY TV DAYS

- Night Gallery: Pilot - Suite

- Columbo: Murder by the Book - Suite

- The Name of the Game: LA 2017 - Suite

3. AMAZING STORIES (Spielberg as producer)

- The Amazing Falsworth

- What if?

- Secret Cinema

I already ' curated' DUEL, complete with new and improved track titles.

Im sure I posted it on Intrada.

This board is like LADYHAWKE; just as everybody is waking, I'm going to bed.

G'nite.

Screenshot_2020-08-05-19-32-14~2.png

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I already ' curated' DUEL, complete with new and improved track titles.

Kudos for the work, but I was thinking of an arranged curation of material for listening purposes. I once owned the DUEL boot (C&C) and it was terrible. The "Herrmann/PSYCHO"-like stuff, for example, was all-too-prevalent. Needed to be spread out more.

Good night! It's morning here in Norway.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

You could even release a compilation of their stuff together; I did a thread on this on FSM a few years ago, but alas, I can't find it anymore. DUEL, plus all the TV stuff.

Maybe you're thinking of this?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26820-how-about-an-album-of-the-non-williams-spielberg-scores/

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

A-ha! Apparently it was here on JWFAN. In that thread, I forgot to add the Goldenberg episodes from the Spielberg-produced AMAZING STORIES.

The chase music written by Billy Goldenberg for Busting is just great.  I was lucky enough to see him play the piano at the Savoy Theatre in London a few years ago, accompanying Bea Arthur of Golden Girls fame; pretty random maybe, but a nice memory of a fine composer.

Bruce, I also had that pink Goldenberg compilation CD-R, but I can't find it anymore. I think it was made and sent me by Mark Stevens??? Or 'vinylscrubber'?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Bruce, I also had that pink Goldenberg compilation CD-R, but I can't find it anymore. I think it was made and sent me by Mark Stevens??? Or 'vinylscrubber'?

That's the one! The other two also.

He used to be my friend😞

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

This board is like LADYHAWKE; just as everybody is waking, I'm going to bed.

G'nite.

Screenshot_2020-08-05-19-32-14~2.png

I set my clock so that I can quickly respond to " foreign" interference

😆

Screenshot_2020-08-06-15-12-04~2.png

20200806_150324.jpg

I'm a big fan of Goldenberg's ever since I grew up on his Columbo scores thanks to my father recording episodes off TV in the 80s. I made sure to ask Leonard Slatkin about conducting the Red Sky at Morning album for his friend, back when I recorded my very first Goldsmith Odyssey Interview (Slatkin was a mutual friend of both Goldsmith and Goldenberg, but I didn't think to ask him whether the two composers themselves had any relationship):
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/824863-odyssey-interviews-leonard-slatkin

Yavar

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

The chase music written by Billy Goldenberg for Busting is just great.  I was lucky enough to see him play the piano at the Savoy Theatre in London a few years ago, accompanying Bea Arthur of Golden Girls fame; pretty random maybe, but a nice memory of a fine composer.

I have this on reserve at the public library.

Unfortunately, our crazed Mayor has shut down all the branches !

She's acting like reopening would be akin to restarting CHERNOBYL and books are dangerous as plutonium!😵

Yavar, I definitely can hear Goldsmiths influence on BG.

His frequent use of echoplex , for example

Forty plus years on....

I still hear in my head songs he wrote for THE NAME OF THE GAME.

One was called " All those Old Familiar Faces" IIRC the episode concerned a person from Gene Barry's past who was stalking him.

Another song is " Cold Comfort Farm". I don't recall the episode title, but I believe the story had to do with a female heroin addict.

Maybe One OF you can dig up some vids.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m a huge fan of Mr Goldenberg’s work on the Columbo series. Ransom for a Deadman is fantastic. Does anyone know by chance if he used an electric harpsichord? I have been trying to identify the instrument he used quite a bit in those Columbo soundtracks, including at the start of Ransom for a Deadman, and some people have suggested it might be a Baldwin electric harpsichord. 

Also, my understanding is that not many of his soundtracks have been published, could anyone point me to where I can find more complete soundtracks besides Ransom for a Deadman on YouTube? Thanks! 

On 8/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, Omen II said:

The chase music written by Billy Goldenberg for Busting is just great.  I was lucky enough to see him play the piano at the Savoy Theatre in London a few years ago, accompanying Bea Arthur of Golden Girlsfame; pretty random maybe, but a nice memory of a fine composer

Finally got to see this.

Only the music made it bearable.

I think there is music on the soundtrack album not in the film.

Will hafta double check.