Omni Publishing releasing HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON -- trilogy -- by John Powell

Jay

Yes and really enjoyed following it through with the album. It makes you realise how difficult it is not only for the orchestra but also the conductor if they aren’t for the composer. I’m a pretty proficient pianist, songwriter and composer but the level of complexity at some moments is astonishing. Will have to go through it a number more times to pick up on more of the details. Not exactly a chore!

3B2B2EF4-09C5-4C4D-A40C-3818D43ABA8A.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It makes you realise how difficult it is not only for the orchestra but also the conductor if they aren’t for the composer

What does this sentence mean?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

What does this sentence mean?

Dammit, that's what comes of trying to write a reply on your phone and getting interrupted lol. I meant to say that it makes you realise how difficult it is for the players given how difficult some of the music is technically, but also the conductor, who has to be able to determine which lines to bring out at each point along the way. Especially challenging where the whole orchestra is playing at once - of course, there's the mockup to get an idea, but even to ensure the right level of nuance and balance must still be difficult on virtually zero rehearsal. Amazing how often that it's a few broad horn chords which are the main focus but look so innocuous written down when so many others are playing runs or arpeggio figures, but it's all just accompaniment and orchestral colour.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, they did "cheat" a bit by recording in sections to have full control of the mix later.

I rather wish he wouldn't do that, his music can stand up to being performed like contemporary symphonic music, albeit on a quite industrial scale, even if I guess it makes it easier for mixing in the film.

Scoring films is a collaborative process and that technique could be something the director of the film wanted more than he did

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Scoring films is a collaborative process and that technique could be something the director of the film wanted more than he did

Oh for sure. It's none the worse for this style of recording and I'm sure having a good level of control is useful as it means that one minor fuckup doesn't ruin an entire take for the full orchestra.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:49 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Yes and really enjoyed following it through with the album. It makes you realise how difficult it is not only for the orchestra but also the conductor if they aren’t for the composer. I’m a pretty proficient pianist, songwriter and composer but the level of complexity at some moments is astonishing. Will have to go through it a number more times to pick up on more of the details. Not exactly a chore!

3B2B2EF4-09C5-4C4D-A40C-3818D43ABA8A.jpeg

Yet....the quietest, simplest  moments such " Offering" are the most profound!

• 11 months later...

And HTTYD2 cover art is revealed, with a release date of Spring 2022

263273608_3015061398717142_1386551110010020102_n.jpg

Pre-order on January 4, 2022! The full score book of How to Train Your Dragon 2 is ready 🎵📖
Batu Sener at 5 Cat Studios and Timothy Rodier at Omni Music Publishing were hard at work in the past 4 months to get this book published!
Following the first How to Train Your Dragon’s full study score, the second film’s book will also have every single cue - as written for the film!
The book will release later in Spring 2022 along with “How to Train Your Dragon 2: Deluxe Edition” soundtrack album!

https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/posts/3015339682022647

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the europeans: Schott Music will have HTTYD 1 from Omni Music Publishing in stock beginning of May, so no need to pay these ridiculous shipping costs and taxes (shipping to Germany is free from 25€ and just 7,50€ to other european countries). More titles from Omni will be available in the future as well.

For now they only have Elfmans "Batman" https://en.schott-music.com/shop/batman-no557163.html

Shipping costs: https://en.schott-music.com/shop/customer-service

21 minutes ago, fommes said:

Great news. Would you know which other titles they're planning to get in stock?

The guy from Schott just mentioned 'Tangled' and 'HTTYD 1' are coming in early May and that they want to add more titles step by step.

I really want HTTYD 2... :sigh:

On 18/03/2022 at 1:34 PM, MaxTheHouseelf said:

For the europeans: Schott Music will have HTTYD 1 from Omni Music Publishing in stock beginning of May, so no need to pay these ridiculous shipping costs and taxes (shipping to Germany is free from 25€ and just 7,50€ to other european countries). More titles from Omni will be available in the future as well.

For now they only have Elfmans "Batman" https://en.schott-music.com/shop/batman-no557163.html

Shipping costs: https://en.schott-music.com/shop/customer-service

That's great news! I wanted to order HTTYD 1 + 2 a few days ago (from Italy) but the shipping cost for DHL was 85 USD, absolutely ridicolous, and the other options were even more expensive. I decided to wait, hoping for this to happen. So, I will just have to wait until May... I hope they will put in their store also all the scores by Goldsmith.

• 2 months later...
On 19/03/2022 at 5:52 PM, MaxTheHouseelf said:

The guy from Schott just mentioned 'Tangled' and 'HTTYD 1' are coming in early May and that they want to add more titles step by step.

I really want HTTYD 2... :sigh:

HTTYD 1 is finally available from the Schott website (not exactly "early" May, but here we are!). And HTTYD 2 is marked as "in preparation"!

6 minutes ago, Score said:

HTTYD 1 is finally available from the Schott website (not exactly "early" May, but here we are!). And HTTYD 2 is marked as "in preparation"!

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...

HTTYD2 Full Score from Omni Music Publishing is now available from Schott Music (no super expensive shipping costs anymore)!

https://www.schott-music.com/en/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-no561933.html

• 1 year later...

Coming soon!
5 Cat Studios & Omni Music Publishing proudly present the final score book of the “How to Train Your Dragon” trilogy: The Hidden World!
Pre-orders start on January 23. The full score book is available on February 23 🎶
Produced by Batu Sener & Tim Rodier

#johnpowell #scorebook #httyd @httydragon @batusener

image.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1r0tP-OxoO/

39 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I hadn't realized these scores are so popular that they would be released all 3 as sheet music scores.

They're some of the very best scores of the 2010s