Randy Edelman's GHOSTBUSTERS 2 (1989) - 2021 Sony premiere release

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm almost positive it's the only entirely unreleased blockbuster movie score.

Spider-Man 3 also wasn't officially released until this day, though many bootlegs exist. Coincidentally, both Spidey 3 and Ghostbusters 2 are Sony movies. 

49 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Spider-Man 3 also wasn't officially released until this day, though many bootlegs exist. Coincidentally, both Spidey 3 and Ghostbusters 2 are Sony movies. 

That's why he said "entirely".

Finally! That's awesome :D

I'll have to get hold of the film at some point and remind myself, but there are many parts, particularly during the final scenes in the museum, which always stuck out at me.

Hopefully Edelman and Sony make this a definitive release, unlike their Ghostbusters from a few years ago.  I don't mind if things are rearranged for listening, but I'd love it if everything was at least on there (if not C&C, maybe latter-day-Elfman-style - album program and "bonus tracks?").  I'd imagine that this will be "THE" release of this score in our lifetimes.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick question:

Was Bernstein asked back for GHOSTBUSTERS II, and, if not, why not?

From my understanding Bernstein was asked back, but turned it down because he was tired of scoring comedy films by that point. Edelman who had worked with Reitman on Twins the previous year got the job instead as result. 

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Hopefully Edelman and Sony make this a definitive release, unlike their Ghostbusters from a few years ago.  I don't mind if things are rearranged for listening, but I'd love it if everything was at least on there (if not C&C, maybe latter-day-Elfman-style - album program and "bonus tracks?").  I'd imagine that this will be "THE" release of this score in our lifetimes.

A quick skim through the film suggests it's not a very long score. It's got that late 80s style of almost all the dialogue scenes being unscored, and really only a handful of sections stand out amongst the rest. The key sections for me are essentially the Vigo material and the whole final sequence.

I don't connect with Bernstein's score to the first film, so I'm glad Edelman got the job. Despite his work being almost entirely (or entirely) synth, it doesn't seem to matter somehow.

Wonder why this isn't being handled by a speciality label?

40 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Wonder why this isn't being handled by a speciality label?

I suppose the studios are sick of them and want to see if they can make money off Ghostbusters fans themselves.

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

From my understanding Bernstein was asked back, but turned it down because he was tired of scoring comedy films by that point. Edelman who had worked with Reitman on Twins the previous year got the job instead as result. 

Exactly. From Richard Kraft's wonderful write-up of his relationship with Bernstein:

When he was offered GHOSTBUSTERS 2 Elmer told me, “I just can’t do it. I can’t do these any more. My heart’s just not in it.” Everyone was shocked that he would turn down such an obvious hit. “I’ve got to hold out for something else,” he said.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:20 AM, Edmilson said:

Did sessions from Spider-Man 3 leak at any point? 

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Did sessions from Spider-Man 3 leak at any point? 

I think so. I encountered bootlegs that claimed to be the sessions for all 3 Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies.

I wonder, with Sony suddenly interested in expanding scores on their own label, whether the likes of Memoirs of a Geisha or Tintin might be possible in the future? I guess Williams or Spielberg would need to lobby them to get the ball rolling.

That would be great since the labels can't afford the re-use fees for those.  Of course, maybe Sony wouldn't want to pay those fees either.  Who knows.  

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Ghostbusters is one of their cash cows.  I'm not sure the sales in a Geisha or Tintin release would float their boat.  All the same, I'd take it where I can get it.

I reckon Sony Masterworks would consider Williams scores jewels in their crown. Memoirs, especially, was treated as a prestige release at the time, with the input of Ma and Perlman. Heck, one of the leaked documents in the Sony hack explicitly named Williams as a talent that should be looked after.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

That would be great since the labels can't afford the re-use fees for those.  Of course, maybe Sony wouldn't want to pay those fees either.  Who knows.  

My thoughts exactly (the prohibitive licensing fees make these scores untouchable for smaller labels, but it's small change for the likes of Disney or Sony).

On 8/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Ok randy edelman, now onto dragonheart complete release!

That's Universal, not Sony. Just like Daylight, where half the music wasn't released.

28 minutes ago, FunnyML said:

That's Universal, not Sony. Just like Daylight, where half the music wasn't released.

Sony used to distribute Universal movies on DVD in Australia in the early 2000s.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm already worried it won't include the bits that use the melody from the Doug E. Fresh song because of licensing issues.

I just googled that, and it couldn't sound less like Edelman's score. Which bits are you referring to? I listened to the wrong version of the song.

4 hours ago, FunnyML said:

I just.meant that mr edelman doesnt do expansions very much...so he could try one of his best known works...

I'd have thought Edelman was better known for The Mask.

I also enjoy Six Days, Seven Nights, and bits of The Mummy 3, but I've never felt any more music was needed from either of those. (I wouldn't know what was missing from the latter.... the film looks terrible)

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I just googled that, and it couldn't sound less like Edelman's score. Which bits are you referring to?

Guess I'm the only one familiar with this score.

The cool synth melody heard right at the intro of the song appears in the movie score when they dig the hole and also when they come out of the tunnel.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:51 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Ok randy edelman, now onto dragonheart complete release!

I know I shouldn't ask this, but here goes😔

" Is there any significant cues " missing".

On 8/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Fancyarcher said:

From my understanding Bernstein was asked back, but turned it down because he was tired of scoring comedy films by that point.

That explains why he declined THE KING OF COMEDY

11 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Guess I'm the only one familiar with this score.

The cool synth melody heard right at the intro of the song appears in the movie score when they dig the hole and also when they come out of the tunnel.

I was listening to some extended version of the song on YouTube.

Heard the regular version and yes, I see exactly what you mean.

I just found the OSTs on spotify and noticed that Bernstein has two tracks on the first one, but Edelman doesn't have anything on the second. That's pretty rare for a blockbuster score isn't it? There's usually at least a track or a suite from the score.

The second also has a really dull album cover...

I love the OST for the second but it's always been the one score I've known for a blockbuster movie that's never been released at all, even illegally. Not one second of score has ever been released or leaked outside of the end credits.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah joy. This one actually made a bit of an impression on me when I was younger, as I always remembered the bit when they were firing up their proton packs in the courtroom. Seeing as I've gotten more familiar with Bernstein's work on the first film recently, I do wonder if that'll effect my opinion on Edelman's work once this releases. Either way, color me hyped!

I'll actually defend the album Sony made for the first score last year, since a lot of the tracks that were excised from the Varese album felt pretty redundant to me. As a presentation that Peter felt his father would've made, I think it worked rather nicely (even if I still made a custom album from both releases). If it's true that II doesn't have that much score as a whole, then perhaps it won't be missing anything.

As for all the Spidey 3 talk earlier: the only stuff that's truly missing are some cues and revisions of tracks from Young's end. We have everything from Lurie and Debney.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 9:43 PM, Jay said:

I checked this website today to see if there are any updates, and his website is now completely gone.  Looks like he forgot to pay the bill!

• 2 weeks later...

His website is back, but no longer lists Ghostbusters 2 as an upcoming release on the home page

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Z2THNGG
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08Z2THNGG
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08Z2THNGG
https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B08Z2THNGG

61qnparG93L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

SIDE A

1 A Few Friends Save Manhattan

2 A Baby Carriage Meets Heavy Traffic

3 Venkman’s 6th Ave. Strut

4 Order in the Court

5 He’s Got Carpathian Eyes

6 The Sensitive Side of Dana

7 In Liberty’s Shadow

SIDE B

1 Rooftop Broom Kidnap

2 The Scoleri Brothers

3 Oscar is Quietly Surrounded

4 A Slime Darkened Doorway

5 One Leaky Sewer Faucet

6 Vigo’s Last Stand

7 Good With Kids

8 Enlightenment

9 Family Portrait-Finale

• 5 weeks later...

Track list controversy doesn’t seem to have made it here, but maybe they made some judicious cuts to fit it on one LP and the CD will be complete?