Poll: what is your favorite James Horner score for an animation/kids movie?

Edmilson

JH's scores for children  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite James Horner score for an animation/family movie?

• Krull (1983)
    • Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
    • Cocoon (1985)
    • The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)
    • An American Tail (1986)
    • Project X (1987)
    • *batteries not included (1987)
    • Cocoon – The Return (1988)
    • The Land Before Time (1988)
    • Willow (1988)
    • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)
    • An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)
    • The Rocketeer (1991)
    • We’re Back! A Dinosaur’s Story (1993)
    • Hocus Pocus (1993)
    • Once Upon A Forest (1993)
    • The Pagemaster (1994)
    • Balto (1995)
    • Jumanji (1995)
    • Casper (1995)
    • Mighty Joe Young (1998)
    • How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
    • The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008)
    • The Karate Kid (2010)

Throughout his career, Horner scored dozens of movies for kids. Which one is your favorite score?

Disclaimer: I only choose movies that are explicitly made for children and their parents. PG-13 blockbusters such as The Mask of Zorro, Avatar and The Amazing Spider-Man weren't included, and neither films intended for adults (Troy, The Perfect Storm, Deep Impact, Braveheart, Titanic, Legends of the Fall...).

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think you created the wrong poll type, it's letting me pick multiple options instead of just one

Not at all. If you have 3 favorites, you can vote for all 3. And I guess everyone here is an adult, which means people won't just vote on all options just for trolling.

But if you guys want, I can modify the poll so that you can vote for just one option.

Score wise, my favorites are definitely The Rocketeer, then Willow, then Honey I Shrunk The Kids, then Jumanji

Film wise?  Out of all these films, I've only seen 8 of them (American Tail, Project X, batteries, Willow, Shrunk, Rocketeer, Jumanji, Casper)

Out of those, I've only revisited The Rocketeer as an adult, and it holds up and is awesome.  Well, I never saw American Tail or Casper as a kid, only as an adult, and they were OK.  I am curious what my adult self will think of Willow, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, and Jumanji.  I never really liked Project X or Batteries Not Included

I think what I am learning here is that I really need to see these animated movies and get to know their scores...

As I'm a relatively new James Horner fan, Willow and The Rocketeer are among my best discoveries so far (in that family theme).

Hmm, I think if you like The Rocketeer and Willow, the next Horner scores you are most likely to also like are Star Trek 2, Krull, Cocoon, and Apollo 13

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, I think if you like The Rocketeer and Willow, the next Horner scores you are most likely to also like are Star Trek 2, Krull, Cocoon, and Apollo 13

Star Trek 2 (expanded), Cocoon and Apollo 13 (expanded), I already own and love them very much!  Krull, your not the first one to suggest me that score, but the movie don't say anything to me, I think I never saw that.

My very basic James Horner Collection (for now!)

20200810_173504.jpg

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Star Trek 2 (expanded), Cocoon and Apollo 13 (expanded), I already own and love them very much!  Krull, your not the first one to suggest me that score, but the movie don't say anything to me, I think I never saw that.

I've never seen Krull either, maybe I never will, but the score is awesome

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

My very basic James Horner Collection (for now!)

The best Horner scores not in that picture are definitely Brainstorm, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Rocketeer, Sneakers, and The Amazing Spider-man

For me, WILLOW wins that list. But only barely. I also have tremendous love for AN AMERICAN TAIL, THE ROCKETEER and THE LAND BEFORE TIME.

I own all of the albums on the list, except for THE KARATE KID, and they all have values in some form or other. It's hard to go wrong with Horner, whichever way you put it. I like all of my 72 Horner albums, and feel like I still have a few to explore and cherish.

I am not sure why Hocus Pocus is on this list. So far as I know, he never recorded anything other than Come Little Children, which, while excellent, doesn't necessitate inclusion. Although, I would love nothing more than to find out there is a rejected score of this somewhere, because there is no doubt in my mind that he would have exceeded what Debney gave us. I am very fond of that film.

I guess someone could like that song enough to vote for it over an entire score, but considering those choices, I think they'd have to be nuts.

I find it difficult to compare life-action with animation, regardless of the nature of the films, because they have very different demands. Horner did score all these kinds of films very similarly though. Either way, in this case, it is no big deal to me because I think The Land Before Time is the most effective score on this list and an absolute banger on album.

An American Tail wins although there are plenty wonderful scores from Horner for kid's films. I'd argue he created sone of his best work in this department.

Karol

No. I had the 2CD KRULL for a while (acquired when I thought it was the only version available), but eventually sold it. I'm still searching to replace it (digitally, if necessary) with the Southern Cross single-CD OST.

And then I have the APOLLO 13 score-only promo. I don't know if that counts as an expansion.

It's not an expansion, it's the album Horner crafted and wanted to be released.  After he crafted it, the label decided to only use some of it combined with pop and rocks songs for the official OST.

This is why Intrada included it on the second disc of their Apollo 13 expansion, it's the first commercial release of the album Horner wanted people to hear.

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not an expansion, it's the album Horner crafted and wanted to be released. 

Yes, I know. But it's the closest I've got. I think we discussed this before, but I'm not sure what the quantity ratio is between the promo and the OST.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, I know. But it's the closest I've got. I think we discussed this before, but I'm not sure what the quantity ratio is between the promo and the OST.

No real reason to refer to it as a "promo" anymore since it's been commercially released

The album Horner wanted you to hear is 1 hour long.

The final commercial album combined 42 minutes from that with another 30 minutes of pop/rock songs and movie dialogue for a total of 72 minutes

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

No real reason to refer to it as a "promo" anymore since it's been commercially released.

Oh. Included on the expanded release, was it? I didn't know that (or must have forgotten it after it was announced; I tend to read expansion announcements with half an eye, and forget all about it immediately).

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh. Included on the expanded release, was it?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

This is why Intrada included it on the second disc of their Apollo 13 expansion, it's the first commercial release of the album Horner wanted people to hear.

• 1 month later...