Eiger Sanction: Due for a Remaster?

Andy

I'm sadly not very familiar with The Eiger Sanction.  It doesn't get mentioned much, so my guess is it's probably cut from the same cloth as Earthquake, but didn't qualify as a "disaster"movie to make the box set.

I can't stomach the eBay prices... How likely is this title to get a new spit shine from M.Matessino?  It is just been announced for a new blu ray release from Kino Lorber.

I’m glad to hear it’s a candidate for rerelease. It’s for some reason a score I keep forgetting about when I look at 1975-1984. 

2 minutes ago, Hedji said:

I’m glad to hear it’s a candidate for rerelease. It’s for some reason a score I keep forgetting about when I look at 1975-1984. 

The film is not very good.

It's NEVER mentioned in discussions of Eastwood's directing ouevre

I haven’t seen the film, but it lists Drive In Corman Queen Candice Rialson in the credits. Probably a bit part, but she’s a doll. 

Yes, if you go back far enough; 60s stuff and the like. Although now many of these have been cleaned-up well too, to sound as good as they can.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Iirc she goes FULL FRONTAL!😁

Stop.  Really?  I can't tell if you're kidding. :lol:

She's great in Pets and Hollywood Blvd.  And her lady parts literally have a speaking role in Chatterbox.

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

Stop.  Really?  I can't tell if you're kidding. :lol:

She's great in Pets and Hollywood Blvd.  And her lady parts literally have a speaking role in Chatterbox.

According to Mr.Skin she has a bit part.

I was thinking of another blonde actress who gets nekkid in the film.

Sorry to get your hopes up😞

:lol:  It's okay.  Her other filmography leaves little to the imagination.

So anyways... Yeah, filmmusic is right... Kino just announced the blu ray, so that was what made made me think of this score, which I rarely do.

I've had Eiger for a couple of years now, I bought it in 2014 for about a quarter of what the going rate is today. I thought it was expensive back then...

The music is jazzy and breezy. The score is mostly monothematic, but the main theme is great and it's fun to hear it in different arrangements. However, the meat of the score is in the cue Training With George. I can't go on enough about this track! It is one of my top 10 JW tracks of all time. I couldn't have imagined living without it, and not having it readily available in my collection, for the last 6 years.

It is amazing.

No, I think the reverb is gorgeous. A perfect reflection of the baroque jazz melancholy of the score. It's not a sound that is suited to a 'dry' environment. Same applies to something like Roy Budd's GET CARTER. The reverb is almost part of the composition itself.

If you want more of that, try TRAINING WITH GEORGE, and  GEORGE SETS THE PACE.

(edit TWG has been mentioned. Sorry)

3 hours ago, Thor said:

No, I think the reverb is gorgeous. A perfect reflection of the baroque jazz melancholy of the score. It's not a sound that is suited to a 'dry' environment. Same applies to something like Roy Budd's GET CARTER. The reverb is almost part of the composition itself.

Agreed. I still think it sounds fairly "dry", though.

Thor, do you think that the reverb is artificial? Compare it to EARTHQUAKE, THE TOWERING INFERNO, and it certainly sounds it.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thor, do you think that the reverb is artificial? Compare it to EARTHQUAKE, THE TOWERING INFERNO, and it certainly sounds it.

Yes, I think so. An intentional choice.

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Just listened to Jeff's episode about this score today. I had never heard of it before that. 

Sounds cool from the samples. Would love a new chance to listen to it.

As I've posted before, the entire OST is on YouTube.

• 2 months later...

So long as the scoring elements were preserved, the remaster should be revelatory when Mike works his magic. Earthquake sounded like it was recorded yesterday!

Not really familiar with the score, is the source music Williams composed?

Hopefully Mike's able to include everything. JW's a bit inconsistent with regards to allowing source music on expansions (but had no issue with the source music in the Disaster Box, and that was the same era).

• 3 months later...

Finally had a chance to watch this film and now I understand why this score is so desired! Not only for the unreleased film score, but just to hear what Mike could achieve with the audio quality.

So glad it's on his radar because the music is quite an eccentric mix of genres in the film. The film score would pair brilliantly with the OST. Pleasantly surprised that most of the jazzy source music works in tandem with the film score (like Earthquake) so I'm less concerned about source tracks being omitted from an expansion (maybe except the Chopin excerpt... though it would be nice to have, being so prominent in the film!)

But the prospect of Mike remastering the sound quality is exciting; the recording sounds terribly flat in film and on album. No idea if it's a bad recording or just the primitive mastering/film mixing from the 70s but surely it shouldn't sound this bad. Earthquake was recorded a year earlier and that remaster sounds like it was recorded yesterday! If Mike's able to achieve something similar with Eiger, it'll be revelatory.

BTW, the new Bluray master impressed me. Recommended for anyone who hasn't checked the film out. Yes, it's grainy as hell and dripping with film defects, but that's how a film from that era should look! Lots of great zoom lenses that reminded me of Kaminski's work on Munich, and overall the cinematography was very impressive.

And yes, the film itself is... problematic... but it's unfair to judge a 45 year old movie through the prism of modern standards.