Eiger Sanction: Due for a Remaster?

Andy

I actually like the dry 70s sound of the album. Not that I wouldn't be curious about a remaster, but it's no biggie as far as I'm concerned.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

I actually like the dry 70s sound of the album. Not that I wouldn't be curious about a remaster, but it's no biggie as far as I'm concerned.

Dry? It sounds so muddy, flat, indistinct and soupy... as if all the artificial reverb scrubbed detail from the recording. We must have very different interpretations of a 'dry' recording.

Anyway, I have no doubt Mike will improve the audio tenfold with a modern transfer of those elements (and fortunately it's Universal, who seem to preserve their analog elements properly, at least judging by Earthquake).

Well, I just don't think everything needs to sound juicy and crystal clear with contemporary standards all the time. THE EIGER SANCTION, with its baroque jazz melancholy typical of the era, is a score that in many ways benefits from the 70s sound. So yeah - we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I have no issue with the OST itself (it's a great listen actually), just the subpar audio quality.

It's just a product of its era, when recording & mastering technology was hamstrung by analogue processes that degraded with each generation. I doubt Williams would be thrilled with its sound by modern standards; it wouldn't reflect the actual recordings.

But I understand your point about the existing soundtrack sounding like something from the 70s, with its very analogue and dated sound quality. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved to sound as good as the recordings allow though; that is half the point of these restorations and remasters, after all.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But I understand your point about the existing soundtrack sounding like something from the 70s, because it certainly has that dated sound. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved to sound as good as the recordings allow though; that is half the point of these restorations and remasters, after all.

Some times, yes. Other times, not so much. I'm reminded of some of the Beach Boys restorations in recent years with each element pristinely preserved. Yes, they sound sparkling and in-your-face, but completely lack the warmth and soft dynamic range of the (IMO) superior original versions.

THE EIGER SANCTION is one of those scores where I would "dread" a remaster that took all of this away, but at the same time I'm curious about it. I would definitely have checked it out, were one ever released.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

THE EIGER SANCTION is one of those scores where I would "dread" a remaster that took all of this away, but at the same time I'm curious about it. I would definitely have checked it out, were one ever released.

The original OST will always be available for those who covet that analogue/70s sound, while Mike's eventual restoration will include the OST, likely reassembled using first-generation scoring sessions.

In any case, Mike's not the type of producer who drastically alters the artistic intent of a recording; he presents it as close to the recording as he can (which is ultimately what Williams signed off on in the recording booth).

There's a fine line between revisionism and restoration and fortunately he leans to the latter (though I imagine it's a balancing act, especially with elements that have deteriorated).

Yea The Eiger Sanction must be the production from the 70s from which Williams composed the most amount of music we don't have available to listen to outside the films themselves, right?

Most of his 70s scores have been released in complete form (barring source music and/or extremely minor bits and bobs)

The only ones that haven't are

1. 1970 Story of a Woman
  2. 1971 Fiddler o­n the Roof
  3. 1972 Images
  4. 1973 Cinderella Liberty
  5. 1974 The Sugarland Express
  6. 1975 The Eiger Sanction

I reckon The Eiger Sanction is certainly the longest of all those

Well out of the ones above that have a prior release(s), I have exactly zero of them 😂. So needless to say I would easily purchase a new release of any of those scores!

I would too!

I have the old Fiddler, Images, and Cinderella Liberty, but would have no qualms buying new and improved editions with more music and/or better sound quality

Story of a Woman and Sugarland Express have obviously never had any release

And Eiger is one album I didn't realize I wanted to own until after it was $50+ for a used copy!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember if I already ask, but if this score is expanded one day, do you think they'll include the Original Album on it? Compared to the score, is it redundant or not?

Thanks Jay, the OST was not documented as a re-recording in my disco. It's the first time someone confirm that info with me (I remember having asked before, few years ago in fact and it was unsure).

So you got access to "new" infos.. It means that... OMG! :o

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Thanks Jay, the OST was not documented as a re-recording in my disco. It's the first time someone confirm that info with me (I remember having asked before, few years ago in fact and it was unsure).

So you got access to "new" infos.. It means that... OMG! :o

On 8/10/2003 at 4:39 PM, Adam said:

Eiger Sanction is another example of his common practice during that time of re-recording the music for the soundtrack (or at least a healthy portion).

On 9/27/2006 at 4:35 PM, MrScratch said:

the album is a rerecording I believe, or at least some of it is

On 5/29/2011 at 6:53 PM, Omen II said:

The album is, like many others from that era, a rerecording that presents a pretty good overview of the score

People on this forum make this kind of "funny" things to me since I've created my website. :lick:

They "think" some infos are clear and well documented when sometimes they are not.

Anyway, I'm used to this and that's exactly why I created my website, to SHARE the information and to leave a trace.

;)

It might be controversial if any artificial reverb had been 'baked in' to the first-gen master tapes (i.e. added as the tracks were recorded, not in any subsequent mixing sessions). Since the edits to Superman had been done on the first-generation tapes, this isn't completely impossible. If that were the case, no-one would then be able to release the tracks in 'dry' form. I'm surprised there was any artificial reverb added at all - the fashion in the 70s was very much to record everything (esp. drums) as dry as possible - it then went to the other extreme in the 80s.

I love the Baroque Jazz feel of Eiger - it's one of my two must-haves if it ever gets the full proper re-release treatment (the other being Hook, obviously).

Hook and Eiger Sanction would make an amazing pair of 2021 expansions. Everything else would be ice on the cake. 

I think Eiger should be in safe hands with Universal. I sincerely hope that reverb isn't baked into the recordings either (or that Mike carries it across to the album remaster). The OST has such lousy sound quality and I suspect it's a result of whatever ancient technology they used to generate the reverb. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Hook and Eiger Sanction would make an amazing pair of 2021 expansions. Everything else would be ice on the cake. 

I think that's "icing" :lol:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I sincerely hope that reverb isn't baked into the recordings either (or that Mike carries it across to the album remaster). The OST has such lousy sound quality and I suspect it's a result of whatever ancient technology they used to generate the reverb. 

I've always liked the dry sound of THE EIGER SANCTION.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 1:54 AM, Thor said:

Well, I just don't think everything needs to sound juicy and crystal clear with contemporary standards all the time..

Right on, Thor!

Same with photographs and films.

Screenshot_2021-04-01-19-04-48~6.png