The BFG appreciation thread

Jurassic Shark

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

The BFG was a lovely movie and score. It’s a spiritual counterpart to Hook (or ever Potter 1), just as Tintin was to Raiders. As such, they’re entirely inessential, but it’s nice to see two masters revisit previous genres with some new tricks up their sleeves. If the movie was released in the 90’s (animation style notwithstanding - the score and storytelling I mean), it would be considered a classic.

It was released as animation. On DVD.

Just as boring.

Im not sure why SS was attracted to this LESSER Dahl story

Same goes for the dreadful TT.

Methinks he just wanted to explore motion capture tech.

Those films were so bad I skipped RPO ( plus video games hold no interest).

WH is the last score I loved

• 9 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 8:37 PM, mrbellamy said:

The point is that there was never a recorded Jurassic Park suite that featured the High Wire Stunt melody and which he later removed in concert lol

We're talking about this in the BFG suite on album which he's since nixed in performances

It does bum me out because it's my favorite of the score and one of my favorite JW themes of the decade. I don't know why he felt like cutting it, must just be one of those things where he felt like it was a spot he could tighten it up. Could be he just doesn't think it's interesting enough or interrupts the more propulsive whimsical stuff.

I could imagine that Williams left out that theme from the concert arragement because it is very similar to Song for World Peace. So, two different concert pieces with almost the same melody might confuse the audience. :blink:

The colorful orchestrations are the real highlight of this score. It has some decent themes and interesting little musical bits, but it reminds me a lot of Tintin in that it's nice, light, colorful music that doesn't really stick with me afterwards. 

This is the music of a sweet and brilliant old man (Williams, that is) capturing the innocence of childhood--not sure our jaded sardonic world (as seen even in most films for children) is capable of finding beauty in it.