SteveMc

Daria was a good and often great show!  I heard they're doing some sort of reboot.  I don't know how that character meshes with 2020 - that 1990s level of disaffectedness could clash with TikTok culture, I guess!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Daria was a good and often great show!  I heard they're doing some sort of reboot.  I don't know how that character meshes with 2020 - that 1990s level of disaffectedness could clash with TikTok culture, I guess!

It is kind of a reboot with a caveat.  The focus of the reboot will not be Daria, but Jodie, who seems to have been retroactively elevated to the status of best friend of Daria's.

It is true, Daria's unique brand of telling it like it as she sees it clashes with today's more sensitive environment.  But a lot of the stuff the show dealt with still feels remarkably relevant.  

https://deadline.com/2020/06/comedy-central-daria-spinoff-series-jodie-part-of-push-adult-animation-tracee-ellis-ross-1202963176/

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

No mention of Mike Judge having any connection to that Jodie spin-off show. Dude's maybe still too depressed to work after seeing Idiocracy come true.   

Judge created the Daria character for Beavis and Butthead, but had no direct involvement, it seems, in the spin-off TV series built around her.  Still, it bears the marks of his style of social observation.  

This Jodie spinoff, however,  seems more the almost always disappointing alliance between corporate need, nostalgia, and the need for contemporary socio-political relevance. 

I grew up watching and loving Beavis and Butthead as a kid (I was the perfect age for it, first saw them on Liquid Television when I was 12), but for whatever reason never watched any of Daria at all >shrug<

Judge is heavily involved in the B&B-H reboot on Comedy Central - writing, producing, and voicing, per the press release.  I don't think Judge had any formal involvement in Daria besides her first appearing on Beavis.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

I grew up watching and loving Beavis and Butthead as a kid (I was the perfect age for it, first saw them on Liquid Television when I was 12), but for whatever reason never watched any of Daria at all >shrug<

https://nerdist.com/article/daria-12-best-episodes/

If you care to remedy that, some episodes the creators look back on fondly.

I think the second movie was excellent too, although obviously it carried the baggage of the rest of the series.  I never watched this when it aired, but we watched it on DVD maybe 10 years ago.  I remember especially being surprised by and enjoying the mildly serialized stuff - like the fallout between Daria and Jane in the last few seasons.

Daria was really great. Epitomised the disenfranchised mood of the late 90’s/early 2000’s. The family dynamic was hilarious.

Can’t see that kind of dry and sardonic character working as well these days though, today’s kids are much more involved and wise to that kind of writing. Plus the mono-pop culture of the 20th Century no longer exists, making counter-culture characters and observations less effective.

I’d say “smart-arse outsider” isn’t really counter-cultural any more. Those characters and attitudes are a dime a dozen these days, often at the centre of pop-culture (Marvel films are full of them).

We’re living in a post-ironic world. Detachment and disillusionment have become mere tropes.

I couldn’t tell you really. I was just observing that detached and sardonic characters aren’t really counter cultural anymore because they’ve become mainstream tropes. You probably know as much as I do after that point. Once I hit my 30’s I seemed to magically stop understanding a lot of pop culture, or at least caring enough to investigate.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 4:57 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

So what is counter-culture these days, something like Alex Keaton?

Counter culture 2020 is pretending you're a brave minority while the whole mainstream has your back. 

• 2 months later...