New JW interview on Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German language)

TownerFan

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Really? I can't see them. Another 'run-of-the-mill' interview with general questions, and lo and behold - the SCHINDLER'S LIST story too.

But I'm surprised he decided to do an interview with a non-US publication. That's rare.

Als der Film zu Ende war, konnte ich gar nichts sagen. Ich stand auf und ging ein paar Minuten im Haus herum. Schließlich hatte ich mich gefasst. Und dann sagte ich: „Steven, für diesen Film brauchst du einen besseren Komponisten als mich.“ – „Ich weiß“, antwortete er, „aber die sind alle tot.“

He cannot resist! 

4 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

And it's neat that the first score he thinks to mention when the topic of singing comes up is Empire of the Sun, and the wordless choral writing at that

YES, loved that!

And there's the obvious but still quite skillful dodge of the political prompts the interviewer starts with. It's remarkable to me that, even at 88, Williams still rigorously retains 

:up::up::up::up:

Even if this were nothing but the old "but they're all dead" anecdotes, I'd still be grateful. It's 2020, he's 88, the world's on fire -- it's just wonderful to hear from him.

Yeah, I get that, but my bar is a little bit higher than that -- especially now that he's nearing the end of his life, and there's only so much time to get the real nuggets of information out of him before it's too late.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

In Germany, Jaws goes by the title "Weiße Hai"?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Der weiße Hai.

The Norwegian title translates to Shark Summer.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

In Hebrew its just "Jaws" (Meltaot).

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

In Spanish it's just "Shark" ("Tiburón").

French one is cringe-worthy: "Les Dents de la Mer" (The teeth of the sea) :lol:

I think expecting Williams to do a tell-all at his age and with his consistent outlook about the idea ("My life isn't interesting enough") is wishful thinking. But he's donated his old scores and has given his blessing for expanded CD releases so that's something. On the other hand he was happy to speak at length about Conrad Salinger a few months ago, so if someone really wants to get him to talk then asking him about his experiences with other people is the way to do it. I think any personal legacy he wants to leave behind can be found at the end:

We played a march from Berlioz and I noticed the boys couldn't do much with it. Then I played the march from "Superman" and everyone loved it. It is orchestrated very similarly. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to equate myself with Berlioz. But the kids knew the film, and remembering the film made it easy for them to follow the music. But when people come to the concert who don't even know the films and just want to hear the music, all the better. That flatters the composer's ego.

If they're playing Superman today, maybe they'll be interested in playing Berlioz tomorrow. Being able to open someone else's musical world like that seems like a great thrill to him, maybe most evident with the Children's Suite from Harry Potter (which I understand he recorded only by hoarding bits of spare session time, and which J.K. Rowling's people were wary of to some degree -- he didn't have to do that).

Williams certainly wouldn't want to equate himself with Berlioz, because Berlioz didn't write the Rákóczi March tune - only created an orchestral arrangement of it based on Beethoven's 8th symphony. ;)

30 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Williams certainly wouldn't want to equate himself with Berlioz, because Berlioz didn't write the Rákóczi March tune - only created a great orchestral arrangement. ;)

Just like Williams and the Superman love theme. ;) 

I like how even Williams knows not to talk about politics, just like our humble forum!

He didn't want to answer that question the way the interviewer wanted, and props to him, there's enough of political fluff from other celebrities.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

For someone who seems rather out of his usual element, the interviewer is asking some rather good questions. 

Seidl is a renowned (by now ancient) film critic and probably had no problem coming up with these questions.

Maybe JW isn't explicit to talk about politics, but this is very political in my opinion...

So you knew from the start that jazzy film music wasn't your style?

This is a straightforward question with no straightforward answer. I played jazz like most young American musicians did at the time, and it never made me entirely happy. But I had no plan, things developed, I followed my interests and inclinations. Much of what I have achieved in life is due to the fact that I was lucky. And so many gifted people have not been so lucky. Life is not always fair.

Loved that one, tbh. He's great, but because he had oportunities, was son of a musician living in Hollywood, and is totally aware of it. That's what I understand from 'lucky'.

Really liked the interview. Especially the last question! What do you think about it? Even though I would've liked to read something less vague from Williams, he settles a nice discussion for all of us. 

But when people come to the concert who don't even know the films and just want to hear the music, all the better. That flatters the composer's ego.

I think it's a very different experience. For example, I (as almost everyone) was always very amazed by The Four Seasons, and considered it a piece of sofisticated music, but when I learn about the sonetts I couldn't stop laughing with the idea of Vivaldi writing music thinking about people falling while running on ice. It's a whole new meaning! Same thing with soundtracks and William's job: you can have thousands of ideas about any theme he wrote, but you'll probably have another thousands after watching the picture and the music together.

12 hours ago, publicist said:
On 8/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

For someone who seems rather out of his usual element, the interviewer is asking some rather good questions. 

Seidl is a renowned (by now ancient) film critic and probably had no problem coming up with these questions.

Ah. But he may not be full versed in the realm of (film) music? I'm not familiar with him, it was just my impression when reading the interview - some non-standard questions (or non-standard ways of posing them) that yet didn't seem to be different from the usual ones in Williams on purpose.