How do you rate these newish recordings of the Star Wars Main Title?

Jurassic Shark

How do you rate these newish recordings of the Star Wars Main Title?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Dirk Brossé and the LPO

2. 2. Gavin Greenaway and the LSO

3. 3. John Williams and the VPO

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'll have to reconsider whether to purchase this album.

Trump really should use that when entering the podium!

but it's the rebel fanfare, he doesn't deserve that!

By the way, what do you think about this performance? This was my favourite live performance before:

The ending seems to be another arrangement. Listen to 5:20

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Apart from the unbearably shrill sound I'd say it's a good performance, although I'm not a fan of the conductor.

Yes, that is the problem with older youtube videos. The bitrate is quite low. It was also released on DVD in better quality.

I want the ANH  "end credit opening" Star Wars theme  in unreleased Lando Returns. Best orchestration ever of the main theme

On 8/19/2020 at 4:10 AM, Bellosh said:

I like how it uses the original A New Hope end titles 'ending fanfare', rather than the Return of the Jedi ending fanfare that is on most 'Main Title' recordings.

yeah I hate that it's shortened in all subsequent SW End Credits  and even re-recordings of the main title

1. LPO - 2/5

It's not a recording I listen to. Firstly, it sounds as if it was recorded in a smaller studio, and not a big hall. I miss that feeling of spaciousness. Secondly, it's way too fast. The orchestra is not taking the time to enjoy every note they're playing. Feels like they want to just get to the end ASAP and go home.

2. LSO - 4/5

No complaints here. Great spacial environment, great tempo, beautiful, emotional delivery. They haven't got the VPO horns, though.

3. VPO - 5/5

I've been listening to this one at least once a day for the past week. I like the slower tempo, which really allows the brass section to shine, and to really emphasize their power. I also think that Williams' ritenuti are better than Greenaway's.

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So far, there's a strong correlation between not attending the Vienna concerts and not rating the Vienna recording highly.

Fixed

I don't like how most concert recordings do a slow down before the first theme statement. I really want a recording that stays true to the films' tempo so I can replace it on TLJ so it can have its own fanfare.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why is the VPO getting so many votes?! Where's objectivity when you need it? How CAN you vote for that inexcusable trumpet problem at the start?

The five-stars are from people who attended the concert.

Nothing is perfect.  The VPO recording has one minor mistake, and it was quickly corrected.  Otherwise it's an absolutely outstanding performance.

54 minutes ago, Drew said:

I don't like how most concert recordings do a slow down before the first theme statement. I really want a recording that stays true to the films' tempo so I can replace it on TLJ so it can have its own fanfare.

I agree!  One of my favorite things about the original 1977 recording is how the fanfare steamrolls right into Luke's theme without any rallantando.  Kunzel's recording on Star Tracks with the Cincinnati Pops comes close, but unfortunately that doesn't have a clean opening (the preceding synth piece by Frank Proto leads directly into it).

8 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Nothing is perfect.  The VPO recording has one minor mistake, and it was quickly corrected.  Otherwise it's an absolutely outstanding performance.

It also has plenty of issues with slow tempi and weird tempo changes.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So? You didn't ask to vote on the concert and it was at the concert that they messed it up. It's really sad to see so many people love everything as long as JW is conducting.

Lol. Greenaways recording has no energy, is poorly mixed and sounds pretty lame overall. The original prequel recording with the LSO is much better than that. Please provide a YT-link to the actual Brossé recording.

21 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Please provide a YT-link to the actual Brossé recording.

This is the one we're talking about in this thread.

21 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Greenaways recording has no energy

At least it doesn't threaten to come to a halt like JW's Vienna recording.

Greenaway's recording is anything but poorly mixed and the performances are top-notch. Of course, the Episode 1 intro is still superior. As for Brossé… Oops, I voted for that one thinking of the RAH concert. Anyway, VPO still comes in last.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Greenaway's recording is anything but poorly mixed and the performances are top-notch.

Isn’t that the recording where the trumpeter plays a wrong note on the final chord?  Instead of finishing on a tonic G he (or she) plays a third higher?  That’s not in the score!!!!  Wahh wahh wahh!  😭 😭