what do you think of James Dean?

i'm more talking about the characters he's played and his movies (although only three) not so much the person himself. i know well enough of his odd (to say the least) escapades, rudeness to people, and urinating in public. I first saw his movie "Rebel without a Cause" a couple of months ago, and needless to say i was amazed by it. not long after, i saw "East of Eden" and "Giant" and was continued to be amazed by his explosive on screen performance, and his wide range of acting ability. any thougts?

~ Jason

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm more talking about the characters he's played and his movies (although only three) not so much the person himself. i know well enough of his odd (to say the least) escapades, rudeness to people, and urinating in public.  

well its hard to get pissed about some guy having to go! He was odd, and its sad the way he died, but its even more sad that his personal life is more important than his filmwork. He was a great actor, but the tabloids today would be all over him, wondering did he and Rock have an affair while filming Giant. My biggest question is why he was referred to as a teen idol, when he was older than a teen.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh I just watched Giant the other day. James Dean certainly very talented, although Taylor out did him in that movie, but Taylor is an actor's actor. I've seen his 3 movies. He seems to have good taste in music, as he suggested they use Leonard Rosenman for 2 of his films. :)

I've always wondered about him and Rock....

As far as I know, Dean and Hudson actually hated each other. They both liked Liz Taylor quite a bit and were always trying to impress her by showing the other person up while filming Giant, and neither one liked the other's acting style so I doubt that any romantic sparks flew between the two men.

He seems to have good taste in music, as he suggested they use Leonard Rosenman for 2 of his films.

I think I read that Rosenman was actually Dean's roommate in New York City before he moved to Hollywood. Dean remembered to suggest his old roomie from NYC when it came time to find someone to score his films.

East of Eden is my favorite of Dean's films. He was an amazing actor but it's hard to guess at what he might have accomplished had he lived. He had such an unhappy personal life that his run-ins with alcohol, sex, and drugs might have quickly destroyed his career, not unlike many other fine actors.

Dole