Top 10 unreleased Williams film cues as of August 2020

King Mark

Quite frankly, I am shocked. SHOCKED. That "Shawm" didn't make this list.

In actual commentary, I'd love to have "Rey Crashes the Party". We really need some good Star Wars expansions.

I’ll second the suggestions above and add some of my own:

From Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

1. “Discussing the Book”

2. “The Holy Grail”

From The Phantom Menace:

3. “After the Victory” (original version, assuming it was ever recorded)

From Attack of the Clones:

4. “Palpatine’s Plotting” (complete)

From Revenge of the Sith:

5. “Padme’s Visit” (complete)

From The Adventures of Tintin:

6. “Tub…Tub”

7. “TNT” (unsure if recorded)

From The Force Awakens:

8. “The Beam is Released”

From The Last Jedi:

9. “Escape” (complete)

From The Rise of Skywalker:

10. “Jumping the Chain” (or any of the original final confrontation cues)

@King Mark

Do you like Lando Arrives because of the orchestration of it or because it's the only time Luke's theme/Main titles have been used in full force in a scene.

I still haven't seen the movie but the clip is on YouTube and it does sound really nice.

Because of the orchestration. I played  a rip of it back to back with the ANH and Vienna performance of that section and it sounds far more heroic and glorious in Lando Returns. They might sound same-ish when you don't compare them directly.

and also the rest of the cue develops the main B theme in new and exciting ways

14 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Adding some more to the pile

1) Empire of the Sun, R15P2 "The Freedom March." [Not even confident that one was even recorded.]

What does The Freedom March sound like?  Is it another snare-piccolo march?

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

What does The Freedom March sound like?  Is it another snare-piccolo march?

It's a fairly substantial piece, judging from the sheet leaks. 58 measures, full orchestra with texted choir and everything. It's starts with some atmospheric synth/flute stuff but 13 measures in the march rhythm starts, and soon there's a chipper theme, unique to the cue AFAIK, in brass and voices. Kind of a companion piece to Exultate Justi.

It's not like a melody I'm haunted by or anything, and based on its absence from the La-La Land expanded release, my guess is it was never recorded.

59 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

It's a fairly substantial piece, judging from the sheet leaks. 58 measures, full orchestra with texted choir and everything. It's starts with some atmospheric synth/flute stuff but 13 measures in the march rhythm starts, and soon there's a chipper theme, unique to the cue AFAIK, in brass and voices. Kind of a companion piece to Exultate Justi.

It's not like a melody I'm haunted by or anything, and based on its absence from the La-La Land expanded release, my guess is it was never recorded.

Is the sheet music available anywhere?

My favorite John Williams cues we have CLEAN via FYCs, session leaks, bootlegs, dvd/blu special features, or video game rips.... but are not on official OST albums or expansions:

• 3M1 The Old Priest's Tale from Temple of Doom (thank you Lego game!)
  • 2M3/3M1 Sinister Visitors from Last Crusade
  • 3M2A The Holy Grail from Last Crusade
  • 6M2 Discussing The Book from Last Crusade
  • 12M2 The Penitent Man Will Pass from Last Crusade
  • 15M2 The End of Hook (complete) from Hook (the bit dialed out of the film that also is not on the LLL is one of my favorite moments in the entire score)
  • 14M2 The Burial Scene (without choir) from Schindler's List
  • 6M7 The Great Dual from The Phantom Menace
  • 6M10 Blowups and the Death of Darth Maul (full instrumentation) from The Phantom Menace
  • 5M1B Anakin Changes from Attack of the Clones {at least I think the video games have the entire cue, can't remember for sure}
  • 5M2 Smee's Funeral from Attack of the Clones {at least I think the video games have the entire cue, can't remember for sure}
  • 7M1 Dooku Vs Obi-Wan / 7m2 Yoda Strikes Back from Attack of the Clones {at least I think the video games have the entire cue, can't remember for sure}
  • 2M7 Indy Fights Back / 2m8 Indy's Great Escape / 2m8B A Ride Down Ben Burtt Boulevard / 2m8C Indy Versus The Russian / 2m9 Giving The Russian The Slip from Crystal Skull
  • 4M37 We're Not Dead Yet / 5m38 Andy's Full Nelson / 5m39 Irina's Great Blade  / 5m40 Mike Kahn Cooks (Complete) from Crystal Skull
  • 3M17 Capturing the Plane from Tintin
  • Trumpet Hymn from Lincoln
  • 3M26R You're Han Solo? from The Force Awakens (thank you Lego game!)
  • 5M47 Good Guys Shooting from The Force Awakens (FYC title: The Resistance)
  • 6M52 Eavesdropping from The Last Jedi (FYC title: Rey's Journey)
  • 7M67 Holdo's Resolve / 7M67A Important Scene from The Last Jedi
  • 1M20 Rey Training from The Rise of Skywalker (thank you DVD menu!)
  • 1M26 Lightspeed Skipping from The Rise of Skywalker (FYC title Falcon Flight... the greatest cue on an FYC but not the actual OST of all time?)
  • 7M08 Father Knows Best from The Rise of Skywalker (FYC title "Advice")
  • 7M21 Parents from The Rise of Skywalker (FYC title "Parents")
  • 7M32 Make The Sacrifice from The Rise of Skywalker (FYC title "Coming Together")

My favorite John Williams cues that we can hear in the film or special features or whatever else... but not cleanly

• 3M2 The Child Returns from Temple of Doom
  • 8M2 Moloram's Speech / 8m3 The Evil Potion from Temple of Doom
  • 11M3 (Rope Bridge Drums) from Temple of Doom
  • 9M4 Cornucopia (with film version take of the Insert) from Hook
  • 1M2 War In Krakozhia from The Terminal
  • 1M11 You Mean, the Poem? from Tintin
  • 1M13 Tub...Tub from Tintin
  • 4M31A Talking With Grandfather from The Force Awakens
  • 6M56D Ice Landing from The Force Awakens
  • 7M66 The Control Room And Ren In The Forest from The Force Awakens
  • 7M67 Rey vs. Ren from The Force Awakens
  • 0M6 Fathiers Charge! / 0M7 Crashing The Party (Complete) from The Last Jedi
  • 4M36 Luke and Rey from The Last Jedi (Caretaker Villager deleted scene amazing Rey's Theme)
  • 4M02 Rey's Incredible Hand from The Rise of Skywalker
  • 7M33 from The Rise of Skywalker (or whatever the right cue is for when Rey and Ren team up and fight guards together, AMAZING cue)
  • 7M36 Dunkirk from The Rise of Skywalker (Lando shows up cue)

My most wanted John Williams music we know about thanks to sheet music mockups but we haven't actually heard the recorded cue yet {in some cases the cue was never actually recorded}

• The beginning of 9M2 Willy In The Fryer from Temple of Doom (the end is still heard in the film)
  • 15M2 The Freedom March from Empire of the Sun
  • 1M1 Retribution from Amistad
  • Theme #3 from A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  • 7M3 Finale from Attack of the Clones (the section replaced by Imperial March in film & OST)
  • 1M1 Tintin from Tintin
  • 1M2 Tintin and Snowy from Tintin
  • 4M22A Working the Puzzle and Into the Desert from Tintin
  • The Eye of Bagghar from Tintin
  • The Unicorn Theme from Tintin
  • TNT from Tintin
  • 1M5 The Scavenger from The Force Awakens

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

3m2 The Child Returns from Temple of Doom

Do you think when MM eventually gets his hands on Temple of Doom, he'll combine the cues 'The Child Returns' and 'The Elephant Ride'?

I only ask because the ending of The Child Returns transitions into the the Elephant Ride so perfectly.  And I hate when cues abruptly end like that.  I can't picture that cue without The Elephant Ride with it.

Is this something MM can decide on his own?

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

7M30 More Action from The Rise of Skywalker (or whatever the right cue is for when Rey and Ren team up and fight guards together, AMAZING cue)

We don’t know for sure what that cue is yet. Probably 7M33 (since it immediately follows 7M32, at least in the final edit) and either “Hero Fight”, “The Last Fight”, or “Rey and Ren”.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

My most wanted John Williams music we know about thanks to sheet music mockups but we haven't actually heard the recorded cue yet

• 1M11 You Mean, the Poem? from Tintin
  • 1M13 Tub...Tub from Tintin

These two cues are both basically intact

in the film, give or take a microedit or two.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

TNT from Tintin

I initially assumed this was a film cue, but on closer inspection, seems like it may have been yet another main title candidate!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

3m1 The Old Priest's Tale from Temple of Doom (thank you Lego game!)

Is that from the extra level at the crocodile cliff?

1 hour ago, Jay said:
  • 3m2 The Child Returns from Temple of Doom
  • 8m2 Moloram's Speech & 8m3 The Evil Potion from Temple of Doom
  • 11m3 (Rope Bridge Drums) from Temple of Doom

We need these!!!

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

We need these!!!

Fortunately all 4 cues were in the partial sessions leak (wherever that originated) and are all perfectly clean.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:00 PM, Falstaft said:

1) Empire of the Sun, R15P2 "The Freedom March." [Not even confident that one was even recorded.]

I can confirm it was never recorded.

10) TROS ALL OF IT

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaas

17 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Do you think when MM eventually gets his hands on Temple of Doom, he'll combine the cues 'The Child Returns' and 'The Elephant Ride'?

I hope so!  I think so, too.

Is this something MM can decide on his own?

Absolutely.  He makes all the decisions about all his albums entirely.

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

We don’t know for sure what that cue is yet. Probably 7M33 (since it immediately follows 7M32, at least in the final edit) and either “Hero Fight”, “The Last Fight”, or “Rey and Ren”.

Thanks!

These two cues are both basically intact

in the film, give or take a microedit or two.

Yep, I had them in the wrong spot and moved them now

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is that from the extra level at the crocodile cliff?

I have no idea what level in the game that cue played during, but the file names in the game rip are TD_PANKOTSECRETS_B_QUITD_PANKOTSECRETS_A QUI

The Map Insert that is used in the film but isn't on the Concord is in MAP_TEMPLEOFDOOM

There's some of the 11m3 rope bridge music, including sections not used in the film, in TD_BATTLEONTHEBRIDGE_C_QUI and TD_BATTLEONTHEBRIDGE_D_QUI and TD_BATTLEONTHEBRIDGE_E_QUI

We need these!!!

Yaaaaaaaaas

I can confirm it ["The Freedom March" from EOTS] was never recorded.

Well that's a shame, but not a surprise given its absence from the La-La-Land album. Guess some industrious JWfan will just have to make a MIDI mock-up of it at some point. 

That original Finale for AotC must be awesome to hear with the real recording .I get chills just hearing the final few notes in the AotC music video

forgot Burial Scene with no choir. the one thing I wanted on the expanded edition

I don't really have a top ten, but here are some contenders:

• Anything from Revenge of the Sith - especially some cues in the latter half of the score.
  • Rey Training and the Team-Up cue from The Rise of Skywalker and pretty much all the unreleased music from the film.