'Your own' Ideal John Williams Concert Programe !

Amer

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's THE DANCE OF THE WITCHES.

Will. People. Get. It. Right???!!! :kaboom:

(good choice, though)

Incorrect. “Dance of the Witches” was just the name given for the end credits track of the OST. According to Williams’ own sketches it was simply called “End Credits”.

The concert arrangement that was adapted from the End Credits is called “Devil’s Dance”. There’s even three different versions of it - as far as I’m aware - all arranged by Williams and carrying the same title:

1. The full orchestral arrangement which was eventually published as part of the Hal Leonard John Williams Signature Series, and recorded by several different orchestras.

2. A piano and violin duet recorded by Gil Shaham.

3. The new arrangement for violin and orchestra recorded by Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter.

For my concert program, I chose number 1. It’s a banger.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's also a hard-to-find official 12-page solo piano arrangement, which is more advanced than most official piano arrangements of JW's music.

Oh wow really? I hadn’t heard of that, I should go looking for it.

edit: that was quick. It’s out of print but I ordered a scan from this website. Thanks for the tip @Jurassic Shark

31 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Oh wow really? I hadn’t heard of that, I should go looking for it.

edit: that was quick. It’s out of print but I ordered a scan from this website. Thanks for the tip @Jurassic Shark

No problem. That's where I purchased it as well, after @The Lost Folio told me about it.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

Incorrect.

Don't you "incorrect" me, you young whippersnapper!

It's on the vinyl, CD, and cassette OST as THE DANCE OF THE WITCHES, and that's what it shall stay as!

I bet you're the sort of person who calls ADVENTURES ON EARTH "ESCAPE/CHASE/GOODBYE" :pfft:

I weep for the future. 

Ok boomer. But we’re talking about two different pieces of music. Dance of the Witches is shorter and has a different opening and closing section.

Devil’s Dance is what Williams named the new arrangement. I’ve seen it in his own handwriting on his handwritten orchestral score, as well as the subsequently published ones, so that's what I'll call it.

On 8/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, Docteur Qui said:

For my concert program, I chose number 1. It’s a banger.

I heard that live at Williams 1998 London concerts - Not sure what a banger is, but yeah, it was a banger^

• 7 months later...

Just curious to see what everyone would choose, I would probably pick one-two cues from each franchise that I really like, but I would end it with Remembering Childhood, because IMO that’s the best piece of music he’s ever written.

My answer is easy: I would love to attend a concert where they play the final 15 minutes of ET as a concert piece instead of the Adventures on Earth concert arrangement.  NOT live-to-picture like Williams has done a few times, but on its own.  Really I just want that to be the standard concert version going forward for all orchestras.  I read and was sympathetic to @TownerFan's recent spirited defense of the choices JW made for the concert arrangement, but ultimately I will always think the film version is better in every way.

R-11539058-1569416460-8511.jpeg.jpg

1   Main Title & Overture From Heidi 2:26
2   Overture To Goodbye, Mr. Chips 4:05
3   Main Title From The Towering Inferno 6:14
4   Men Of The Yorktown March From Midway 5:00
5   Night Journeys From Dracula 5:52
6   Stargazers From E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 7:23
7   Devil's Dance From The Witches Of Eastwick 4:56
8   Theme From Sabrina 4:28
9   Reunion And FInale From Sleepers 5:28
10   Theme From The Patriot 8:13
11   Viktor's Tale From The Terminal 4:10
    Suite From Star Wars Episiode VII: The Force Awakens  
12   March Of The Resistance 2:24
13   Rey's Theme 2:54
14   Scherzo For X-Wings 2:18
15   The Jedi Steps 3:34
16   Finale 6:59

Here are the selections I'd include in my program:

First Part (aprox 50 min.)

1) The Lost World (as someone also chose, would be a powerful opening to the concert and a piece I'd love to listen being played live)

2) Journey To The Island from Jurassic Park (full film version)

3) Becoming A Gheisa

4) Epilogue from The Fury

5) To Scarborough from Dracula

6) Willie's Theme from Temple Of Doom (new concert arrangement - world premiere*)

7) The Firebolt and End Credits from Prisoner of Askaban

8) Theme from Angela Ashes

9) Man Against Beast from Jaws (film version with full statement of the Jaws theme)

Second Part (aprox. 40. min)

Selections from Star Wars:

1) The Asteroid Field (film version - so people would not miss the Darth Vader's theme on the concert)

2) Anakin's Dark Deeds from Episode 3

3) The Jedi Steps and Finale from Force Awakens

4) Schindler's Work Force

5) Superman Suite (The Planet Krypton introduction+Helicopter Sequence)

6) Theme from The Terminal

7) Adventure on Earth (full film version)

Encores:

1) We Wish You A Merry Christmass & End Title from Home Alone (specially if the concert is held in December)

2) The Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars (extended concert version)

On 4/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Star Wars.

I want a concert program where we watch the 3 original Star Wars, and for each movie a new composer conducts a new score they made up for the film, and then as a 12 hour encore, John Williams conducts his score for the first season of GoT while we watch GoT. The main purpose will be to burn Djawadi, but also those other 3 unknown composers. We also get spa messages and free entrées during the event.

Everyone is allowed to bring one tomato to throw at their least favorite conductor of the night. And any time a tomato is thrown at Williams, he turns around and catches it, and he and everyone bursts out laughing including the thrower. Williams squints his eyes and points his finger "Hahaha, you're a jokester" and everyone cracks up again at the hilarious joke! (I'm the one who throws a tomato at Williams and makes the funny joke. It's fancy sarcasm/humor only music nerds understand.)

Plus, about this time we need to take a bathroom break, so tomatoes basically act as pause buttons in this event.

I'm just answering the basic thread question. Next time don't ask for our ideal night, with fantastic sound-projecting canyon walls and a Williams orchestra with lots of champagne, and these wild things wouldn't naturally happen. Think before asking, am I right.

night-sky-over-upper.jpg

I haven't even gotten to the rest of the program, where news of urban civilization gets destroyed that night and we must tend to our Jedi wisdom by building a spaceship and populating a new planet. This planet must be capable of reproducing tomatoes, because that's the only food we have left.