Restored Isolated Score: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Holko

2 hours ago, Holko said:

(yes I know not all of it syncs up greatly but it's a vastly different approach anyway, who knows how the scene was originally, and the end is funny)

I wonder if that cue was inspired by a different ending to the mirror scene where Harry asks what Dumbledore sees in the mirror, and he says a new pair of socks.

It's a shame that so much music was dialed out in the last scene you posted, because it shows Williams's knack for scoring dialogue. But by that point there'd already been so much music and I think they wanted to avoid underscoring muggle scenes. Plus it makes the Dursleys more comically evil than was maybe intended.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

My best guess is when JW scored it it was a bigger montage with 4-5 scenes that was cut down to just 3

Maybe the situation is similar here as with The Stone (Three Note Loop) - JW simply copypasted his teaser music, and the sound editors themselves decided how to edit it. He might just not have enough time...

28 minutes ago, ragoz350 said:

Maybe the situation is similar here as with The Stone (Three Note Loop) - JW simply copypasted his teaser music, and the sound editors themselves decided how to edit it. He might just not have enough time...

Most of the cue has little to do with the Teaser, though.

3 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Totally off-topic, but you have an awesome signature.

On-topic: Thanks for your work, @Holko🤩

Ohhhh, I seem to have exceeded the free quota on MEGA (although this is the first time in my life I watch video on MEGA). I'll have to download it all...

UPD: Sorry, I thought the quota only applies to videos, not all files

UPD2: This turned out to be free limit 4GB/6hrs. Be careful.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Well... my best guess here is there was originally another couple Hogwarts establishing shots which were deemed unnecessary, and the cue went out with them.

I'm not sure about that since this movie doesn't use establishing shots very often just to pass time (there are two, maybe three instances; the sequel has plenty though). Usually it's the way it's cut now where even if the shot starts static, the action rolls in quickly. This was my approximation. But I'm a little doubtful that I got it right since the flutes obviously collide with Hermione.

12 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Ohhhh, I seem to have exceeded the free quota on MEGA (although this is the first time in my life I watch video on MEGA). I'll have to download it all...

UPD: Sorry, I thought the quota only applies to videos, not all files

UPD2: This turned out to be free limit 4GB/6hrs. Be careful.

Damn, I forgot about the limit. I've switched to 720p after seeing the first two batches were already over 3GB, may rerender those too to bring it down.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Now this is strange: a lot of it is the expected microedits (even if I have no clue what all could've gone in many of the empty places) but I had to make a significant cut between the face reveal and the fire, both being obvious sync points - I guess he monologued less originally?

The 180-degree turn at 2:02 was evidently added in later, since Wannberg or whoever looped music specifically for the duration of that shot. I guess Williams scored a cut where Voldemort didn't explain the unicorn blood.

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

The 180-degree turn at 2:02 was evidently added in later, since Wannberg or whoever looped music specifically for the duration of that shot. I guess Williams scored a cut where Voldemort didn't explain the unicorn blood.

Ah! It was a significant/good enough shot that I never even thought it'd have been taken out at one time or only shot later. Looking at fixing it now.

EDIT: simply removing the 180 shot does fix the timing but leaves us with a jumpcut from a Harry reaction shot to a Harry reaction shot. Probably originally there was another Voldy mirror shot they cut away to, then when the additional 180 shot was added they chose to extend the Harry shot instead of cutting from Voldy in the mirror to the 180 from Quirrell to Voldy. Showing him only in the mirror is kinda cool but maybe they thought it'd be harder for kids to grasp that he is actually on Quirrel's head and there was some additional exposition they could elaborate on, hence the new 180 shot. I guess for now I'll leave my video as is and here's the explanation for anyone to read too.

Be advised, it's still 7 or so GB and you can only access 4 at a time with a free MEGA account so plan to watch them in 2 sessions. Or 5!

29 minutes ago, Holko said:

Be advised, it's still 7 or so GB and you can only access 4 at a time with a free MEGA account so plan to watch them in 2 sessions. Or 5!

Not a problem with a VPN :P

Great videos though @Holko, very nicely done.

Would this be a Holko post without a full assessment with percentages?

Spoiler

1mA Logo - intact

1m1 The Prologue - microedited

1m3 Friendly Reptile - microedited

1m4 Don't Burn My Letter - microedited

1m5 Mail Delivery - microedited

2m1 The Beach and the Arrival of Hagrid - partially dialed out, microedited

2m2 You're a Wizard, Harry - partially dialed out, partially tracked over

2m4 Diagon Alley - partially tracked over

2m5 Harry Gets His Wand - intact

3m1 Hagrid's Flashback - partially dialed out

3m2 Platform 9 3/4 - microedited

3m3 Escaping Frog - microedited

3m4 Arrival at Hogwarts - microedited, partially looped

3m5 Entry Into the Great Hall - microedited

3m6 House Selection - microedited

4m1 The Banquet - microedited

4m2 Lonely First Night - wholly tracked over

4m3 Mail Drop - microedited, out of sync

4m4 Mr. Longbottom Flies - microedited, partially dialed out, partially looped

4m5 The Moving Stairs - microedited, out of sync

4m6 It's Guarding Something - wholly dialed out, reused later as tracking

4m7 Introduction to Quidditch - partially looped

5m1 Hermione's Feather - intact

5m1X Troll in the Dungeon - wholly dialed out, partially reused as tracking

5m2 Fighting the Troll - microedited

5m3 Nimbus 2000 - intact

5m4pt1 Let the Games Begin - partially looped

5m4pt2 The Scoring Begins - intact

5m4pt3 Slytherin Scores - partially looped

5m4pt4 Harry's Great Victory - microedited

6m1 Hagrid's Christmas Tree - intact

6m2 Christmas Morning - microedited

6m2A The Library Scene - microedited, partially tracked over, looped

6m3 Dumbledore's Advice - partially dialed out

6m4alt Hedwig's Time Transition - intact

6m5R Hermione's Reading - intact

6m6 The Norwegian Ridgeback - intact

7m1 Filch's Fond Remembrance - partially dialed out

7m2 The Blue Forest - partially looped, microedited, partially dialed out

7m3 Three Note Loop - only partially used

7m4 Running to McGonagall - intact

7m7 In the Vinesnakes - partially dialed out

7m8 The Flying Keys - intact

8m1 The Chess Board - microedited

8m2 The Game Begins - microedited

8m3 Checkmate - microedited

8m4 The Mirror Scene - microedited

8m5 Love, Harry - intact

9m1 Gryffindor Wins - intact

9m2 Leaving Hogwarts - intact

So: 50 cues in the "score proper", 14 of those intact in the movie as intended, that's 28% of the cues unaltered. wow.

I just now realized that the Hogwarts leitmotive was supposed to be present in 5 scenes, but was cut out in three of them. Maybe Columbus wanted this theme to be associated specifically with Gryffindor... He only left it in "House Selection/Banquet" and Quidditch scenes. And in "Lonely First Night", the music may have been tracked over just to "remove" the Hogwarts theme...

Yea I always thought of it as a Gryffindor theme, based on how it was used in the final film.  It was interesting to get the whole score and realize JW never thought of it that way

Yeah he definitely intended it as a more general Hogwarts theme. In CoS he uses Hedwig in more warm and calm ways in places, wonder if he would've just kept HF going had it not been half-rejected by the time the first movie got finished.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

In the process of moving all my iso score videos from throwaway accounts to my main Drive, I already redid Black Sunday and Presumed Innocent, but those were 1:1 recreations with a better video source, I just matched the cuts and ended up with the same videos. Here I just wasn't satisfied with things I originally did, the way I split the video, synced up parts, etc, so I just redid the whole thing from scratch, and added new things while I was at it. And it was incredibly fun!

Wow, what an update, now even with trailers!

By the way, I've wanted to point out a little detail for a long time, but had forgotten: in the sheet score of the 6M2A The Library Scene cue, there's no sustain note at the end. Apparently, JW wanted to take a abrupt pause (when Harry and Ron stop), and start the next cue ~20 seconds later. Perhaps that's why there's a pretty short distance between these cues.

Spoiler

The end of 6M2A The Library Scene cue:

image.png

On 21/08/2020 at 7:34 AM, Holko said:

3M4 Arrival at Hogwarts - Funnily enough, this is the cue they single out in the documentaries where they wanted to cut down the footage but JW was just too good to cut down. Well I had to extend it and shuffle some shots around to fit well enough.

Which is the documentary where I can see where they say they couldn't cut down JW.

On 26/08/2020 at 4:58 AM, JohnnyD said:

This is great. I always love an opportunity to see films the Maestro has done the music to with nothing but the music.

This score in particular is such a theatrical experience. It's wall-to-wall music which is unheard of these days; operatic in scope and storytelling. You can listen to the complete score from start to finish without any pictures and know what's happening beat by beat and not miss a thing - something I do at least once a year. 

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Thanks for sharing! I think "Arrival at Hogwarts" is my favourite scored moment from any film. It's legitimately awe-inspiring, and gives me chills whenever I hear it.