Editing the metadata for “JW in Vienna”

Bayesian

Did you edit the artist metadata for “JW in Vienna”?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• John Williams/Wiener Philharmoniker
    • John Williams/Vienna Philharmonic
    • Some other edit
    • Who cares?? I left it alone

I finally ripped my copy of JW in Vienna into my library last night. I’ll save my effusive comments about the performances for another thread, but here I wonder, how did you change the artist metadata for that album, if you changed it at all?

I had to change it in mine so that it read “John Williams/Wiener Philharmoniker.” It gives me an immense joy to see those two artists’ names side by side, knowing that elsewhere in my library I’ve got plenty of Wiener Philharmoniker next to illustrious names like Kleiber, Abbado, Karajan, Rattle, etc. (And calling it the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, as Gracenote does, sounds just wrong, so wrong, to my ears.)

I'm not going to order this untill October, when the Blu-ray is released alongside the CD, but I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to import it to my computer. It doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I need to have it in iTunes somehow. It will then be marked as "John Williams" in 'Artist', 'Album artist' and 'Composer', and the album name will be something like "John Williams in Vienna", as it's called. There will be no mention of the Wiener Philharmoniker. It's all apparent in the cover.

I also got the nice feeling after seeing Williams and the Philharmoniker together. :)

I don't do metadata, but my file naming looks like this:

John Williams - Title of the Piece - JW & VPO 2020

or

John Williams - Title of the Piece - JW & VPO ft. Anne-Sophie Mutter 2020

This is my standard formula for anything that has a composer and performers - even for songs, unless a 3 minute jingle has 5 composers, in which case I would write something like "half of USA" in the composer field. Famous conductors and orchestras are marked as briefly as possible to avoid long track titles. Special performers, such as soloists, are not subject to that.

And Williams is the only one who gets to be marked with initials :john:

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm not going to order this untill October, when the Blu-ray is released alongside the CD, but I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to import it to my computer. It doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I need to have it in iTunes somehow. It will then be marked as "John Williams" in 'Artist', 'Album artist' and 'Composer', and the album name will be something like "John Williams in Vienna", as it's called. There will be no mention of the Wiener Philharmoniker. It's all apparent in the cover.

I do the same thing with JW being the sole name under Album artist and Composer. My obsessive tendencies, though, require I put in the full data for Artist, track by track.  

11 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

This is my standard formula for anything that has a composer and performers - even for songs, unless a 3 minute jingle has 5 composers, in which case I would write something like "half of USA" in the composer field.

It’s kinda crazy, isn’t it, how that works these days? Like if you write a string bed or something, that’s enough to get song credit. 🙄

10 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I do the same thing with JW being the sole name under Album artist and Composer. My obsessive tendencies, though, require I put in the full data for Artist, track by track.

I can understand that, but I need to have it all nice and tidy in my iTunes. That means John Williams is credited in all fields for a great many albums where his role is not necessarily at the forefront.

41 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I am totally unclear of the concept!😳

If you have a music library on your computer, each track (or “song”) has information about the artist, release date, and so on. This “data about the data[the actual music]” is called metadata and it can be edited. That’s all there is to it!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I put the CD/BR album on my especially designed shelf. If I want to listen to the album on the go, I have it on Spotify.

52 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

If you have a music library on your computer, each track (or “song”) has information about the artist, release date, and so on. This “data about the data[the actual music]” is called metadata and it can be edited. That’s all there is to it!

Screenshot_2020-08-13-14-37-53.png

Ideally, I'd put the performers in the "artist" tag and the composer in "composer". But unfortunately, the ID3 system, and even more most software using it, seems to have been created mostly by people unfamiliar with the concept of music being first written by a composer and then performed by different artists, so usually "artist" means composer and writer and performer at the same time. My player software even has a feature where I could define that for certain genres, the albums are filed under the composer instead of the artist for regular sorting, but unfortunately, I've never been very careful with genre tagging, and I'm not going to re-tag 800GBs worth of music. It would probably cause problems with most other software anyway.

So I usually put the "musician(s) of primary import" in the artist tag, and sometimes fill in composer and performer tags as well when relevant. For works of which I have (or expect to have) multiple recordings (mainly classical), I often put the important performers (usually conductor or primary soloist) in parantheses in the title; sometimes also the year (especially when I have multiple recordings by the same performer). For soundtrack re-releases and expansions, I also put the label or "complete" or "expanded" in the title, unless it's the only version I have.

None of this is relevant for the Williams concert, because Williams as the artist and the correct title ("John Williams in Vienna" and "John Williams Live in Vienna", respectively) is perfectly sufficient.

For classical recordings, I used to put the full roster of performres in the "comments" tag, but stopped doing that years ago when (I think) my ripping software started having problems with it. I never resumed doing that, which is unfortunate, because it means I can't search for individual performers in my collection.

When it comes to orchestral classical recordings, the usual way I put things into iTunes is the following: "[Orchestra] & [Conductor]"; if there is a soloist then "[Soloist], [Orchestra] & [Conductor]." I try to use the original language name of the orchestra when possible/readable. So, "Berliner Philharmoniker," "Wiener Philharmoniker," etc. It is easier this way rather than translate everything to English. I used to do that, but then ran into some orchestras whose names are seemingly never anglicized for one reason or another, even when being spoken of in English publications. So it was weird to do it for some but not for others.

I always put the soloist in the Artist field at the track level, but only at the Album Artist level if he/she is the main star of the show and features in more than just a couple numbers. Say for instance, a CD featuring one soloist doing a warhorse concerto or something, where that work is the highlight. So even though ASM features on the album, she is only actually on two tracks; therefore my Album Artist for this release is "Wiener Philharmoniker & John Williams." At the track level, the two tracks featuring ASM are entered as "Anne-Sophie Mutter, Wiener Philharmoniker & John Williams."

38 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I do the same thing but Conductor & Soloist & Orchestra, if all three are necessary.

Me too, but exactly as @Tydirium does. It makes more sense to me that the conductor is placed directly ahead of the orchestra he/she is conducting. 

17 hours ago, rough cut said:

What are actually the upcoming editions?

Wait - there's something coming out beyond the 2 disc CD/Blu-Ray we already have?

On 8/16/2020 at 7:17 PM, UK_Tubist said:

There also seems to be a further product coming in December with catalogue number 4839156, which as far as I can tell is just a jewel-case version of the current digipak single CD release. 

No, not really.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, GlastoEls said:

Wait - there's something coming out beyond the 2 disc CD/Blu-Ray we already have?

On 8/25/2020 at 5:09 PM, Bespin said:

"METADATA"?

Do you mean "TAGS"?

On 8/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, Bayesian said:

• 2 weeks later...

Idiots feeding the information to Gracenote with iTunes be like: "Vienna Philharmonic/John Williams/John Williams (b. 1932)/Williams, John/JOHN TOWNER WILLIAMS/John Williams, cond."

I always use just the orchestra name in the artist area and put the composer in the composer area.