Jerry Goldsmith Complete Motion Picture Discography

Brundlefly

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

51  10  The Other   1972    [no release yet]

A 22 minute suite was included on Varese's Mephisto Waltz. And 3 tracks on Varese's Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box set.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

58  17  S*P*Y*S 1974    [no release yet]

9 tracks in the Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A 22 minute suite was included on Varese's Mephisto Waltz. And 3 tracks on Varese's Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box set.

9 tracks in the Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box.

I know that, but as far as proper releases of exclusively these scores go, it doesn't really count in my book. Still, a note could be added for these cases.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I know that, but as far as proper releases of exclusively these scores go, it doesn't really count in my book. Still, a note could be added for these cases.

I don't know how long the full score for these are. But at least in the the case of S*P*Y*S, my impression is that Varese would have created a similar programme for a standalone release (i.e. decoupled from the Box), paired with another score, like they did for several others from the 60s and 70s.

Btw, what do asterisks next to the label signify?

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What denotes whether a release is “proper”, in your book? I find nothing improper about the Varese Goldsmith at Fox box. Are the Rozsa scores that are only available in the FSM Rozsa at MGM box also improperly released to you? How many scores being lumped together on one release makes them improper? ;) I assume the recent LLL Paramount Westerns set is improper? Is the FSM Goldsmith three-fer of Hawkins/Winter Kill/Babe improper? You seem to be okay with their release of Coma, even though it was paired with two non-Goldsmith scores... you seem to be counting Intrada’s releases of Von Ryan’s Express/The Detective and Shock Treatment/Fate Is the Hunter even though they are pairings like the Varese Mephisto Waltz/The Other...

I think if it’s been legally, commercially released it should count. Make it consistent, ya know? In any case saying “no release yet” is certainly incorrect.

FWIW, S*P*Y*S seems to be about two thirds complete on the Fox Box. The Other is just a little over half the score on album, though.

Yavar

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is a comprehensive list of all movies that were scored by Jerry Goldsmith and destined for the big screen in chronological order.

I didn't include TV movies, TV-series or the two mini-series (QB VII and Masada).

You should at least include the miniseries and TV movies! Technically, you already included The Man, which is a TV movie apparently released theatrically in certain places outside of the United States (much like the Jane Eyre that John Williams scored). Yet you omitted The Red Pony, which was on TV in the States but similarly released theatrically in a few other places.

But all of Jerry's miniseries and TV movies are not that complicated to include (no worries about "what episodes did he score?" or anything), they are feature-length works, and most of them have been released so it'd be helpful to have them in this impressive table... I'm happy to help out, info wise, if you like.

Speaking of which... The Crimebusters was a theatrical film release which was edited from episodes of the Cain's Hundred TV show that Jerry wrote the theme and several episode scores for. I don't believe he did any additional scoring for the film, and I kinda doubt they even re-recorded his TV show cues...as happened for some of his music on the similar Man from U.N.C.L.E. movies a couple years later, which FSM did release on this album:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/372/Spy-With-My-Face-The-Man-From-U.N.C.L.E.-Movies-The/

Cain's Hundred has been released (great album), so technically the score to The Crimebusters has had a release too:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/429/

Yavar

23 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You should at least include the miniseries and TV movies!

I knew that you would say that, but in order to keep it more overseeable I deliberately excluded everything that was not designed for the big screen. Naturally, there is plenty of non-cinema material that is worth checking out, however, a list of 170 films is already a great bunch of stuff to overview, especially for new fans and collectors. I will eventually create a seperate list called "Jerry Goldsmith Complete Television Discography" and would be happy to accept your help.

But all of Jerry's miniseries and TV movies are not that complicated to include (no worries about "what episodes did he score?" or anything), they are feature-length works, and most of them have been released so it'd be helpful to have them in this impressive table... I'm happy to help out, info wise, if you like.

Thank you for that piece of information! So strictly speaking, The Man belongs to the television discography.

Speaking of which... The Crimebusters was a theatrical film release which was edited from episodes of the Cain's Hundred TV show that Jerry wrote the theme and several episode scores for. I don't believe he did any additional scoring for the film, and I kinda doubt they even re-recorded his TV show cues.

Okay, so that's another case à la The Last Hard Men. No new music means no entry on the list.

Cain's Hundred has been released (great album), so technically the score to The Crimebusters has had a release too:

The more I get to know Jerry's early scores, the more I realize how many essential expansions and premieres Film Score Monthly did back in the day!

On 8/24/2020 at 6:23 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

What denotes whether a release is “proper”, in your book? I find nothing improper about the Varese Goldsmith at Fox box.

I wasn't thinking of a short suite or two to three highlights in a compilation set as proper release of a score. I'm not talking about the number of other scores that are on the set, but of how much of the score is presented there. But when I come to think about it, nine tracks for S*P*Y*S is definitely worth noting and it can't be wrong to note that there's a 22-minute suite of The Others available too.

EDIT: I updated the main post accordingly and added the type of release.

@Jay, any idea how to delete the empty space under my main post?

I've seen that happen before here and I think it has to do with   appearing outside of td / td tags, but I don't know how to fix it

There's some really funny stuff going on with the tabs in the post, too, that messes up the quoting system. Perhaps it would be easier to link to a Google Sheet or something similar?

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

tabs?

ASCII 0x9 horizontal tabs. At least when copying to the clipboard, much of the horizontal space between columns in the original post seems to be made from tabs. I'm not sure if those were the problem, or possibly some other non-printable characters in between, but I had to copy the table to my text editor and edit it there to get the two short quotes in my original reply.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I had to copy the table to my text editor and edit it there to get the two short quotes in my original reply.

There's actually an easier way to do that, and it works on desktop or on mobile

Just highlight the one row in his table you wanted to quote, and a new little text box that says "quote selection" will pop up that you can click, and it will put a quote box in your reply with only that inside it.  Then repeat again for any other part of the post you want to reply to with a quote

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's actually an easier way to do that, and it works on desktop or on mobile

True, but good to now for those who weren't aware of it (I wasn't for a long time).

And it probably would have helped in this case, but I'm too used to manually whittle down longer posts when I want to quote more than one bit from them. In any case, my point was that something in the original post seems to mess with the board's DOM handling in edit mode.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd like to see you create a JG discography.

You'd get as far as Star Trek:TMP 2-disc (1999), oh shit! It's the wrong one!

Technically, this here isn't even a discography which is defined as "the study and cataloging of published sound recordings". It's more of a collector's or completist's guide.

I was surprised to see that there are only four motion picture scores that are still completely unreleased: Black Patch, Face of a Fugitive, Shamus and The Public Eye.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You'd get as far as Star Trek:TMP 2-disc (1999), oh shit! It's the wrong one!

Tell that to Bespin#

Ahahaj!😅

I can't believe Moradi didnt start this thread.

Yavar or bust!😉

7 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I've seen 63 of those listed movies.

Interesting idea!

Looks like 33 for me

I count 69 seen myself. A tremendous amount I haven't seen, especially the early stuff. The most embarassing "hole" is perhaps PATTON.

Saw probably about 150, and was embarrassed for JG in case of probably 80. Patton is a good movie - I mean, you have to be a bit into American militaristic stuff to dig it - and the whole battleground sequence where Patton reminisces about ancient warriors is a contender for best musical reflection of a character's mental state. 

Yes, I've had the soundtrack for, like, forever (the 90s re-recording), and it would be intriguing to finally hear it in context.

Out of the 78 pre-Alien scores on this list, I've only seen 4 (Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, The Omen)

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Out of the 78 pre-Alien scores on this list, I've only seen 4 (Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, The Omen)

I've seen about 51 I think. I *think* I saw Lonely Are the Brave once, which would make it my first, and Planet of the Apes #4, with The Prize and The Blue Max in between.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Cassandra Crossing ran on German tv stations countless times in the 80's.

I (luckily) only saw it in the late 90s on MGM , i.e. undubbed. I remember liking it, despite its camp factor. Outstanding score, too.

So far, I've only seen 14, four of which being pre-Alien: Planet of the Apes, Patton, Chinatown, The Omen, Alien, Star Trek TMP, Poltergeist, Total Recall, Gremlins 2, L.A. Confidential, Mulan, Small Soldiers, The Mummy and Looney Tunes: Back in Action. That's about 8% of Jerry's complete filmography.

Oh, and I watched bits and pieces of Hollow Man on the TV, but never the whole thing

• 2 weeks later...

"Looney Tunes: Back into action", "Air Force One Expanded", "The Blue Max Complete", "Star Trek: First Contact", "The Wind and The Lion 2CD" are in the mail.. and I try to buy all the physical CDs when they are available... So this is what my "brand new" basic Jerry Goldsmith collection looks like.

Is it that bad?

image.png

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The only confusing thing is why you'd precede the names of his scores with the year some expansion came out instead of the year the film did

I'm not surprised, since it's basically as confusing as his JW discography. But I'm sure that in Bespin's head, it all makes perfect sense.

28 minutes ago, Kühni said:

I find the inconsistency in having the folder show artwork or not maddening. MADDENING, I SAY!

Same here. I always prefer list view.

goldsmith.jpg

22 hours ago, Jay said:

The only confusing thing is why you'd precede the names of his scores with the year some expansion came out instead of the year the film did

Great sense of observation Jay!

54 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

@Yavar Moradi, have you spotted any mistakes "Type of Release" section or does any feature film that is missing on this list come to mind?

Haven’t had a chance to thoroughly go through it yet I’m afraid. I did notice a few things I would change but thought I should just present all suggestions at once.

Yavar

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine they would have bothered to change the master Lukas turned in but I have no personal experience

Well I asked for an expert!!! I saw the program was the same, but I always wonder about the sound!