Anybody else got several expanded soundtracks lying around that you haven't had enough time/interest to listen to yet?

Jurassic Shark

I try to have as few expanded releases in my collection as humanly possible, but I have a long list of digital titles that were either C&C or overlong to begin with, and I need to whittle them down to something that makes at least a little bit sense from a listening perspective. I don't feel like listening to them untill I'm ready to 'playlist the hell' out of them. So when I get the time and energy, these are some of the titles I need to tackle (list hasn't been updated in a while, so there are more titles to add):

EARTH - ONE AMAZING DAY (Alex Heffes)
COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY (Silvestri)
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (Newman)
HOW THE WEST WAS WON (Newman)
30 DEGRESS IN FEBRUARY (Söderström & Berthling)
A LATE QUARTET (Badalamenti)
NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON (Focks)
THE TOUCH (Poledouris)
OUTLANDER: SEASON 2 (McCreary)
OLSENBANDEN (Bjerre, box)
FAR CRY IV (Martinez)
THE MAN FROM UNCLE (Pemberton)
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (Elfman/Tyler)
FIELD OF LOST SHOES (Wiedmann)
FROZEN PLANET (Fenton)
LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE (Delerue)
A NIGHTINGALE FALLING (Stewart)
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Zimmer)
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Zimmer)
BEVERLY HILLS COP 1 + 2 (Faltermeyer)
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (Horner)
WILD SALOMÉ (Beal)
THE BLUE MAX (Goldsmith)
RAMBO III (Goldsmith)
BORDERLANDS: THE PRE-SEQUEL (Kyd)
THE GOLDEN CHILD (Colombier)
THE YOUNG MESSIAH (Debney)
LOST RIVER (Jewel) -- already whittled, but needs more whittling. It's at 1h22min now.
MOANA (Mancina)
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (Jarre)
JOHN CARTER (Giacchinio) -- yes, I DO own a Giacchino score!
QUO VADIS (Rozsa)
BEN HUR (Rozsa)
MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Sato)
CINDERELLA (Doyle)
ATLANTIS: THE LAST DAYS OF KAPTARA (Bateman)
LA BELLE ET LA BETE (Adenot)
MAYHEM (Moore)
THE ITALIAN KEY (Kantelinen)
CUBAMERICAN (Carlos José Alvarez)

I buy every Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Giacchino, and Elfman expansion that gets released, regardless of if I'm familiar with the score or not, plus the expansions for any scores I already like that come out by other composers

But I haven't listened to them all yet, no.  I have so much great film music to discover for the rest of my life, it's wonderful.

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (Horner)

Better delete the whole thing and get Bernstein's original!

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I buy every Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Giacchino, and Elfman expansion that gets released, regardless of if I'm familiar with the score or not, plus the expansions for any scores I already like that come out by other composers

But I haven't listened to them all yet, no.  I have so much great film music to discover for the rest of my life, it's wonderful.

I wasn't aware you're a Giacchino fan. What's the best tracks you've got to recommend for someone who's not that familiar with the composer?

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better delete the whole thing and get Bernstein's original!

I obviously have the Bernstein. But I'm hoping that somewhere in there, in the mediocrity that is Horner's MAG 7, there lies a pretty decent listening experience.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I obviously have the Bernstein. But I'm hoping that somewhere in there, in the mediocrity that is Horner's MAG 7, there lies a pretty decent listening experience.

If it does, it was too short for me to notice!

Krull

The River

Jaws 2

Titanic

Recently, I was trying to get through all the expansions I still hadn't listened to. I got through Star Trek 3, Dracula (Williams), and Legends of the Fall. After that, I got caught up re-listening to those same 3. It's not always a good idea to try and digest too much new music all at once.

I have a lot of OSTs I've never listened to, and tons of other non-film music CDs and LPs as well. I always keep working on it, but I'm afraid to say the condition seems to be permanent.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Super 8 and Tomorrowland feature some of the best themes he's come up with for films

Cool, but Super 8 is from 2011. So, it technically fits on the second era, right?

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I have a lot of OSTs I've never listened to, and tons of other non-film music CDs and LPs as well. I always keep working on it, but I'm afraid to say the condition seems to be permanent.

This is increasingly becoming the default state for me as well.

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Cool, but Super 8 is from 2011. So, it technically fits on the second era, right?

Fixed my post

4 hours ago, Jay said:

His Alias scores are fun and techno-y but I guess don't have as broad of an appeal as what he would end up doing later

I've become somewhat disillusioned by Giacchino over the years, and haven't gotten any of his more recent stuff (or listened to much of what I have in quite a while). But I'd pick up more Alias in a heartbeat. There was a lot of great stuff in the later season, and with all the leitmotifs, it should also make a coherent album experience.

How did this become a GIACCHINO thread.?

Afaik only STAR TREK was expanded.

?😗

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

yes, Saving Priave Ryan... Waste of money. And it's all JWFan's fault too! I felt guilty about not supporting the JW/MM train back then and just kind of liked the score.

Laurent Bouzreau would have done it better.

😆

I've become somewhat disillusioned by Giacchino over the years, and haven't gotten any of his more recent stuff (or listened to much of what I have in quite a while). But I'd pick up more Alias in a heartbeat. There was a lot of great stuff in the later season, and with all the leitmotifs, it should also make a coherent album experience.

Oh man you ain't kidding; The scores to the final seasons of Alias is a holy grail of mine.  Fantastic themes and fantastic action music!  A lot (all?) of that was by Chris Tilton, and not Giacchino, though.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

How did this become a GIACCHINO thread.?

Afaik only STAR TREK was expanded.

?😗

So far four Giacchino scores have been expanded by the specialty labels: Medal of Honor: Airborne (LLL), and his Star Trek trilogy (Varese)

Additionally, many Giacchino scores that didn't have physical OSTs otherwise got one through a specialty label: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (LLL), Secret Weapons over Normandy (LLL), Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (LLL), Sky High (Intrada), Medal of Honor: Airborne (LLL), Up (Intrada), and The Book of Henry (Quartet)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh man you ain't kidding; The scores to the final season of Alias is a holy grail of mine.  Fantastic themes and fantastic action music!  A lot (all?) of that was by Chris Tilton, and not Giacchino, though.

When did Tilton join? Are S2-S4 still all Giacchino? (I'd also really like a Blu-ray release of the series. I've watched it twice and would like to revisit it again)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So far four Giacchino scores have been expanded by the specialty labels: Medal of Honor: Airborne (LLL), and his Star Trek trilogy (Varese)

Additionally, many Giacchino scores that didn't have physical OSTs otherwise got one through a specialty label: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (LLL), Secret Weapons over Normandy (LLL), Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (LLL), Sky High (Intrada), Medal of Honor: Airborne (LLL), Up (Intrada), and The Book of Henry (Quartet)

Sky High was a premiere release, and was not available digitally before Intrada’s release. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When did Tilton join? Are S2-S4 still all Giacchino? (I'd also really like a Blu-ray release of the series. I've watched it twice and would like to revisit it again)

Tilton did Seasons 4 and 5, and probably worked on earlier seasons in some capacity. 

@Jay Tomorrowland is my favourite Giacchino score of recent years, it's like a little, underappreciated gem. I thank myself everytime I listen to the score for having bought the CD before it went OOP (after only a month or two). 

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think about Up and The Book of Henry?

Never read it.

UP , FILM and score are wildly overrated.

INSIDE OUT is far, far superior.

Check out DOTPOTA( if you can find it) A real step up , esp. the orchestration!

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Help! This thread is now about both expanded releases AND Giacchino! Quickly, someone show me the exit door, please! ;)

I tried to derail the MG discussion , Thor.

Im sorry I failed you😞

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think about Up and The Book of Henry?

I think UP is OK.  Married Life is amazing, and the overall score has some good themes and moments, but I don't find it to be a completely solid listen from start to finish.

I kind of think all his Pixar scores are a bit overrated; All of them have great themes and moments but overlong albums IMO.

The Book of Henry has a pretty cool overture track, but nothing special beyond that.

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When did Tilton join? Are S2-S4 still all Giacchino?

AFAIK Giacchino did seasons 1-3 solo, but maybe Tilton did uncredited work; No idea.

Seasons 4 & 5 overlapped with LOST seasons 1 & 2.  The episodes officially said Music by Michael Giacchino, Additional Music by Chris Tilton but I suspect Tilton actually did most if not all of the heavy lifting.  The scores to seasons 4 & 5 are noticeably different (and better) than 1-3

(I'd also really like a Blu-ray release of the series. I've watched it twice and would like to revisit it again)

FYI: The show has been streaming for years now in High Def, however, almost all the original pop/rock songs have been changed out for cheap imitations because they never secured streaming rights for the big name songs back when they made the show.  The DVDs luckily have the original audio intact.  So your best best is to stick with the DVDs, or find some kind soul online who married the DVD audio to the streaming HD video

Unfortunately a Blu Ray release is extremely unlikely because Disney doesn't do TV on Blu Ray any more.

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Jay Tomorrowland is my favourite Giacchino score of recent years, it's like a little, underappreciated gem. I thank myself everytime I listen to the score for having bought the CD before it went OOP (after only a month or two). 

I think it's pretty appreciated, it got a ton of discussion here when it came out at least.  And yea, he really put a lot into that one, I dunno if the movie really spoke to him or if he found inspiration elsewhere

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Tomorrowland is Giacchino’s last great score, in my opinion. 

The film was a huge disappointment.

It had a great premise but the story was a dud.

I need to listen to the score apart from the film to make an informed judgement.

I have THE INCREDIBLES for.sale on Marketplace