That elusive JW CD.

bruce marshall

Is there one JW CD you want but haven't been able to find a copy?

I'm not talking expanded or UNRELEASED, but oop, htf, too damn expensive one.

For me, my collection won't be complete until I snag CHECKMATE;

currently going for $$$ on the secondary market😞😡

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thanks!  but I'm looking for the FSM which also has RHYTHM IN MOTION.

44 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Japanese CD of the 1984 Olympics. Still trying to find it for a decent affordable price.

I had the lp.

I bought it for the Philip Glass track.

Yes. My current Williams CD shortlist is this:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips
John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie
John Williams - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
John Williams - Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
John Williams - Live in Vienna (Blu-ray + CD)

The last one hasn't come out yet, but the others I'm trying to find to a decent price online. Even something 'regular' like RISE is prohibitely expensive. I'm not buying it untill I find it for LESS than 100 NOK (about $10), including shipping.

If you include LPs, you could also add the super-rare Deutsche Grammophon release that includes "Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble", but I have little hope of ever finding that.

For the record, I own all of these (except the "Live in Vienna") in digital file format. I just need to have them in physical format too, to have a collection that satisfies my definition of 'complete'.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It came out two weeks ago, but it's out of stock everywhere.

I'm talking about the version that includes the Blu-ray, not just the CD. I was under the assumption that the Blu-ray version comes out in October or some such thing?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

If you include LPs, you could also add the super-rare Deutsche Grammophon release that includes "Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble", but I have little hope of ever finding that.

For the record, I own all of these (except the "Live in Vienna") in digital file format. I just need to have them in physical format too, to have a collection that satisfies my definition of 'complete'.

The Sinfonietta LP can still be found, probably easier and cheaper than the Japanese CD release from a few years ago.

The Live in Vienna BD was released on August 14 all over Europe, but it's currently out of stock.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I had the lp.

I bought it for the Philip Glass track.

I do have the old LP.

35 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Sinfonietta LP can still be found, probably easier and cheaper than the Japanese CD release from a few years ago.

Really? I haven't looked for it in YEARS, but that's good news.

37 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/stanley-iris-the-deluxe-edition?_pos=30&_sid=24f9c4af6&_ss=r

or is this a no-go because it's expanded?  seems like a decent price.

I'm not buying it for STANLEY & IRIS (I'm pleased with my old 90s OST of that), but because of the previously unreleased PETE'N'TILLIE. Alas, $20 plus $14 shipping, i.e. $34, is way too much for my economy, and for a single CD, and with terrible exchange rates. Same if I buy from their new overseas division: £17.50 plus £5.50, £23, is way too much. My absolute roof on this is $15 (or £11.50), in total.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Even something 'regular' like RISE is prohibitely expensive. I'm not buying it untill I find it for LESS than 100 NOK (about $10), including shipping.

How's that prohibitive, I've never found new albums for for that cheap!

I have, for decades! Alas, the landscape has changed considerably in the last few years. Hard to find those deals now. But I have hope and patience.

6 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Japanese CD of the 1984 Olympics. Still trying to find it for a decent affordable price.

Yes, this would be mine as well, @Miguel Andrade.  Rarely do I see it for less than US$700 on eBay, Discogs, etc.

EDIT:  Oh, forgot about the FYC CDs for The BFG, SW:TLJ, and SW:TROS, too.

25 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Yes, this would be mine as well, @Miguel Andrade.  Rarely do I see it for less than US$700 on eBay, Discogs, etc.

EDIT:  Oh, forgot about the FYC CDs for The BFG, SW:TLJ, and SW:TROS, too.

And of course, count me in for those promos... with the exception of The Rise of Skywalker, which I was able to find for slightly more than the commercial release :)

17 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

And of course, count me in for those promos... with the exception of The Rise of Skywalker, which I was able to find for slightly more than the commercial release :)

Oh believe me, I haven't forgotten! :lol2:

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Is there one JW CD you want but haven't been able to find a copy?

I'm not talking expanded or UNRELEASED, but oop, htf, too damn expensive one.

For me, my collection won't be complete until I snag CHECKMATE;

currently going for $$$ on the secondary market😞😡

Make sure you buy the most recent version released in 2015 by fresh sound records, the sound is far way  better than the one on the old FSM cd.

the-music-from-checkmate-the-music-from-

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Eiger Sanction for me.

Re-issue, please!

I'm having trouble to catch a decent priced copy of Cinderella liberty too... one day, I'll lost my nerves and do a dumb move!

I got that one when it came out, luckily.

Since the isolated score Mike made for that has more music than the LP/CD, I wonder if Intrada will revisit it some day?

I never was able to watch the movie till the end, there's very few JW music in it!

A trick for all of you, if you didn't already knew it:

You go to my disco page, and you search for the keywords "fresh sound records", then you'll discover splendid things. They reissued top quality JW old collab albums, we like them very much!

Listen to Bespin and you'll live longer... poorer, but longer!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

I think it will be redone one day.  It's the only non-Indy Spielberg/Williams collaboration that got an expansion MM didn't eventually redo himself

It will be rereleased once you've purchased the old LLL release, so just get it over with! :)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I think it will be redone one day.  It's the only Spielberg/Williams collaboration that got an expansion MM didn't eventually redo himself

Did MM do 1941?

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm looking for Hook LLL, but haven't seen it for a decent price, and still waiting on the chance it will be re-released...

I've stopped watching for it, I wait for a proper new expansion.

The expansions of Jaws, CE3K, ET, Jurassic Park and the Indy tril by major labels were not by Mike, but he eventually redid all of those for the specialty labels apart from the Indy tril.

Hook is the only specialty label Spielberg expansion that wasn't by Mike

I don't have the following CDs

Goodbye Mr Chips

The Reivers

The Paper Chase

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Images

Cinderella Liberty

Jane Eyre

The Eiger Sanction

I've got them all on digital however.  Definitely a mixed bag.

I'm with Jay - Paper Chase, Conrack, Eiger Sanction.

There are some OOP 50s-60s albums I may not have (I've bought everything that's affordable), but I'm indifferent.  I'd likely buy those if they were re-released at a reasonable price.

I opted out of the Lost in Space and Land of the Giant boxes - I have some albums and am fine with my limited selection of those.  I have limits to my completionism.

The specialty labels are bound to tackle Eiger Sanction eventually

But with Disney owning Fox, will we ever see Paper Chase and Conrack pressed to disc again?

Forgot I also do not have any of the 1960's comedy scores or Tom Sawyer, musicals and comedy scores are not my thing sorry.  

I also do not have any of the TV collections (LOTG, LIS, Amazing Stories).  

Goodbye Mr. Chips infuriates me.  $200?  Really, guys?  I'm not even really after it, I just want to fill the gap.

Eiger Sanction for sure.

And yes, please to Conrack and Paper Chase.  Those old FSM CD's are ancient history now.  

24 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Forgot I also do not have any of the 1960's comedy scores or Tom Sawyer, musicals and comedy scores are not my thing sorry.  

I also do not have any of the TV collections (LOTG, LIS, Amazing Stories).  

If you like his film scores, you will like his two Amazing Stories episode scores.

If you don't care about having the original recording and are fine with a re-recording, Varese funded a re-recording of The Mission's score back in the day.  It's OOP now, but only $25 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00000J2T5/

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you like his film scores, you will like his two Amazing Stories episode scores.

Oh I've got them all in digital form and they're a good listen, I just missed out on the initial sale.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm talking about the version that includes the Blu-ray, not just the CD. I was under the assumption that the Blu-ray version comes out in October or some such thing?

In the US. In Europe, it was released on the same day as the "regular" CD. I bought it locally on that day.

Had: sold or traded

AMAZING STORIES*

PAPER CHASE

JANE EYRE

I would have kept them if you told me you wanted them#😉

*still have an extra booklet

32 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I missed Jaws 2 expanded due to a series of events like being Out of stock when I wanted to order it or forgetting

I have the ost on Varese which is excellent.

Maybe you can pick that up for a reasonable price?