That elusive JW CD.

bruce marshall

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Yikes. JANE EYRE is easily in my top 5 JW scores of all time. But to each their own and all that.

How Do you say " Yikes" in Norwegian.

😆

1 minute ago, Amer said:

For me:

1. Presumed Innocent

2. Step Mom

3.Goodbye Mr Chips

4.The Eiger Sanction

I've come across used copies of PRESUMEFD INNOCENT for very reasonable prices.

Has it become $$$?

31 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

How Do you say " Yikes" in Norwegian.

😆

I've come across used copies of PRESUMEFD INNOCENT for very reasonable prices.

Has it become $$$?

I wanted to buy this but always hoped than a new DE would come out. So Ive hesitated on that one.

Don't get Stepmom. It's just depressing.

Presume innocent is obligatory!

25 minutes ago, Amer said:

Iwanted to buiy this but always hoped than a new DE would come out. So Ive hesitated on that one.

Never presume!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't get Stepmom. It's just depressing.

No, do get it. It's gorgeous. Love those 'autumnal', atmospheric cues propelled by Parkening's excellent guitar solos.

Capturing the melancholy of autumn. It's probably my favourite season, so I connect to it easily. For Howard L over on FSM, however, it's more 'wintery'. I never got that myself, but we both share a love for this particular score - completely separated from the maudlin film it accompanies.

Stepmom is just fine.  It is not depressing.  If it weren't called "Stepmom", it would be held in higher regard.  

It's definitely not breaking new ground, but it's very listenable, if not "pretty".  Tonally, I file it with Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris, and to a lesser extent Book Thief and Angela's Ashes.  

15 hours ago, Amer said:

For me:

1. Presumed Innocent

2. Step Mom

3.Goodbye Mr Chips

4.The Eiger Sanction

I've never warmed to Presumed Innocent.  I actually sold it a while back, then re-bought it for completism.

I was out of curiosity looking at eBay prices for OOP Williams, and for the life of me, I can't explain why you can still get Long Goodbye, Images, Family Plot, Black Sunday, etc. for under $50, but Goodbye Mr. Chips is at the $200 level with Jaws, Jaws 2, and Hook.  Even the LLL Close Encounters can be had for much less.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Capturing the melancholy of autumn. It's probably my favourite season, so I connect to it easily. For Howard L over on FSM, however, it's more 'wintery'. I never got that myself, but we both share a love for this particular score - completely separated from the maudlin film it accompanies.

To be fair, late autumn can kind of be like winter without the snow. ;)

3 hours ago, Hedji said:

Stepmom is just fine.  It is not depressing.  If it weren't called "Stepmom", it would be held in higher regard.  

It's definitely not breaking new ground, but it's very listenable, if not "pretty".  Tonally, I file it with Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris, and to a lesser extent Book Thief and Angela's Ashes.  

I've never warmed to Presumed Innocent.  I actually sold it a while back, then re-bought it for completism.

I was out of curiosity looking at eBay prices for OOP Williams, and for the life of me, I can't explain why you can still get Long Goodbye, Images, Family Plot, Black Sunday, etc. for under $50, but Goodbye Mr. Chips is at the $200 level with Jaws, Jaws 2, and Hook.  Even the LLL Close Encounters can be had for much less.

FAMILY PLOT was going for $10 on LLL during a recent sale!

The same sale I bought RIO CONCHOS/100 RIFLES😊

/

• 3 weeks later...

I can't bring myself to pay funny money for CDs I saw in shops 25 years ago for a reasonable price, so there's no way I'm going after OOP Varese ones like Eiger. In the meantime, I'm happy to wait patiently until St Michael of Matessino works his magic on:

• Eiger Sanction
  • Hook (especially rejigging the Prologue so it's in B minor like wot it should be)
  • Star Wars IV, V and VI (obviously!)

Once those three are done, I will declare my collection completed to my satisfaction.

Mark

Yeah, I suppose so, but I’ve kept my DCC Raiders CD so that keeps me happy on the sound quality front and I’m not fussed about the few minutes missing from it. As for Doom and Crusade, sure, it’d be nice to have everything with great sound, but the box set isn’t that bad. It’ll do.

Mark

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I've kept my DCC Raiders CD so that keeps me happy on the sound quality front and I’m not fussed about the few minutes missing from it. As for Doom and Crusade, sure, it’d be nice to have everything with great sound, but the box set isn’t that bad. It’ll do.

Mark

You're not welcome HERE!😠

😉😊

My 'suppose so' was referring to the box set, which I know has caused grumblings - I don't usually bother with re-recordings, so the Prague set could be brilliant or dreadful and I wouldn't know! To be honest, the things that are missing from the Indy box set don't bother me much, although the sound quality is a little overcooked/compressed for my taste.

The end credits from Doom is great though - the way the tempo change from Willy's theme to the children's crusade is handled is just marvellous.

Mark

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 9:38 PM, bruce marshall said:

Is there one JW CD you want but haven't been able to find a copy?

I'm not talking expanded or UNRELEASED, but oop, htf, too damn expensive one.

For me, my collection won't be complete until I snag CHECKMATE;

currently going for $$$ on the secondary market😞😡

So close....

Finally found a reasonably priced $$25.99 copy on EBAY.

But someone outbid me.

Think I'll get the non-FSM version with HONG KONG.

Is there anything wrong with that release or does it sound just as good as FSM?

THANKS!

It was practically in my grasp😥

Screenshot_2020-12-17-21-39-09.png

Maybe this lower price is a sign that other sellers will also drop there prices.

I'm seeing alot of unsold copies going for $50 or more

The 2014 CD where it is paired with Hong Kong absolutely sounds better than the 2006 FSM edition where it's paired with Rhythm in Motion.  Sadly it's OOP as well

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01K8MIM2M

But it's available on secondary markets for around $20.

Which is what FSM originally cost.

Thanks for that info.

I've been saving the last slot in my ' TOWER OF WILLIAMS" for that one!

Thanks Jay!

Here ya go

Screenshot_2020-12-18-21-47-02.png

Here's how I reacted to being outbid on EBAY

20201218_203104_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

So close....

Finally found a reasonably priced $$25.99 copy on EBAY.

But someone outbid me.

Think I'll get the non-FSM version with HONG KONG.

Is there anything wrong with that release or does it sound just as good as FSM?

THANKS!

It was practically in my grasp😥

Screenshot_2020-12-17-21-39-09.png

Maybe this lower price is a sign that other sellers will also drop there prices.

I'm seeing alot of unsold copies going for $50 or more

You need to learn how to bid smarter. I haven't lost an eBay auction in years by waiting until the last 15 seconds on an item that's started low and sneakily swooped in by bidding my maximum at about $100, and watching the other panicked bidders suddenly trying to increase their own maximum bids by a few dollars each but the time runs out and they all fail.

You don't understand.

I don't bid.

I offer the original price and.hope no one else bids.

This is only.the second auction for me. The first was IN HARM'S WAY which I won!

Anyway I cancelled AMAZON and purchased it in DISCOGS.

Saved three bucks!

Screenshot_2020-12-18-22-49-43.png

Is HONG KONG any good?

Don't usually like ' exotic' scores from that era.

5 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You don't understand.

I don't bid.

I offer the original price and.hope no one else bids.

That's a bad strategy too. In an eBay auction, if nobody else has bidded, don't place any bid/offer, whichever, until the last 20 seconds, watch to see if anyone else outbids you, and be ready to sneak in with that $100 maximum. Don't worry, you won't be paying $100, you'll only pay what the other bidder offered.

Again. I go on EBAY to buy, not bid.

If someone wants to pay.MORE than the initial bid, they are welcome to it.

I just won't get the item.

I'm not into that scene.

It's like poker.

I don't play against people with vastly more experience and knowledge.

I can confirm that the Checkmate combined with Hong Kong is a great sounding release. I don't actually hear any difference at all between the FSM master and this.... but there is a terrible version out there which I think is just transferred from a record. I think some people confuse that for the FSM. I have that in a box set, and it sounds so bad compared to the Fresh Sounds and the FSM. 

If you've bought that, you could also get this.... then you have all the material from the FSM release without the price tag. 

Johnny Williams - Rhythm in Motion + So Nice (2 LP on 1 CD) Digipack - Blue Sounds (freshsoundrecords.com)