John Powell's FORCES OF NATURE (1999) - new 2020 La-La Land premiere

Jay

I have a vague memory of this movie, but it was - and is - a genre I try to steer clear of. But the music could be good, of course. I like 90s Powell.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

the music could be good

That's why I embedded a 10 minute suite in the main post, so you can click play and see if you like it

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's why I embedded a 10 minute suite in the main post, so you can click play and see if you like it

I know. I haven't gotten to it yet. It was more a 'the music could be good even if the film is crap'-type comment. Checking it out now!

[Edit: Well, that was - uhm - interesting. Not what I had expected. A weird mix of Jon Brion's PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, some acid jazz, some accordions and some cheapish 90s synth samples.]

• 2 weeks later...

STARTS SHIPPING SEPT 15

Order starting at 12 noon (pst) on 9/15 at www.lalalandrecords.com and get your CD booklet autographed by composer John Powell at no additional charge. Autographs are available while supplies last and are NOT guaranteed.

La-La Land Records, 5 CAT STUDIOS and Paramount Pictures proudly present renowned composer John Powell’s (FACE/OFF, THE BOURNE INDENTITY, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, CALL OF THE WILD) original motion picture score from the 1999 big-screen romantic comedy FORCES OF NATURE, starring Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck, and directed by Bronwen Hughes. A delightful cocktail of live strings, percussion and piano, Powell’s score is an intoxicating breeze of edgy romantic fun that marks its world premiere official release with this CD presentation. Produced by John Powell and Batu Sener, and mastered by John Traunwieser, this special release is a limited edition of 1000 units and features additional bonus demo tracks, as well as an exclusive, in-depth print interview with the composer, conducted by writer Kaya Savas. The lively art design is by Dan Goldwasser.

forcesofnature-environmental-Web.jpg

TRACK LISTING:

1. Hospital Stroll (0:40)
2. Airport Ride (1:20)
3. Sarah’s Story (0:54)
4. Train to the Wedding (1:02)
5. Sarah’s Friend (0:40)
6. Can Anything Else Go Wrong? (1:34)
7. Hailstorm (1:26)
8. Shopping Sauce 1* (0:44)
9. Shopping Sauce 2* (0:54)
10. Shopping Sauce 3* (1:42)
11. Sexy Laundromat (1:34)
12. Bummed Out (1:04)
13. In the Bath (0:52)
14. Post Panic Attack (1:16)
15. Fire Kiss (1:34)
16. Ben’s Happy (0:54)
17. Sarah’s Secret (1:46)
18. Truly Ben (1:32)
19. Balcony Scene (3:42)

BONUS TRACKS
20. The Road Ahead (ORIGINAL DEMO) (1:04)
21. Behave (ORIGINAL DEMO) (1:12)

*co-composed with Oliver J. Lieber
Total Album Time: 27:26

Oooooh, produced by Powell!

On 8/27/2020 at 8:13 PM, Thor said:

I know. I haven't gotten to it yet. It was more a 'the music could be good even if the film is crap'-type comment. Checking it out now!

[Edit: Well, that was - uhm - interesting. Not what I had expected. A weird mix of Jon Brion's PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, some acid jazz, some accordions and some cheapish 90s synth samples.]

Quite weird indeed.

I'm guessing this isn't the first time a composer has produced their own score expansion for LLL, but presumably this is a rare occurrence?

Regardless, can definitely get behind more Powell expansions! Very cool to think he's working directly with LLL and producing his own score releases for them. Just goes to show how highly regarded they must be among film composers, great to see more composers aligning with them.

Thinking on future LLL/Powell collabs, a How To Train Your Dragon trilogy box set would be amazing! No idea where the scores were recorded (hopefully London) but Dreamworks and Universal wouldn't be obstacles.

I ordered this with real American dollars.

Sounds fun and if nothing else I want to vote with my wallet to show Powell and LLL that there is an audience for Powell re-issues/archival first time releases

Not that it's prevented me from buying it, but it looks considerably shorter than the promo(?)/bootleg that's been around for years. I wonder what the decision behind the tracklist is.

Was the old boot padded out with music from other scores, source music from other composers, or multiple takes of the same cue? 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Was the old boot padded out with music from other scores, source music from other composers, or multiple takes of the same cue? 

I believe Powell actually removed tracks, given he was a producer for the LLL album.

I saw these two be listed:
02. The Road Ahead (Part 2) (1:53) [Part 1 I believe is the demo on the LLL release]
03. Slushy (2:42)

There's definitely more, but I'm not sure what's actually not here and what might've just been combined or shortened.

From the YouTube suite, it definitely has the accomplished sound you get when a Hollywood composer scores a comedy. The small orchestra you can hear indicates some investment.

I do rather like minimalist electronic music, but I'm not sure it's going to stretch to this score.

13 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I believe Powell actually removed tracks, given he was a producer for the LLL album.

Oh, that's a surprise (especially if the track was available on the promo?)

Maybe Powell took this opportunity to craft an album, and not just dump every single cue on disc; Maybe the old "promo" was not anything he actually put together, but something a fan made from a full session dump

Makes sense! No idea what's missing anyway, just figured on such a short score you'd try to add as much music as possible.

Still, in the long-term it's better that LLL works directly with composers on these things than autonomously.

Personally, I think John crafts great album programs. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Italian Job, The Bourne Supremacy, and How to Train Your Dragon 2-3 all immediately come to mind. I just hope the mastering is decent.

26 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Personally, I think John crafts great album programs. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Italian Job, The Bourne Supremacy, and How to Train Your Dragon 2-3 all immediately come to mind. I just hope the mastering is decent.

He's a bit hit and miss. His older scores tend to have good album presentations (FACE/OFF and ENDURANCE and that kind of stuff). In the last 15 years or so, however, they have usually been too long - including the HTTY scores, which wear out their welcome around the 40-minute mark or so, IMO.

I loved the HTTYD 2/3 albums to bits long before seeing the films (and I haven't seen the third yet). It's got nothing to do with a lack of reconceptualisation - you just don't find the scores as interesting, therefore you think the albums should be shorter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 3:11 PM, GiacchinoCues said:

Not that it's prevented me from buying it, but it looks considerably shorter than the promo(?)/bootleg that's been around for years. I wonder what the decision behind the tracklist is.

John is all about presentation. I respect it.

I got to listen to this twice over the weekend while driving around my town running errands.  There's definitely no mistaking it for any other composer, it sounds like early Powell for sure (just listen to the syncopated, staccato strings in "Train to the Wedding").  A few of the cues take inspiration from a certain style of late 90s British indie pop that was heavy on sampling instruments and a sort of retro-chic reclamation of kitschy music from the 50s and 60s (lounge/easy listening/exotica).  Bands like Saint Etienne and Stereolab spring to mind as comparisons, or even something like the Happy Mondays.

It's pleasant, breezy music that was perfect for driving around.  I'd recommend it only for Powell fans.

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sounds about right

I think I enjoyed his score to Gigli more, not that I can remember much about that one... I think he definitely works best on a broader canvas than romantic comedies!

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 10:30 PM, Jay said:

Have you listened to it yet?  If so, what do you think?

Oh sorry, I completely missed this. I am actually listening to it now for the first time right now. It's a pleasant little album, you can hear some of the Powell-isms making their early appearance. It's bit disjointed stylistically but sounds like more care went into something that would normally get quite a dull conventional score. It's not something you'll necessarily remember but it's a pleasant little score.

Karol

• 1 year later...