Did JW ever recall WW2 memories?

karelm

Title says it all.  My mom was born in the late 30's and has very vivid and terrifying memories of World War 2.  Since JW is several years older, I would assume the same could be true with him.  This plays prominently in much of JW's filmography (especially through Spielberg). He would have been 13 at the time the war ended and imagine this was a formative period that shaped his life experience.  I am just curious if he ever mentioned in an interview a memory of his life during the war? 

On 8/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, karelm said:

Title says it all.  My mom was born in the late 30's and has very vivid and terrifying memories of World War 2.  Since JW is several years older, I would assume the same could be true with him.  This plays prominently in much of JW's filmography (especially through Spielberg). He would have been 13 at the time the war ended and imagine this was a formative period that shaped his life experience.  I am just curious if he ever mentioned in an interview a memory of his life during the war? 

He mentioned it briefly in a recent interview. To paraphrase: he was young, just a child, and followed everything through the radio, and the entire society was incredibly, inspiringly mobilized.

As others have pointed out, he has mentioned it in briefly in interviews now and then. But just bits and pieces, nothing extensive.

John Williams sr. was a marksman, and they even had a target range in their basement in Flushing. So when the war came, he served as as a marine instructor (he didn't go off and fight).

He was just a fledgling teenager when it ended bare 7 months into them.

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

He was just a fledgling teenager when it ended bare 7 months into them.

It's also a period in one's life that one will always remember vividly, the last few years of childhood.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It's also a period in one's life that one will always remember vividly, the last few years of childhood.

13 is hardly the last few years of childhood.