RIP Chadwick Boseman

Disco Stu

Shocking, but deeply sad. He had just became a cultural icon, and was only his way to a really rich career. RIP :(

Rather shocked to read this this morning. I literally JUST saw him in DA 5 BLOODS on Netflix. The film wasn't all that, but the role he plays in it now gets extra gravitas.

Devastating news, taken way too soon!  Even crazier is that he played Jackie Robinson in “42”, he died yesterday, and yesterday was Jackie Robinson day in Major League Baseball, a day in which every player bears the number 42 on their jerseys in honor of him.

This is so sad. He was so young, and he just had became an idol for countless black children all over the world. 

This is a really terrible year for black idols. First Kobe and now Chadwick. :( 

“Purpose is the essential element of you. It is the reason you are on the planet at this particular time in history. Your very existence is wrapped up in the things you are here to fulfill."

- Chadwick Boseman.

A text from Chadwick Boseman; shared by Josh Gad:
image.jpeg

“Inhale and exhale this moment, and thank God for the unique beauties and wonders of this day. We should take advantage of every moment we can to enjoy the simplicity of God's creation, whether it be clear skies and sun or clouded over with gloom.”

Amen. My prayers go out to his wife and family.

Thanks for posting the soundclips , Johnny.

Great tribute.

Maybe we'll get it on CD , someday.

In addition to Jackie Robinson, he portrayed civil rights pioneer Thurgood Marshall.

Also, James Brown.

Amazing!

I rarely cry when a celebrity passes, but I'm welling up over this one😞

I've been reading obits that seem to make claims for him that are dubious.

As I mentioned above , I'm a big fan and his death devastated me.

But was he a " Pioneer" who

1. played the first black super hero?

2. Proved that a  black actor could headline a big budget action film?

These dubious claims do a disservice to people like WILL SMITH who was the star of the blockbuster ID4.

What about Wesley Snipes ( BLADE) Eddie Murphy ( BHC)?

Don Cheadle?(IRON MAN)

He follows in the footsteps of other black actors. Others will follow on.his.

Rip.

It’s absolutely crushing to hear. To think he battled cancer fiercely while shooting these big movies— while keeping it secret from almost everyone— takes real strength.

The Portals scene in Avengers Endgame is even more poignant now.

18 minutes ago, Matt C said:

It’s absolutely crushing to hear. To think he battled cancer fiercely while shooting these big movies— while keeping it secret from almost everyone— takes real strength.

The Portals scene in Avengers Endgame is even more poignant now.

I think most of his coworkers and directors knew. They all just had real integrity to keep it to themselves.

Coogler’s statement saying he was “shielded from details” seemed to imply that he knew he had cancer but not much else. I don’t think he knew the extent of it, treatment etc.

Spike Lee said he didn’t know at all. 

1 hour ago, KK said:

I think most of his coworkers and directors knew. They all just had real integrity to keep it to themselves.

They probably knew he was sick, but it was clear they were NOT aware that he was in advance stages of colon cancer.

Some people don't want to be defined by what they die from. That's why Boseman kept it secret.

Was he aware of his condition while shooting Civil War? Or was that too early and wasn't diagnosed yet?

Also, apparently Elizabeth Olsen is in big trouble from Marvel fans because she didn't make a social media statement about it. Sheesh, must everyone be so damn wedded to their Twitter/Instagram accounts?

Apparently no one knew. Coogler had ZERO idea. Ditto Spike Lee.

It was somehow entirely kept a secret.

Some people are calling into question whether it was ethical to hide something so consequential when literally billions of dollars are on the line and their are insurers and lawyers involved but so it stands - he apparently kept it entirely secret.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Boseman believed he was going to beat the cancer up until a week ago, while preparing to enter training for BP2 (which was initially slated to begin filming March 2021). Then things rapidly went downhill.

Apart from his family members, only his producing partner, trainer, agent and 42 director Brian Helgeland knew to varying degrees about his cancer diagnosis. Marvel and everyone else was kept in the dark.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEnRJPMBPT6/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=A6F6C8A6-307D-416E-A7EE-D47A6226E93F

Life is short and precious. Cherish each moment you have, especially with your loved ones.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lupita_Nyongo/status/1303349474765537280

I can’t watch 42, Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther (especially), Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame without getting a little chocked up.