What kind of soundtracks do you prefer?

mxsch

Calm or action? I'm the action guy, my favourite scores are: All JW SW and Solo, all four IJ, Jurassic Park, Batman, Tomorrow Never Dies, Back to the Future, HTTD

What about calm scores, my picks are: Schindler's List, E.T., Edward Scissorhands

Feel free to write favourite scores too, I'm very interested in checking 'em out

I'm an all-rounder in the sense that I don't care if it's action heavy, or quiet and minimalist as long as it has a core narrative and recognizable themes, or is evocative of the imagery of the film. Sometimes it's an emotional connection, sometimes it's the mood the score evokes. Sometimes I like the music separate from the film in the way that it can often transcend the shortcomings of the script, the story and the editing.

Most of my favorite scores of all time have great action music that's for certain. but overall I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other .  

Great scores come in all forms.

Scores heavy on symphonic action histrionics are what I preferred in my formative years in the 90s and early 2000s - no doubt an extension of my early, pre-film music interest in prog rock, symphonic rock and those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums. I'm still fond of these soundtracks.

But in general, I tend to steer clear of symphonic action music these days. If I listen to action film music, it's mostly funky electronic stuff.

I'm far more into calmer material, and often textural, slow, ambient, lyrical stuff. Often smaller ensembles, or non-symphonic set-ups. All the things that would probably have bored me to tears as a teenager, I now prefer over most anything else. Guess that's part of growing up. Would have been an incredibly boring life if there was no evolution of one's taste.

I like scores that don't maintain the same sort of energy throughout. Variations in tempo, dynamics, orchestration, and so forth are important to me. Nonstop action is numbing and tiresome to me; nonstop subtle underscore bores me to death. A score that offers a variety of emotions is more likely to appeal to me.

Not the only criterion, of course, but I've noticed this trend with the scores I like.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:35 AM, Datameister said:

I like scores that don't maintain the same sort of energy throughout. Variations in tempo, dynamics, orchestration, and so forth are important to me. Nonstop action is numbing and tiresome to me; nonstop subtle underscore bores me to death. A score that offers a variety of emotions is more likely to appeal to me.

Not the only criterion, of course, but I've noticed this trend with the scores I like.

That's actually what I like too.