Which version of "The Lost World" do you prefer, and why?

Josh500

Which version of "The Lost World" do you prefer, and why?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of "The Lost World" do you prefer, and why?

• The Lost World
    • The Lost World (Alternate)

On the LLL release of The Lost World

Sure, the difference is only in the first 14 seconds or so, but still - I feel like John Williams himself couldn't decide which version he likes better, that's why he recorded them both. The first, original version (with the timpanis) is clearly an hommage to Max Steiner's King Kong. However, the alternate version strikes me as a bit more "badass," wilder, more aggressive, and ultimately exciting - hence these days I prefer this version over the original. 

That said, in any case, this piece is one of the most exciting and awesome from the latter part of John Williams's career! Absolutely love it. 

I probably have a slight preference for the original. My edit starts with the original as a prologue and ends with the alternate rounding out the end credits. I find this sequencing to be very satisfying. I like the alternate a lot but the original does feel slightly more like an organic part of the whole.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't someone say there's a third version of this piece? I think it was @Falstaft.

Yeah, I think this is where I mentioned it: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32178-the-lost-world-alternate/&do=findComment&comment=1720844

Basically, there's the OST album version, the alternate version, and then the Signature Edition version (which we hear in the FSO performance, as well as Kunzel, for ex.). I have a hard time keeping them straight, TBH.

My favourite is the revised version from a year after the film. It's such a shame they didn't record this for the third Spielberg/Williams CD, a totally bizarre and thoughtless omission (along with A.I.).

For a long time after I heard the alternate version, I couldn't decide what to make of it. I was so used to the original. This new opening seemed somehow too loud, too over-the-top, too jarring. However, you almost get used to anything. Now I totally get what Williams was trying to do...

Anyway, I like them both, but the alternate version seems more powerful and also more original Williams (and not Steiner)! 

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

Is the alternate version a true alternate recording or just an intro insert?

Of course just an intro insert. The main is exactly the same. But that doesn't bother me at all. 

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

My favourite is the revised version from a year after the film. It's such a shame they didn't record this for the third Spielberg/Williams CD, a totally bizarre and thoughtless omission (along with A.I.).

Has it been recorded at all? Is it on YouTube? 

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Has it been recorded at all? Is it on YouTube? 

6 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Basically, there's the OST album version, the alternate version, and then the Signature Edition version (which we hear in the FSO performance, as well as Kunzel, for ex.). I have a hard time keeping them straight, TBH.

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Is the alternate version a true alternate recording or just an intro insert?

The cue released on the OST album as "The Lost World" is Williams' originally intended end credits music, titled "The Lost World (End Credits)" on the top of the sheet music.

The LLL track titled "The Lost World (Alternate)" is a new composition titled "End Credits Intro", followed by all but the first roughly 14 seconds of "The Lost World (End Credits)", same exact performances and edits as the original track.

I prefer the OST album version that was released upon the film's release (why isn't that an option?), although I could be without the digipack.

I pretty much love each version equally.  Like if either comes on I never wish I was listening to the other instead.

But if I had to pick, I prefer the revised opening.  It's really neat!

I actually had to put the CD into a plastic sleeve that I then inserted in the case, so as not to scratch it. But a plastic sleeve isn't ideal either. So yes, I could be without the packaging. But ultimately, it's the content that counts!

It was. But it's the original packaging, and it's all tied together, so it's not like I can take out the inserts and put it in a regular jewel case, so I'll keep it just the way it is.

However, I DO want to exchange my copy of ATTACK OF THE CLONES. When I bought it on Amazon years ago, it looked like the version with the regular poster art on it. But when I got it, it was the Jango Fett cover. I have no interest in the various character covers they did for this, least of all Jango Fett, so at some point I need to sell it and re-acquire the 'normal' version. Just so it can be in line with the other two prequel soundtracks. I am a little bit picky that way.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

It was. But it's the original packaging, and it's all tied together, so it's not like I can take out the inserts and put it in a regular jewel case, so I'll keep it just the way it is.

I too still have the original diorama packaging somewhere, but I took out the CD and put it in a regular jewel case long ago. No way am I gonna slide the CD into the cardboard folder, where it can easily get scratched! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:07 AM, Falstaft said:

We have an extremely polarized electorate! :)

I suspect there's fraud involved here... :D

On 11/10/2020 at 4:22 AM, Brundlefly said:

The original opening sounds more coherent to the rest of the track.

I thought so too... But only at first.  That's probably because we're so used to it. 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:45 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Which version of TLW do I prefer?

The version which opened JW's LSO concerts, on 3rd and 4th July, 1998, at The Barbican

;)

On 8/30/2020 at 9:55 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

You forgot to vote.

With what I typed, I don't need to vote ;)