Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?

Josh500

Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?   

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?

• Yes, I think so.
    • No, I don't think so. "The Post" was the last.

Indy 5 may be a hope, but I'm not sure about that at all. Remember how long it took to even make KotCS happen! 

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to feel that The Post was indeed the last. 

What do you think? 

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

If the right project will come at the right time... 

Well, that's my question. Will that happen, do you think, or not? 

I really hope so but honestly don't see it happening. I think The Post will be their last collaboration, in spite of their intent to reach 30 collaborations. If they managed to reach 30 film scores in 2024 it would be doubly sweet (in line with the 50th anniversary of Sugarland Express).

But hey, I had my doubts about Williams finishing a third Star Wars trilogy and he ended up writing 10 hours of music plus themes for a spin-off and theme park! More than happy to be proven wrong again.

The more significant factor is the impact of COVID-19 on film production in the US. The handling of the virus there has been utterly disastrous; pair that with international travel restrictions and the prospect of new Spielberg projects in the next few years is slim indeed. Even if Spielberg didn't pass on Indy 5, that project now appears dead in the water (unless they repeat the KOCS mistake of filming the whole movie in the US).

The pandemic and all its consequent restrictions are likely to stay here with us for at least another 18-24 months at the least, so it's better not to hold the breath for any film project materializing soon, sadly. The best we can hope is live concert activities resuming in some form next year so that the new violin concerto can premiere.

Both Spielberg and Williams have longevity genes in their families, so it's definitely heartwarming to hope that they could both be very active for at least another several years from now.

Next year Spielberg will turn 75. At the same age, JW was about to write Indy 4 and was very active doing concerts all around US.

Something still rubs me the wrong way about other composers doing Bride of Spies, Ready Player One, and West Side Story for Spielberg instead of Johnny Dubs.  Like I feel as though Spielberg had the power and clout to select different release dates for these films to accommodate Williams' Star Wars schedule, but elected not to.

if there was no pandemic, we have no idea what Spielberg would be doing next after West Side Story.  Since it was filmed from August-September of 2019 and Spielberg notoriously has a very fast and efficient post-production, it's possible the film has been more or less in the can for quite a while now.  Would we have had an announcement by now of him starting pre-production on a new production of some kind?  Possibly.

But with the pandemic it just seems so unlikely that Spielberg is going to be directing an entire feature length movie any time soon.  Like probably not until 2022 at the earliest.

I do think if Spielberg does shoot another feature, JW will be his first choice to score it, and if JW's health is fine at the time, he will agree to do so

21 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

are they?

Well, the virus ain't gonna disappear overnight and it's running rampant across the US. The sad reality is that Williams is in the highest risk category; if he comes down with the virus it would likely be fatal. I don't want him even conducting in public until a vaccine is widespread, and even that seems like a long shot.

Society might eventually lift restrictions and find a way to "live" with the virus, but it won't change the high-risk factor for certain demographics.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Like I feel as though Spielberg had the power and clout to select different release dates for these films to accommodate Williams' Star Wars schedule, but elected not to.

I doubt even Spielberg has that power now. It's the money that decides.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Something still rubs me the wrong way about other composers doing Bride of Spies, Ready Player One, and West Side Story for Spielberg instead of Johnny Dubs.  Like I feel as though Spielberg had the power and clout to select different release dates for these films to accommodate Williams' Star Wars schedule, but elected not to.

Add those 3 projects to their history and they reach their 30 collaborations (and, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't West Side Story mark their 30th together? What a perfect bookend that would have been to JW's career, considering he played piano on the original score).

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do think if Spielberg does shoot another feature, JW will be his first choice to score it, and if JW's health is fine at the time, he will agree to do so

And ultimately JW is still perfectly able to continue scoring projects from home; risk is only introduced once he attends scoring sessions and mingles with musicians/recording crew. Not sure he'd be interested in writing scores if he wasn't able to conduct them, unless there was no other choice.

Sure but if it isn't safe for JW to leave his house an attend scoring sessions, then it isn't safe for Spielberg to go shoot a movie either

Bridge of Spies was originally set to be scored by JW. Disney and Amblin even worked out schedules and planned a hiatus from Star Wars duties for JW to allow him to spot, write and record the score for BoS and then letting him finish TFA afterwards. However, JW did a medical treatment and had to rest for almost 2 months (exactly the window allowed for JW to do Bridge of Spies), so there was no chance he could work on BoS, as he had to be back at work on Star Wars. I doubt the studio, i.e. 20th Century Fox would have allowed a new release date on such a short notice. Allegedly, Spielberg thought to go on without an original score, but then he and JW decided to ask Tom Newman to do it.

Ready Player One release date was originally December 2017, but then Warner Bros. decided to move it on March 2018 after The Last Jedi release date was moved 6 months ahead from May to December 2017. I think JW's schedule originally was fine nevertheless (he scored TLJ between December and June 2017) and he was still officially attached to RP1 until June 2017, but then Spielberg fast-tracked The Post and basically shot, edited and did post production it in a 6-months turnaround for a release in December 2017. It was virtually impossible for JW to write two scores simultaneously, as he never did that over his career and he doesn't use additional composers to help him out with deadlines. My hunch is that Spielberg offered to score both films and let JW choose whichever he preferred (I guess he chose The Post because it likely felt like more relevant to him).

I currently feel that if JW was never to score something again, I’d be OK with it. He completed the sequel trilogy (the main thing I was worried about when he started scoring TFA ages 83). Anything else now is just a bonus.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If we don't get a new score, perhaps we can expect a Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol. IV.

I guess if they wanna go back and do more highlights from previous collabs. Though “The Presses Roll” is the only new piece they could feature since III, yeah?

Unlikely but I somehow got the idea in my head that it’d be sweet if he were able to do a Star Wars greatest hits album with the LSO that included some or all of the new concert pieces. Even to do one of them in concert would be a special moment, I can’t remember if he had programmed one or not in 2018. That and a 30th movie with Spielberg would be a couple little bows on his career I’d love to see.

And the revised symphony. Premiere and release.

FCHmROl.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

I currently feel that if JW was never to score something again, I’d be OK with it. He completed the sequel trilogy (the main thing I was worried about when he started scoring TFA ages 83). Anything else now is just a bonus.

Same here. Let him work on concert pieces, more Mutter arrangements or anything he likes at his own speed and if anything does come out of it and gets recorded, it's a nice bonus.

We have reached the encore age of Williams. Galaxy's Edge, the ASM collaboration, the Vienna Philharmonic fanfare, are all a part of one big timpani roll.

Unless Williams writes a symphony next, TROS and the 2nd VC will probably be his last masterpieces, and I am more than fine with that. It's a very elegant closure.

Williams has assured many times that he will never retire or withdraw from music, so at least we don't have to be afraid of that. If his health allows him, of course. I'll be happy if he writes two or three more scores for movies that he finds interesting. I don't really believe (I'd like to be wrong) that Indy 5 will be among them.

But look, this is Williams, he surprised us many times, didn't he? Who knows, maybe we have another wonderful decade ahead of us with cool musical projects, including film scores? And remember that Anne-Sophie Mutter is many things, but what she is not is a woman you can say 'no' to. And she certainly won't let the Maestro out of her hands. :)

The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara will probably go into production soon and it's a movie right up JW's alley, so it's a decent chance. I can't imagine they haven't worked out a reasonable security strategy for movie shootings by now. 

Well, let's cut to the case: the poll question really is not so much about Williams and Spielberg but concerns how much longer we think Williams will be alive and active.  Assuming he does not retire, one way or another, and assuming the same for Spielberg, of course there will be more collaborations.  If either "retires," then no more collaborations.  As for any further speculation, let both men live and die in peace.  

I was thinking about this the other day. He's been doing less and less Spielbergs as it is, and I think he might be done.

We know how closely he holds Star Wars to his heart. He might just want to go out with TROS. Not a bad way to go out either, despite how the music was handled in the film.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara will probably go into production soon 

Hm based on what? Haven’t seen any announcements, haven’t heard a peep about it since 2017. I’ve just been assuming he abandoned it.

Interesting. I definitely remember there being some hubbub because he stopped it weeks before filming which upset some international investors. Maybe he was always planning to go back since so much had been in place. Just didn’t seem that way when he kept lining up other movies but you never know with him.

52 minutes ago, publicist said:

I read something about filming in Vatican city not too long ago, but i don't remember where. 

Are you talking about this story from 2017?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24328-yet-another-spielberg-project-the-kidnapping-of-edgardo-mortara/&do=findComment&comment=1422359

The film has been dead ever since then.  He shot The Post and West Side Story instead (Ready Player One was shot in 2016 and not released until 2018)

I still can't find anything by Googling it. Everything seemed to hinge on finding the kid and who knows if he resumed that search after West Side Story or what.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you talking about this story from November, 2017?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24328-yet-another-spielberg-project-the-kidnapping-of-edgardo-mortara/&do=findComment&comment=1422359

The film has been dead ever since then.  He shot West Side Story instead (both Ready Player One and the Post were already shot before that Kidnapping shutdown)

The Post was not, he shut Mortara down right before as Streep mentions in the quote you linked.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Indy 5 may be a hope, but I'm not sure about that at all. Remember how long it took to even make KotCS happen! 

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm starting to feel that The Post was indeed the last. 

What do you 

After the last two star wars 8 and 9 and that horrible horrible han solo theme. JOHN is a shell

Still the greatest though and his mediocrity is better that zims or gias best

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

The more significant factor is the impact of COVID-19 on film production in the US. The handling of the virus there has been utterly disastrous; pair that with international travel restrictions and the prospect of new Spielberg projects in the next few years is slim indeed. 

Covid-19 is, of course, a subject unto itself. The US film industry should really be the last of most Americans' concern right now, what with the country being increasingly engulfed in chaos and violence, ugly politics and racial division, on top of the virus... 

19 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Next year Spielberg will turn 75. 

Indeed. But man, that's a bit shocking. How time flies. 

19 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The pandemic and all its consequent restrictions are likely to stay here with us for at least another 18-24 months at the least... 

Somehow I doubt that. First of all the US economy won't take another 2 years of this. It would totally decimate the country (which already has a debt of like 24 trillion). The Great Depression would look like a day at the beach in comparison. 

I think it'll be over by the end of the year (or beginning of next year), one way or another. 

16 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, let's cut to the case: the poll question really is not so much about Williams and Spielberg but concerns how much longer we think Williams will be alive and active.  Assuming he does not retire, one way or another, and assuming the same for Spielberg, of course there will be more collaborations.  If either "retires," then no more collaborations.  

Not really. It's about Williams and Spielberg. Nobody doubts that Spielberg will make more movies, and Williams will in all likelihood score a few more movies too. 

The only question is, will there be another project that would suit them both? Especially now that we know that a Spielberg movie doesn't automatically mean a Williams score anymore! 

We can thank our lucky stars Williams finished the SW sequel scores and wrote a few top 20 themes in the past years. Yes I consider Rebellion is Reborn,Rise of Skywalker and Galaxy's Edge some of the best concert versions he ever did

But I'd hate that he'd retire from film scoring while he's still at the top of his game .Even if it's forced by Covid 19 related events.

And if they make a 4th Spielberg/Williams album for god's sake check the cables carefully on the recording equipment

So actually John Williams don't work on any film score? Is that right?

He was not supposed to score the next Spielberg movie about that edgardo guy? The movie is supposedly in post production...