Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?

Josh500

Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?   

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see another Spielberg/Williams Collaboration?

• Yes, I think so.
    • No, I don't think so. "The Post" was the last.

38 minutes ago, Bespin said:

the next Spielberg movie about that edgardo guy? The movie is supposedly in post production...

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Are you talking about this story from 2017?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24328-yet-another-spielberg-project-the-kidnapping-of-edgardo-mortara/&do=findComment&comment=1422359

The film has been dead ever since then.  He shot The Post and West Side Story instead (Ready Player One was shot in 2016 and not released until 2018)

RPO could have been the ultimate Williams fantasy/action score .So pissed Spielberg had to do it at the same time as Williams Star Wars schedule. Like he did several time in the past interfering with a major Williams project ( Chamber of Secrets...).

I mean he won't do a movie for 4-5 years then times it exactly when Williams is scoring something else important.Maybe the SW Prequel scores were rushed too because Spielberg released something at the same time as Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the sith

1. Duel 1971 / Sugarland Express 1974
  2. Jaws 1975
  3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind 1977
  4. 1941 1979
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981
  6. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 1982
  7. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1984The Colour Purple 1985
  8. Empire of the Sun 1987
  9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989
  10. Always 1989
  11. Hook 1991
  12. Jurassic Park 1993
  13. Schindler's List 1993
  14. The Lost World: Jurassic Park 1997
  15. Amistad 1997
  16. Saving Private Ryan 1998
  17. A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2001
  18. Minority Report 2002
  19. Catch Me If You Can 2002
  20. The Terminal 2004
  21. War of the Worlds 2005
  22. Munich 2005
  23. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom if the Crystal Skull 2008
  24. The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn 2011
  25. War Horse 2011
  26. Lincoln 2012Bridge of Spies 2015
  27. The BFG 2016
  28. The Post 2017 / Ready Player One 2018 / West Side Story 2020

Oh shit, it's true. It isn't 30 collaborations yet. But it will be.

Ready Player One kinda stings, because March was a stupid release date for a film like that and Williams had nothing on his plate after he finished The Post in November 2017.

The Bridge of Spies timing is understandable, given the way Abrams pushed him with endless rewrites on TFA (and his planned writing schedule was thrown out the window due to illness).

If you included The Unfinished Journey as a collaboration, Indy 5 would've been their 30th collaboration together. Kinda sad that Spielberg moved on but not unhappy that the film is in safer hands now. I still hold out hope they'll find a way to shoot the film next year and release in 2022.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If you included The Unfinished Journey as a collaboration....

Well, if you include that, you might just as well include A TIMELESS CALL. And if we're expanding further, there's also the two AMAZING STORIES episodes.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Well, if you include that, you might just as well include A TIMELESS CALL. And if we're expanding further, there's also the two AMAZING STORIES episodes.

Not disagreements there, it's really all about the feature film collaborations. They said they wanted to reach 30 but I don't see it happening anytime soon (not with the way Spielberg picks up and drops projects).

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

And the DreamWorks logo music.

49 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It pains me to say this but after WOTW, WAR HORSE is the only score I love!

oh duh.

yeah, I'd probably agree, sans WOTW (which I do like a lot!)

I've listened to The BFG 0 times.  Tintin: Once.

I'll eventually give Tintin a listen.

The Post is good.

Lincoln is really good, just not something I listen to a lot.  But the folk tracks always make it on my playlists.

and War Horse is a masterpiece.

I listened to THE POST and liked it alot. Reminds one of NIXON.

But, it's the only film I didn't see.

8 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I've listened to The BFG 0 times.

Too many. 😆 😆 😆

8 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

and War Horse is a masterpiece.

Tis.

On 9/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, mrbellamy said:

It is irritating that Spielberg has this habit of coincidentally interfering with other JW prospects when he has a whole lot of nothing going on the rest of the time, except it’s biting him back now. And yes that he felt like he had to do West Side Story now when he could do literally anything else while Williams is around.

As much as it would be amusing to see Spielberg managing projects exclusively around JW's availability, it's just wishful thinking. There are a lot of things that go into consideration when prepping and producing a film. More often than not things are being put in turnaround for a variety of reasons. While Spielberg certainly has enough clout to set up a production schedule according to his own wishes, a lot of those decisions are also made in cooperation and agreement with the studio financing the project. It's true that Spielberg has quite a large track record of projects that went as far as into advanced pre-production and then suddenly halted or pushed back, but again the reasons behind those are many and different.

West Side Story is a long coveted project on his part. It's been in preparation for almost 10 years. I'm sure he and JW talked about it and if this would have happened earlier perhaps JW would have collaborated in some way, but it feels like he's not that much into adaptation work in this phase of his life, so he could have passed on anyway.

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

As much as it would be amusing to see Spielberg managing projects exclusively around JW's availability, it's just wishful thinking. There are a lot of things that go into consideration when prepping and producing a film. More often than not things are being put in turnaround for a variety of reasons. While Spielberg certainly has enough clout to set up a production schedule according to his own wishes, a lot of those decisions are also made in cooperation and agreement with the studio financing the project. It's true that Spielberg has quite a large track record of projects that went as far as into advanced pre-production and then suddenly halted or pushed back, but again the reasons behind those are many and different.

West Side Story is a long coveted project on his part. It's been in preparation for almost 10 years. I'm sure he and JW talked about it and if this would have happened earlier perhaps JW would have collaborated in some way, but it feels like he's not that much into adaptation work in this phase of his life, so he could have passed on anyway.

Which is why I said coincidentally since it would be ridiculous to assume he’s doing this on purpose but just the fact that it keeps happening is annoying since I’d obviously like music from JW and Spielberg was until recently the only guarantee of anything.

And I know West Side Story has become his pet thing but I mean, honestly, Steven. I’ll see it, anyway, hope it’s interesting enough.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Post-WOTW Spielberg/Williams

1. Munich - OK score, decent film
  2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - great score, terrible movie.  Also, a terrible OST that doesn't represent the score properly whatsoever.  The session leak was a game changer
  3. The Adventures of Tintin - wonderful score, terrific film.  OST is a nice assembly of highlights, though many more highlights exist, both in the film and still unheard
  4. War Horse - masterpiece of a film score.  Forgettable film
  5. Lincoln - masterpiece of a film score.  OK film
  6. The BFG - great score, OK film
  7. The Post - score does its job in the film, doesn't offer too much as a standalone listen.  The film was good, great cast

i mostly agree, but for me the music quality of TinTin and BFG are on the same masterpiece level as War horse and Lincoln. Just the movies are lighter fare.

Concerning the topic I would love if Spielberg now started with TinTin 2, with or without Jackson as director. The ideal movie to shoot under Corona conditions I would think. And a great opportunity for another fantastic Score

1. Munich - good score, great movie.
  2. KOTCS - good score, terrible movie.
  3. Tintin - great score, great movie.
  4. War Horse - excellent score, ok movie.
  5. Lincoln - masterful score, boring movie.
  6. The BFG - decent score, forgettable movie.
  7. The Post - ok score, ok movie.

Not sure why the limit is set at "post-WOTW". It would make more sense to start the list from KOTC onwards, since there's a considerable time gap between 2005 and 2008. So MUNICH doesn't belong on the list, IMO.

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Which is why I said coincidentally since it would be ridiculous to assume he’s doing this on purpose but just the fact that it keeps happening is annoying since I’d obviously like music from JW and Spielberg was until recently the only guarantee of anything.

The most irritating thing is that JW finally had a clear schedule to reunite with Spielberg on new projects (with Star Wars out of the way) then lo and behold a pandemic shuts the world down. You seriously couldn't write this shit, especially after Spielberg spent 4 years clashing with JW's SW schedule.

Not that he had a bunch of upcoming films put on ice (in fact his slate is suspiciously clear, as if he's going into another one of his multi-year hiatuses) but the timing is incredibly frustrating. Damn COVID!

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not sure why the limit is set at "post-WOTW". It would make more sense to start the list from KOTC onwards, since there's a considerable time gap between 2005 and 2008. So MUNICH doesn't belong on the list, IMO.

I guess the major connection the post-WOTW scores have is that the labels can't expand them (fortunately KOCS and War Horse had sessions leaks, and Munich/The Post are mostly complete on the OST). So we're stuck with OSTs unless the big record labels pay the fees.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I guess the major connection the post-WOTW scores have is that the labels can't expand them (fortunately KOCS and War Horse had sessions leaks, and Munich/The Post are mostly complete on the OST).

Ah, I see. So difficult to have any kind of conversation here that doesn't, at some point, veer into expansion talk, so that aspect passed me by in my skimming. I just read it as a ranking of the films/scores in recent times.

Munich - GREAT score, great movie.

KOTCS - decent score, bad movie.

Tintin - really good score, ok movie.

War Horse - excellent score, ok movie.

Lincoln - very great score, very good movie.

The BFG - ok score, mediocre movie.

The Post - very very good score, good movie.

12 minutes ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Calling KOTCS "a terrible movie" is baffling to me, as far as the adventure genre is concerned.

Even if you disagree, I don’t know why it would be baffling when it’s obviously the popular consensus. Unless you’ve been baffled for 12 years running.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Post-WOTW Spielberg/Williams

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - great score, terrible movie. 
  2. The Adventures of Tintin - wonderful score, terrific film. 
  3. War Horse - masterpiece of a film score.  Forgettable film
  4. Lincoln - masterpiece of a film score.  OK filmm
  5. The BFG - great score, OK fil

Boy do we have OPPOSING views!

-

😁

My ratings:

ost-WOTW Spielberg/Williams

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - mediocre score, good movie
  2. The Adventures of Tintin - forgettable score, awful film.
  3. War HorseMasterpiece score. Excellent film
  4. Lincoln - Dull score.  Good film
  5. The BFG - boring score, boring film

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Why?

Because imho the scores became very traditional after WOTW.

19 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Why?

Because imho the scores became very traditional after WOTW.

There's only, like, a few months between WOTW and MUNICH. You'll have to go to KOTCS three years later to see any change. And I wouldn't use the word 'traditional'. Quite the contrary, Williams' abandons his more traditional, developped style and moves into more motivic territory and/or old Americana tropes.

I'm intrigued by Jay saying the ost of KOCS left off the best music!

Since I sold off my ost, maybe I would buy an expanded version😁

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least it matches the film then.

Well, I agree the Jungle ^ skull stuff was dullsvillem