Classic FM votes Schindler's List No.1 in 2020 Movie Music Hall of Fame

That_Bloke

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Good.

This reminds me of a story I heard about how John reacted to seeing the film for the first time......

What's this story? I don't think I've ever heard it in my life, certainly not in concerts.

SCHINDLER'S LIST has always been a great crossover score (to the classical crowd). Same goes for Nyman's THE PIANO. I remember in the 90s, you would always find Doyle's HENRY V in the classical section, probably due to the Simon Rattle connection, so I'm actually surprised it's not on the list.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't stand the score to The Piano.

What. The. Actual??!! :o

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's a shame. I've always loved it, even if it's over-played and over-exposed over the years. Huge fan of the film too.

Any Nyman is worth listening to. THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT and GATTACA are my favourites.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Typical list and predictable top five result coming from this source. Schindler's List is such a luvvie score on Classic FM, even though it isn't even top twenty material for the majority of film score enthusiasts. 

I had to check my own top 50, and found it at 47th place. Granted, that list 7-8 years now, and needs serious updating, but it's more or less in that territory that I would place Schindler now as well. Film-wise, however, it's top 5 for me.

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

I don't understand why classicalists like Schindler's list so much .Does it sound more snobby?

My opinion is that the melodies and their respective accompaniments have a classic-style sound to them. It sounds like something Schubert, Brahms, or Mendelssohn could have written, or in that style.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:22 AM, SteveMc said:

Good.

This reminds me of a story I heard about how John reacted to seeing the film for the first time......

What was his reaction, can you explain?

Most of your predictable choices there. Though how Hildur makes it on there, and the likes of Jóhannsson and Greenwood don't is perplexing.

5 hours ago, Steve said:

What was his reaction, can you explain?

I don't remember exactly.  Something to do with needing dead composers to score the movie.

• 2 weeks later...